PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if its diarrhea?

Virginia Dad
07-11-2003, 08:23 AM
Our DD has been bf since she was born two weeks ago. She eats well from what we can tell and has plenty of wet diapers. However, I have noticed that her poop is more runny and watery than it used to be. It is still seedy and mustard color, just more runny. And yesterday, she was more fussy than usual. She would come down if we held her in a sitting up position. I was thinking that maybe she has a stomach issue. Her temperature is normal. The nurse said it might have been something DW ate. Which it might have been the mexican she had the other night.

So, when is it diarrhea and not just normal bf poop? Should we be concerned and take her to the ped?

Virginia Dad

ddmarsh
07-11-2003, 08:39 AM
It can be worrisome, but typically you will see many variations in baby poop. Even very runny can be quite normal, although when it first happens I think our instinct is to think something must be wrong. My DD had really runny poop for about 7 or 8 days straight with no other symptoms when she was around 7 weeks and it eventually ran its course. Good info on diarrhea can be found at www.askdrsears.com - I found it very reassuring when my DD had it. If you don't feel comfortable with what you read or still want further reassurance there is no harm in going in to see the ped - part of their job is reassuring new parents :).

I hope things get better soon -

Debbie

Rachels
07-11-2003, 08:39 AM
Usually diarrhea is more copious, and often mucousy. This sounds more like normal baby poop. I found that Abigail had watery poops for a while when she was tiny. The ped probably won't be able to do much. If she's fussy, your DW should avoid the foods that seemed to bother her little belly. She can also drink chamomile tea, which will get to the baby through her breastmilk and which is very soothing. Mylicon drops are safe if your little one is gassy. If her tummy seems to hurt, have your wife try nursing with a warm water bottle or warm towel between the baby's belly and hers. The pressure and warmth seem to really help achy baby tummies.

I've been thinking of you. How's your little one's jaundice? What wound up happening with that?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Virginia Dad
07-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Thanks for asking! I forgot to post an update on that. I was so caught up with other things. She was born on a Wed. and they kept her at the hospital until Saturday morning. She was a level 12 when we left. Since it had been slowly increasing, they sent us home with a portable phototherapy unit...she was our little glow worm! On Monday, she was at 15, so we kept her on the lights. On Wed., at a week old, she was down to 13.6 and on Thursday down to 11. No more lights! She still has a little yellow in her eyes, but she seems to be doing great. Much more active than before.

As for the poop, I guess I was worried because it was more runny than usual and she is having one with every feeding it seems like.

Piglet
07-11-2003, 09:21 AM
It's been almost 2 years since I had experience with this, but I recall that the biggest change to DS's poop was caused by how engorged I was. I recall being more engorged around the 2 week mark than before. The problem with being engorged is that the baby is getting much more foremilk (the thinner milk), than hindmild (the fatty stuff). As a result, the poops are runnier (and sometimes a bit greener) and the baby is gassier. You might want to check into this with a LC or do some reading on engorgement and such. I know it is odd, but I swore by cabbage leaves in the bra, LOL! In any event, this will all equalise as your baby grows and establishes a feeding routine.

Good luck,
Marina

flagger
07-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Hi there. It sounds like your DD has the same type of normal BF poop that Cocoa has. I thought it was diarrhea too. However the ped and the LC yesterday said it was normal.

We too learned at 5 or 6 days post partum that Ms. Flagger could not eat spicy Mexican food. That was one rough night for all three of us. It sounds like you three are doing great.

One thing the ped told me that you can try is for you to do the football hold. Laying her on her tummy, place her head in the bend of your arm and hold her bottom with your hand. Keep your legs shoulder length apart and rock back and forth on them like you are a human metronome. Seems the pressure on their tummy helps and the rocking is very soothing.

(My ped likes it because he can hold the tv remote in his other hand. ;) )

Momof3Labs
07-11-2003, 10:33 AM
Runny poop is VERY normal for bf'd babies. It can vary in color from mustardy to greenish depending on the foremilk/hindmilk balance. The seediness varies too - that comes and goes.

Newborns have very immature digestive systems, so they all get gas and tender tummies, no matter what mommy eats (or what formula they eat). If it continues to be bad, have your wife keep a food diary and note the fussier times. You may start to notice a connection between certain foods and fussiness, and then know to avoid something. In addition to the suggestions you already got, you could put baby on her back and gently bend her knees up to her belly to help release some of the gas.

COElizabeth
07-11-2003, 11:06 AM
I'm so glad the jaundice is better and that she is doing well! I agree with everyone else that new babies' poop can be very runny. And having a poop with every diaper is totally normal for a BF baby (as is going several days with no poop). If it's really green and runny that might mean too much foremilk, as others have said, and she could also try pumping a bit before feeding so some of the foremilk is pumped off and DD gets more hindmilk. Having said that, I tried it a few times and didn't really stick with it. James had green runny poop for months, but he kept gaining weight really well at that age, and the doctor didn't seem concerned. He also got much better at handling the letdown, and I think the flow of milk also adjusted as I got less engorged. I hope things continue to go well for you all!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

Virginia Dad
07-11-2003, 11:45 AM
Well, DW called the ped. She said that it is nothing to worry about. It could very well be the mexican food that she has eaten (twice this week). The poop is still mustardy colored and seedy, so the ped said it's ok. If the poop turns green or the baby starts vomiting, then we need to call back. It's unbelievable how the slightest little change in routine makes me worry so much. I guess with a newborn, I need to get used to the fact that things change...a lot.

Thanks for the replies.