PDA

View Full Version : should i be worried about neck control?

posterelle
06-24-2003, 02:59 PM
My 3 month old (14 wks) holds his head up nicely when he's on his stomach. But not in any other position.

A nurse pract. asked about his neck control yesterday bc when she laid him on his back & grasped his arms & pulled him toward her, his head just drops back.

If I hold him upright in my lap, he doesn't hold his head up. It's' only when he's on his stomach.

So now i'm concerned. Any thoughts or experiences?

many thanks.

ginalc
06-24-2003, 04:25 PM
I would call her back and talk to her on the phone. It probably is nothing to be concerned about, but ask anyway.

When dealing with children, it's hard to use the term "normal" because every child develops and grows at their own pace. Showing some strength and muscle control over time, like in the past month or since birth, is a better indicator than whether other 3 month olds are able to do as much as or more than your own child.

Don't feel as if you're wasting her time with silly questions. As the mother of your child, it is never too early to act as advocate and speak up. Trust me, it won't be the first time you'll do it! :)

gina, mom to 3

nigele
06-24-2003, 07:04 PM
I wish I could remember exactly when my DS held his neck up but I am SURE it was not before 3 months! DS also sat up late and the ped was worried (so was I) but he is a perfectly normal baby.