PDA

View Full Version : How many of us are dealing with dirty dipes & older kids at the same time?

KimberleyDawn
06-24-2003, 10:57 AM
It's definitely quite an experience to be worrying about poopy diapers one minute and then switching gears to try and have my other son sit still while we talk about sex (lol).
Kim

Kimberly H
06-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Kim,

That will be me! I have 2 boys - 14 and 12 - and China just dropped their adoption suspensions so we're back on track again for Mia. Should be very, VERY interesting!

emmiem
06-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Finally, someone else who has those same issues. I have a mature 13 year old girl and a 2 year old! It is amazing how your priorities shift when you don't just worry about baby issues. Lots of moms are worried about when to potty train and I know that there is no real rush. It's bound to happen before their four!

bluej
06-24-2003, 02:17 PM
"sit still while we talk about sex"

Oh this is me! However, I took care of the menstration/sex talk w/ my nine year old daughter two months ago (before Ryden was born). You're right, she couldn't sit still! And throughout the entire pregnancy I had to deal w/ a four year old asking how the baby got in my tummy (he didn't fall for 'God put it there' like Alex did when she was that age) and how was it going to get out. So I had to have a 'modified' sex talk w/ him. My greatest fear was that he was going to share the details of that talk w/ his preschool class!

It's interesting to go from baby talk, to a stern talking to as to why we can't have candy for lunch, to girly chit chat all in a matter of minutes.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-24-2003, 03:00 PM
Me! Dealing with getting the 12 year old registered for summer camp and the 3 month old registered for day care. . .

Nursing the baby and hearing the 12 year old bellow "mom I'm hungry what can I eat" . . .

Looking at my 5'5" first "baby" and remembering when he was the size of my 12lb 6oz new baby . . .

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

ginalc
06-24-2003, 03:34 PM
Count me in! :) I have a 6 month old, a 2.5 yr old, and a 12 yr old.

I struggled through attemmpting to make it to basketball games, track meets, and recover from a challenging delivery with baby #3 this past year. Hopefully this next school year will be easier.

My soon-to-be 13 yr old gets to act as both my "mother's-helper" and my child. I found a terrific website that has helped me greatly!

http://www.canadianparents.com/

There is an article called "Ten Ways to Help your Teenager Develop Self-Discipline" that I have posted in my kitchen. I like the idea of gradually working myself out of a job with my oldest.
Helps her develop confidence and life skills at the same time! :)

gina, mom to 3

KimberleyDawn
06-24-2003, 09:13 PM
Gina,
That's a great link!
Thanks,
Kim

ddmarsh
06-24-2003, 10:00 PM
Count me in :). My boys are 11, 9 and 4 and my baby is 5 months. My first two are 24 months apart and although it was/is great it is also nice having alot of mother's helpers around!

Debbie

KimberleyDawn
06-25-2003, 08:42 AM
Well I'm sure I'm not alone with this problem!
What the heck do you let your kids listen to???? My never ending battle with Chris over listening to Eminem is starting to become a real problem. I find that almost all the music targeted at preteens and up are completely inappropriate! There's too much violence and WAY TOO MUCH SEX TALK in the lyrics (and the videos!!!). How has everyone been handling this?
Kim

jubilee
06-25-2003, 10:29 AM
I also am in this catagory, with an 11 year old and now an 11 week old!! Isn't it wonderful to experience a baby with new appreciation for your older child? Watching your older child goof off to make the baby laugh is so cute!

stillplayswithbarbies
06-25-2003, 10:38 AM
I don't let my 12 year old listen to Eminem unless we are listening with him to discuss it. The lyrics are just too negative towards women. I know he will hear it on the radio, so we listen to the CD in the car and we talk about the lyrics and what he thinks Eminem meant by a certain phrase or whatever.

Read the lyric sheet. Some of them I will not allow to be played at all due to the sexual content.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

KimberleyDawn
06-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Karen,
The problem is I don't want him to listen to Eminem period! He is too young and you're right the lyrics are aweful in MOST of his songs. I guess my real problem is with what his friends are allowed to listen to and when he is with them he listens to it. I will admit that the parents do buy the edited versions most of the time but still... I also, find that Brittany S., Christina A. and Justin T... are just as bad but with the sex. Is there no music that isn't baby stuff but not adult either?
Kim

stillplayswithbarbies
06-25-2003, 01:27 PM
There really is no way to keep Eminem away from kids, it is played on the radio. THe censored versions are not any better, they just blank out the word, but you can tell what it was.

He doesn't have any CDs of his own. In the car we listen to the radio or to our CDs which range from swing to Irish music to Meatloaf to They Might Be Giants to Norah Jones. I guess we have eclectic tastes, and he seems to like the same things we like.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

kathsmom
06-26-2003, 12:15 AM
Just wanted to add my family into the equation here! I have a 7 year old DD and a 9 month old DS, so the age difference is not as great as some of yours. Currrently, I am trying to keep DS occupied while DD does swim team each day. It's not easy, because it is so hot, even in the shade, and DS wants down to crawl.

Julie, I agree, it is quite cute to see what the older sibling will do to make the baby laugh. Andrew just chuckles everytime Katherine dances for him or sings him a song. He totally cracks up when she pretends that she is a dog or cat!

Kim and Karen, I hear you on the Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake thing. Katherine came home one day and said that she wanted to be a singer just like Britney Spears when she grows up. I have NO idea where that came from! We don't let her watch MTV or VH1. Some of her classmates at school have older brothers and sisters, so they might have told her about it.

It's good to know there are other mommies who are starting over like I am with the baby stuff!

Annette_C
06-26-2003, 10:13 PM
You have to admit that I take the cake for the biggest difference in ages between my children: 26, 25 and just turned 1!!!
My first two are 20 1/2 mo. apart. My last two are 24 years apart! Talk about adjustments!!! LOL:)
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02