PDA

View Full Version : Biting Breastfeeder--Need Help!!!

MommytoDylan
06-28-2003, 11:14 PM
After reading your wonderful posts to Shannon, it is very apparent that there are many caring, experienced breastfeeders out there. I need some help to continue breastfeeding my son. I don't want to wean but am unsure how to make it work.

My little one is 7 1/2 months old and has two teeth. He has begun biting occasionally when he is wound up (tonight just before bed he was pretty excited and playful), if he is frustrated that my letdown is taking too long, or if he is finished. I really can't ever predict when he will bite so I am always shocked when it happens.

Tonight, after he bit me, I pulled him off and said, "No!" really sternly but he got a huge smile on his face and laughed. He thinks I am playing around.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Thank you!

August Mom
06-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Rather than removing the baby from the breast upon biting, another technique (which goes contrary to your natural reaction) is to push the baby's head in toward your breast so that the baby's nose and mouth are against you. The baby will then release the suction and bite. The baby doesn't like this manuever and therefore generally stops the biting. Good luck.

BTW, if it makes you feel any better, my DS also smiles and laughs when we say "no," "don't," "stop," etc.

parkersmama
06-29-2003, 12:15 AM
A second vote for this method!! It's worked for me with both my boys. It stopped the biting after just a few times doing this. It's hard to force yourself to do it but it really works! Good luck!

Melanie
06-29-2003, 01:39 AM
I had heard about the push the baby in to your breast technique as a good solution to when they bite and won't let go, also.

Ds didn't get teeth until 11 1/2 months so we've had very little biting problems. Whenever it did happen, I took him off, said sternly "NO BITING. That hurts mommy." and then put him down on the floor. We use the word 'no' very infrequently in our house...so I hope it makes an impact.

emilyf
06-29-2003, 08:50 AM
Funny to see this-Charlie is 2 weeks younger and has also started the biting thing-it really hurts! I will try the push the face in technique next time-
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

spu
06-29-2003, 09:53 AM
We talked about this technique at my LLL group too and it's supposed to work great. My babies have 6 teeth each and so far, we've been really lucky with the biting, unless they're done nursing and are starting to get silly - but then I distract them with tickling or something else. We get alot of pinching and grabbing though. I just started reading "Mothering your nursing toddler" so if I find anything in there I'll post back.

Try and watch closely too to see if you notice the suckling stopping right before the biting. It may be impossible to predict. If he's getting impatient with the letdown, you could try pumping for a minute before he latches on to get things going in advance.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

MommytoDylan
06-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Thank you so much to all who responded to my cry for help! I felt so discouraged yesterday but knew I did not want to wean because of the biting. I want to continue breastfeeding at least until he's one if we are able.

I will try the technique you all described the next time it is appropriate. Thank you again for sharing your experiences and knowledge!

parkersmama
06-29-2003, 05:54 PM
Let us know how it works out!!

Rachels
06-29-2003, 06:12 PM
I agree-- keep us posted! This is a phase and will pass. Hang in there!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
06-29-2003, 07:48 PM
Oh Meredith - I can sympathize as my DS did the same thing for the longest time. In the past month or so, he has gotten a lot better. He used to bite without any warning but now only does it if he's teething and finished with the nursing session. Do try the other suggestions but know that it is definitely a phase and he will probably grow out of it. On the other hand, my DS constantly sinks his top two teeth into my nipple as he feeds which is not pleasant, but is not as bad as a true bite. I have been working on this but nothing seems to help. Then again, he's getting four more teeth on top, so that might have something to do with it!

Good luck.