PDA

View Full Version : Minivan or SUV?

Mom2Miri
06-23-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi All,

We're in the market for a new car. While we like small cars, we need something that will fit the car seat, the stroller, and a large dog carrier. Right now the stroller and car seat barely fit with us in the car. Thus we're looking at either a minivan or SUV.

Any opinions on which one is better for life with baby? Any features that you especially like?

Helen
Mom to Mirielle 2/25/03

Momof3Labs
06-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Helen, here's a recent thread with many thoughts/opinions.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID30/1947.html

We used to have a Suburban and now have a Honda Odyssey and I like it SO much better for Colin! With SUVs, you have to lift baby up into the car seat (or climb into the back seat to get them in). With minivans, you go straight in and can usually strap baby in from the outside.

And you have to go with a pretty big (expensive, gas-guzzling) SUV to get the same cargo space and passenger space as a minivan. The small car-based SUVs that are so popular now really don't have a whole lot more space than a sedan.

egoldber
06-23-2003, 06:51 PM
I completely agree with Lori (although I LOVE my Dodge Grand Caravan). To get equivalent storage you need a large SUV like a Yukon or Expedition or larger.

One of the things I love on my minivan is the power sliding everything. Both side doors AND the rear hatch open from the key, which is incredibly handy when you have an armful of toddler, grocery bags and it's starting to rain.

I find it much easier to put Sarah in her carseat in the minivan. My friend just got a Yukon XL and it works for ehr since she is tall, but I would have to climb up into the SUV to get Sarah in the seat.

HTH,

MelissaTC
06-23-2003, 07:11 PM
I have an Explorer and while I like it for the room, drive, etc.. (I LOVE my car), it is not super family friendly. I am short and have to lift Matthew into his carseat. I hit his head on the roof all the time...and I feel awful about it.

I am considering the Honda, Toyota, (DH wants the Mazda MPV) and I recently fell in love with the Chrysler Pacifica. I am so not a minivan kind of Mom so I am going to check out the Acura MDX as well. I have two dogs so I need room for them too.

This is giving me such a headache....lol :P

momathome
06-23-2003, 08:51 PM
We just test-drove a 2004 Toyota Sienna and we love it! I'm pretty sure we are going to order one this week. It was so comfortable to drive, had plenty of room, the third-row seat folds down into the floor if you need more cargo space - it was awesome! We are going to get the TV/DVD player for the van so that our girls will have something to do on long trips besides fighting with each other! Good luck!
-Lauren

etwahl
06-23-2003, 08:57 PM
DH says we can never have a minivan...we're suv people! Who knows though, maybe he'll change his mind when we have two kids (if we ever have two kids!) We have the mercedes ml320 (the cheap one) and we love it. It seems really roomy to us. One thing that would be nice about a minivan though is the sliding door in a small garage. I find I'm always bumping the door into the car in our current garage. I think our new garage is bigger, so it shouldn't be quite a deal anymore.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Melanie
06-24-2003, 03:12 AM
We love our Matrix...it's quite the happy medium for us. Not an SUV, not a Minivan. I think they call it a CUV for Crossover Utility Vehicle. Whatever. :P

MartiesMom2B
06-24-2003, 09:24 AM
I have told DH that our next vehicle is going to be a minivan. The first car I drove was a Toyota Minivan (yes that's the model's name remember those?). My cousin worked for a consumer guide on books and I feel that Minivans are safer than SUVs and they do have a lot of room in them. My neighbors have the Chrysler van, I don't know what it's called and its pretty neat. I'm hoping by the time that I get a van that the DVD players will come standard.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

kransden
06-24-2003, 09:34 AM
We have a Nissan Pathfinder which I love, but it is not baby friendly. It replaced our Toyota Previa van, which I loved and still miss. We had it prechildren. It died at 177,000 miles. The fold away seats made my life so much easier. You just can't get all the stuff you need in the SUV with a baby. I bought dd a cheap hard-sided 5' pool for the summer. It was a nightmare to get home. It would have been easy with a van or in the SUV w/o dd (but leaving her at WalMart wasn't an option :)). I would check Consumer Reports and find out what van is rated best in your price range. I am looking at the new Nissan Quest, but it is a total redesign, so I will wait a year or 2.
Karin
Katie 10/24/02

Mom2Miri
06-24-2003, 12:58 PM
Thanks Everyone! I do like the functionality of the minivan better but DH likes the concept of an SUV better :)

And from the comments my other "naive first time mom question" has been answered. I was going to ask if the amount of gear you need to carry around gets less as they get older but I gather the answer is no.

Helen
Mom to Mirielle 2/25/03

ginalc
06-24-2003, 02:50 PM
<I was going to ask if the amount of gear you need to carry around gets less as they get older but I gather the answer is no.>

You're right. It's just different gear. Goggles and pool toys, Game Boys, Books, board games, juice boxes, card games, other toys, you name it. With my soon-to-be 13 yr old, it's hair brushes and pony-tail holders, lip gloss, a little eye shadow, a pic' of her favorite teen idol :) and a CD player to plug into the lighter outlet. And don't forget the music to play in it!

Just different gear. :)

gina, mom to 3

lvp49
06-24-2003, 06:55 PM
My two year old can now climb into the van and into her car seat by herself. NO lifting!! We went from a Jeep Grand Cherokee that we loved, well still do because we still have it, to a Honda Oddyssey. NO regrets. (the toyota was not available yet, or I think it would have been a serious contender)

stillplayswithbarbies
06-24-2003, 08:10 PM
We have an SUV, a Dodge Durango. With a baby and a 12 year old, it is not big enough. We are looking at bigger SUVs, but I really think we will end up with a minivan next.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

votre_ami03
06-25-2003, 05:41 PM
DH says no way to mini-van's. *lol* We have the Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV & he has a Dodge full size p/u. I really like my Montero. Can't tell you how baby friendly it is yet, but I have had my sis's crew in their several times, including toddler + car seat. No prob!

Christy
EDD - 7/26
Boy! Nolan

mharling
06-25-2003, 11:36 PM
Dh & I just decided to get the Honda Pilot. It's a mid-size SUV that's on the same platform as the Honda Odyssey. We test drove it on Friday and really liked how we felt in it (i.e. not too high up) and how it handled. It got a 5-star safety rating from the NHTSA.

There is a fair amount of space in the rear and you can fold down the seats for more. The only negative I can come up with is that the far seat would not be friendly for adults as there wasn't a lot of leg room (not a big deal for us). I was, however, pleasantly surprised at the amount of room in the middle seat, including leg room. I sat next to the car seat in the back while dh drove and it was comfortable. Doing so in the back of our sedan (Acura TL) is a touch squishy.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions for you after we pick it up. Good luck with your decision!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18