PDA

View Full Version : Sunblock queries

jojo2324
07-08-2003, 07:19 AM
Sooo, despite Gannon's fear of the water, I am still plugging along and trying to hit the beach at least once a week. (Besides, it's way too hot and I am much too irritable to be inside.)

Does anyone know of a tear-free baby sunblock?? It says on the bottle to avoid contact with his eyes, easy enough. It's his hands that prove troublesome. I can't NOT smear his hands; he is very fair. But inevitably he is going to rub his eye and then BOOM! Red splotchy eyes and HE becomes much too irritable. And it's a vicious cycle, because he rubs his eye, his eye becomes irritated, he rubs some more, eye becomes more irritated, and so on and so forth.

Have you ladies found any tricks? TIA! :)

egoldber
07-08-2003, 08:29 AM
Joanne, I never apply sunscreen directly to Sarah's hands (mainly because she sucks her thumb.) She has NEVER burned and she is also pretty fair. I don't think your hands tend to get as much sun exposure as the rest of your body.

HTH,

SeekerMage
07-08-2003, 10:52 PM
Im not sure about tear free sunblock but I do know that Water Babies makes sunblock wipes that are good for one application...Ive personally never used them by my friend did on her daughter...who is also very fair and she found them to be great...might help in the application and from getting to much on his hands that it would irrate his eyes if he rubs them...just an idea hope it helps :)

Ryansmom
07-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi Joanne,

My eyes are terribly sensitive to sunscreens and my skin in very fair. I aggree that you should apply susncreen to Gannon's hands as the backs of hands are exposed to more sunlight than almost any other part of the body. So far, I haven't noticed a problem with my son when I apply sunscreen all over, but I can understand your concern.

For myself, I use suncreens made for sensitive face/eye areas. Perhaps, you could try one of these on Gannon's hands? I don't have a favorite brand, but recently have been using Clinique. The downside is they are not waterproof, so you will need to reaply - which might not be too tough on just his hands. Just a thought. Good luck!

cara1
07-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Our pediatric dermatologist recommended Waterbabies Spectra for kids with excema/atopic dermatitis. I don't know about the eye thing though.

brubeck
07-09-2003, 12:47 PM
I have the same problem at times (you may recall Amy's red eye when we were at Ardenwood together due to the sunscreen issue).

The trick is to do your best to let it dry before he rubs his hands everywhere. Put on a thin layer and then do your best to keep his hands away from his face for 5 minutes (Give him a special toy? Play patty-cake?). This has worked well for me, except when I am in a hurry!