PDA

View Full Version : for those who have done xtended vax schedules -- how did it go with your insurance?

zen_bliss
07-01-2003, 02:29 AM
when you did one shot a week instead of 4 at once, did you have any hassles with your insurance payments? i used to have a PPO and it would not have been a problem, but now with an HMO, i wonder if they will refuse to cover the 4 visits when (in their opinion) it could all have been done in one?

i am having a TERRIBLE time getting communication -- i have a good ped with a poorly run office and I can't switch until sept at earliest. i can't even leave a message for the doc, i have to leave it for a surly nurse who does not return calls quickly even when (today) i said i was completely freaking out. and i imagine it will be a real battle to do 1 at a time vax since i got that lecture about moving the appt off of july 4th, since they are already 'squeezing' in patients for shots and those aren't 'real' appts. sigh. welcome to the HMO.

Rachels
07-01-2003, 07:09 AM
I've never had a problem. You know, though, if you feel it's safer for your child to have one vax at a time, your ped's office just has to deal with it. It's a big decision which is not up to the receptionist. But I do think it's maybe worth switching peds when you can. A good ped that you can't get access to is not all that useful. Find a good ped who will talk to or see you when you need it. You could always give one set of shots with your current ped and wait until you switch to give the others, or to continue the series. FWIW, if I had to prioritize that way, I would have given DTaP first and waited on the others.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

muskiesusan
07-01-2003, 07:25 AM
I didn't have any problems with my insurance, and I have had a HMO and PPO. I did have to pay my co-pay for each visit, though.

My sister argued sucessfully with her ped that even though it was technically more than one visit, it was all still part of the 6 month, or whatever, well baby check and should only be counted as one visit, especially since the extra vists for shots were handled by a nurse and they didn't even see the ped.

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01

jubilee
07-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Depending on your plan, a nurse visit may not even have a co-pay. Pull out your plan book! The problem with insurance may lie in the multiple venipuncture charges (the charge just to give the shot for supplies, nurse time, etc.) The vaccine charge is a separate fee, so your insurance won't have problems with that being separated out. At the Family Practice office I use to work for the venipuncture charge was about $16. Call the insurance co and find out if they have a policy. Your doctor won't know the specifics on your insurance plan, so it's best to go to the source.

Melanie
07-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Interesting point, but I've never had a problem with it. Our doctor is on the PPO plan and not out of network, so we just pay the $10. Let's not point it out to the insurance companies, okay? If they get wise to us...uh-oh. ;-)

edited to say, I just reread that you DO have HMO. Just remember (in the words of OUR pediatrician), "You are the parent, so you are the boss."