PDA

View Full Version : OT: outdoor wedding shower ideas

COElizabeth
06-23-2003, 10:35 AM
DH and I are hosting a couples wedding shower for my SIL and her fiance. We are having it at a picnic area in a local park because our house is too small for the group (about 35). We'll do a cook-out of some kind, and I had a fabulous rum punch at a party the other day that I want to serve, but other than that, I am not coming up with any brilliant ideas. I especially need some ideas to make it seem like a wedding shower and not just a BBQ. The area is not covered, so we can't really hang stuff. Also, SIL may do a luau theme for their reception, which is also outdoors, so I want to stay away from that. One thing I am doing (at her request) is asking people to send me favorite recipes, and I have a book I am going to use to compile them. Suggestions?

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

jeneli
06-23-2003, 12:43 PM
What about a western/cowboy theme? That's the only thing I could think of (besides a luau) that could work well for a couples outdoor picnic/BBQ. I know it doesn't immediately scream "wedding," but I think you do some cute things with it, and having a theme would at least make the party more "special" then the every day BBQ in the park. Some ideas... you could get cowboy hats for the bride & groom to wear and give out his & hers bandanas as favors. The tables could be set with red gingham table cloths and cowboy hats or boots (better yet -- a "pair" of boots!) filled with dried flowers for the centerpieces. Other decorating ideas could include cows (either as a decal on plates/napkins or you could get 2 little cow stuffed animals and put a veil on one and a bowtie on the other!) and horseshoes (maybe you could tie in something about being "lucky" to have found each other?). For the invitation, you could write something about the couple "Lasso-ing" each other, or even make a mock-up of an old west "Wanted" poster. I don't know if you (or the couple) likes country music, but another party favor could be a CD with country love duets or something. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!