PDA

View Full Version : Signs...signs...every theres signs

farsk
06-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Hi everyone!

My first is due in 5 short weeks!yay! and I would like some ideas for a sign to hang on our front door to the effect of..."thanks for coming to see us, but we're not taking visitors right now, come back later" for when we're sleeping or just not in the mood for visitors. I want it to be nice, but firm, so people won't ignore it and knock anyway. Also, a friend suggested that if people wanted to come over to see the baby and "help" that there be a sign-up chore list outside the door for them to decide what they wanted to do while they were there, ie. fold laundry, load dishes, return items, etc.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) both sides of our family live in town and many really seem to have a handle on boundries or social graces, ie, call before you come, etc.

I look forward to your advice and thoughts!

Thanks!
-Shannon
Mom to Ellen (edd 7/28/2003)

lukkykatt
06-23-2003, 02:01 PM
How about a sign that says something like "Shh...Baby (and mommy) are sleeping! We would love to see you later, when we are awake." Then maybe you could suggest a time that you would be taking visitors.

I'm not sure about leaving a sign up sheet outside the door for chores. I wouldn't be comfortable doing that. But that depends on you and your relationship with your family.

Luckily (or unluckily) for me, our family lives far enough away that we never receive unexpected company.

Good luck!

AngelaS
06-23-2003, 02:37 PM
We have a sign that I hang over the doorbell that says: Shh! The Princess is sleeping. It has stopped everyone but the Fed Ex man from ringing the bell.

amyinNC
06-23-2003, 08:23 PM
I'm due in a few weeks and just today made a sign like the one at this link that says "Shhh... Baby's Sleeping" on one side and "Baby's Awake... Let's Play" on the other - hoping it will help my neighbors decide when to knock (and maybe the UPS guy too - although that may be too much to ask).

I used a spare piece of wood (4 x 5), drilled two small holes for pretty ribbon, and pasted on the notes (printed on the computer - my handwriting is terrible - on a cute piece of scrapbooking paper) with wallpaper adhesive.

http://store3.yimg.com/I/babyboxcom_1745_25264590

I've also talked my husband into an "open house" after a week after the baby's arrival. We'll send out an announcement email (and maybe on our answering machine too) to friends and family in town - letting them know we'd love for them to drop in to see Baby from "10 am to noon on Saturday" or something like that. We'll have some close friends help with food and drinks. IMO, knowing in advance when to expect guests will be less stressful than people popping in all the time.

Amy

Melanie
06-24-2003, 03:15 AM
Most probably just want the "news" so I suggest putting something on your answering machine along the same lines...

"Thank you for coming to welcome new baby Ellen. She was born On at Time Weighing Pounds And Inches Tall. She looks just like Mama (or some other silly thing). Mama, Baby & Daddy are doing well, but are resting as much as possible. We'd love it if you'd sign our notebook (or whatever) with your well wishes so we know you stopped by and can contact you soon."

Or something like that...Maybe even add a photo?

The Open House sounds like a nice idea if you are up to it. I would not have been and neither was my house or my refridgerator.