PDA

View Full Version : Sunblock on an 8-week old?

Rhonda36
07-09-2003, 04:05 PM
We're going to the shore for two-weeks, and ds will be 8 weeks old. We bought a beach cabana from LL Bean, but I still worry about sunburn (ds is very fair). Is it ok to use sunscreen this early?

TIA, Rhonda

LucyG
07-09-2003, 04:10 PM
Our doctor told us not to use regular sunscreen (or even "baby" sunscreen), but that Avon Skin So Soft is ok for babies.

christic
07-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Our ped gave us the ok for sunscreen very early on. She specifically discouraged us from using the special baby brands saying they always stung her own kids' eyes. Also said not to bother putting it on hands since they'll ususally end up with a hand in their mouth.

I like to use my own facial moisturizer with SPF 15, J&J Purpose. It's unscented and very gentle on the skin. Neutregena makes an unscented sunscreen I like also.

Have fun!

Christi

Marisa6826
07-09-2003, 05:50 PM
I found really gentle sunscreen in the baby section at Whole Foods.

My pediatrician said that a little sunscreen is a whole lot better than a lot of sunburn!

I would also test a little bit on the inside of his arm before you go away. That way you will know if he's going to have any reaction before you're on vacation and are away from your ped.

-m

lvp49
07-09-2003, 08:52 PM
My Dr said no to sunblock at any age under six months. When I pressed the issue, he said that she should not really be out in the sun at all. Not realistic, Like when walking around with the Baby Bjorn, but thats the advice I got.

FYI - my cousin took her three month old to the beach and was afraid to put Sunblock on her face, so made sure she was under the umbrella at all times, and she still got TERRIBLE sunburn on her face, with blisters!! It was from the reflection off the water and sand. Maybe the tent is better, but be careful!! I know this is not very helpful for your beach trip. I think that I would go with the moisturizer with sunblock.

HTH

himom
07-10-2003, 05:56 AM
I didn't know about the 6 month rule, so I slathered DS with baby sunscreen when he was 3 weeks old then headed off to a picnic on the beach. Since then my pediatrician has told me DS is too young for any sunscreen, so now DS only gets a hat, a swim diaper, and a white t-shirt when I take him swimming.

I only take him in direct sun for 5-10 minutes, then we sit in the shade for an hour or so. We never stay out long because I'm always afraid of him burning.

I'd try to avoid being out too long if I were you, or at least only take him out during off-peak hours. (I think 11 am - 2 pm are the high sun hours) Sorry, I guess that's not much help if you were looking forward to lounging on the beach and soaking up some rays!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

cinrein
07-10-2003, 06:52 AM
My ped also said no to sunscreen. She said an infant really should not be in the sun long enough to require sunscreen.

I keep seeing references to sunscreen that is now OK for use on babies, so I found the AAP's recommendation. Here is a link to their news release: http://www.aap.org/advocacy/archives/augsun.htm. They basically say that it is safe to use a small amount of sunscreen on babies younger than 6 mos when adequate clothing/shade are not available.

I would probably try to keep your son covered as much as possible and limit your time out in the sun.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

Rhonda36
07-10-2003, 09:16 AM
thanks for the replies ... i am concerned about the reflective sun he can get, even under the cabana. looks like i'll have to find other ways to amuse ourselves, at least between 10 and 3 or so.

thanks a bunch,
rhonda

stillplayswithbarbies
07-10-2003, 01:13 PM
One Step Ahead sells a suit for babies that is UV protective and covers from ankles to wrists, but they start at size 12 months.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03