PDA

View Full Version : Please send good sleep vibes to my kid tonight...

Rachels
06-24-2003, 08:50 PM
...because her mom is barely hanging on. We're in teething hell, or at least that's what I assume it to be. She has been sleeping SO much better lately, and then the last five nights have just been awful. She's not a happy girl, and I'm in that state which is just one cognition shy of comatose. She just conked out and I'm about to join her, but I have this deep feeling of dread at the thought of embarking on another whole night. I know this too shall pass, I just need some good thoughts while waiting.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nathansmom
06-24-2003, 08:53 PM
Sending sleep vibes to you and Abigail. I am now going through the same thing with Nathan. Maybe we could be late night buddies on the phone giving each other support.

egoldber
06-24-2003, 08:59 PM
I'm sure you're tried this, but just in case, are you dosing her with Motrin before bed? Even with Sarah's worst teething, Motrin ensured at least 6 hours at a stretch before the dose wore off!

Good luck!

KimberleyDawn
06-24-2003, 09:18 PM
Rachel,
I'm not going through teething YET but I remember it like it was yesterday!
~~~~~~HAPPY SLEEP VIBES~~~~~~HAPPY SLEEP VIBES~~~~~~
Kim

Karenn
06-24-2003, 09:21 PM
There must be something in the air! Colin's slept horribly this week too! Hang in there! You've done a wonderful job with her for the last 13 months you'll manage this time too. And it will get better again, it always does!

Happy dreams to both of you!

mamahill
06-24-2003, 10:06 PM
Oh Rachel! I feel your pain. Hang in there. During some of those midnight stretches, I found Baby Mozart on really low and me laying on the couch really helped. As long as I could keep my eyes closed, it almost felt like sleeping. ALMOST. I agree with Beth - dose Motrin before bed if you can, and then again after 6 hours. I noticed after a while that I would dose Ainsleigh at 8pm, and then almost on the dot, she'd wake up at 2 am. Dropper in hand, she'd be back asleep in half an hour (less if I was lucky) and we'd both be happier come morning.

Anyway, sending solid sleep vibes your way~~~~~~~~~~~

lisams
06-24-2003, 10:27 PM
Oh I'm right there with you! DD woke up 6 times, and then we just stopped counting last night. I am beginning to dread the sun going down these days. I keep telling myself that someday she'll be off in college and I'll miss her waking in the middle of the night needing me. I'm hoping that you and Abigail have a nice, restful night. Sleep little ones, sleep!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa

Rachels
06-25-2003, 08:04 AM
Thanks, everyone. I dosed her with Motrin, and while we didn't have any magical six-hour stretches, she did sleep generally better last night. I think she woke up twice, going right back to sleep both times. She was up at six this morning, which felt mighty early compared to her usual seven thirty or eight, and she wasn't too happy. She was wide awake, but didn't want to be put down at all. I gave her some Tylenol, and we snuggled on the couch and read books for two hours. Now she's snoozing again, and I'm going to do the same. I'm always so torn when she naps between the chance to sleep myself and the chance to just have a little time that's MINE. But this time, sleep wins. Thanks for the support!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sweetbasil
06-25-2003, 08:08 AM
I'm so glad last night was a bit of an improvement for you all....with the new baby, I'm up every 2-3 hours at night bfing- you should e-mail and we could keep each other company ;)

Take it easy, and enjoy your nap!

COElizabeth
06-25-2003, 08:39 AM
Glad things were a bit better. It took me hours to get James down last night (until about 10:30), and then he woke 4 times before 7 AM. And this was with Motrin. I am really hoping it's due to the shots he got Monday and not to the 9-12 month pattern you mentioned in the Ferber post (which I have read elsewhere, too). Ugh. I remember my sister saying she felt so horribl3e when her daughter or son had been up even once in the night. I had a newborn at the time and that sounded pretty good, and she said, "I know that sounds like nothing, but when your body gets USED to sleeping all night again, it's really hard to go back!" So true! (and not that I had gotten used to sleeping all night, but maybe up only once or twice!).

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

newbelly2002
06-25-2003, 09:43 AM
I was telling DH this morning (after being up 4 times last night): "How did we ever survive the newborn time?" I guess we were prepared to not sleep then. But after almost 5 months of pretty regular 9-12 hour sleeping, this 2-3 stuff is not fun!

Glad your night was better, if not good, Rachel.

What 9-12 mth interrupted sleeping pattern? I missed that discussion entirely and it sounds like a good one.

Paula , Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b339c8d20516

SpecialK
06-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Rachel,
Thanks for your insight regarding Ferber. I hope Abigail's teething issues are resolved quickly and both of you can get some sleep soon!