PDA

View Full Version : What could you not do without during labor & delivery?

hbangthompson
07-11-2003, 07:58 PM
I wanted to put together sort of a "labor & delivery" kit for a friend of mine who is due in a couple of months, and so I was wondering what thing(s) you found simply indispensable during L&D or what you wish you had with you that you didn't. I had lip balm in every coat pocket, bag, and drawer expect when I was in labor - go figure. Thanks for your help!

KathyO
07-11-2003, 08:41 PM
For me, it was:

Massage lotion - I'd have ended up with an epidural for sure if I hadn't had DH massaging my back through the worst contractions. Not that an epidural is the end of the world, and birth isn't some kind of contest or anything, but I didn't want one, and this made that possible. I recommend the Body Shop's peppermint foot lotion for this because the smell is soothing for queasy stomachs if your friend gets a spell of that, and most folks don't object to it in general.

Food!!!!! I delivered at 8pm after a VERY looooong labour, and nearly starved to death waiting for breakfast the next day... which turned out to be inedible anyway. Consider packaging up some high-energy non-perishable snack foods like granola bars and trail mix and a small box of her favourite brand of crackers and so on. Encourage her to throw in a couple of pieces of fruit or a peanut-buttered bagel or a couple of bran muffins or whatever on her way out the door. Stuff that stimulates the post-partum colon is a good idea! I still remember coming home from the hospital - my mom dropped off a roast chicken and all the fixings for DH and me, and I nearly ate the whole thing myself!!

A couple of pens. There's lots of forms to fill out, and pens are often hard to lay hands on.

Hope those help! Baby gifts are good, but I like your approach even better!

Cheers,

KathyO

C99
07-11-2003, 09:09 PM
I didn't even have my bags PACKED when I went into L&D. I remember telling my husband to go buy me:

Magazines
Crossword puzzles
A pen for forms
Warm, comfy socks
Popsicles
Lip balm
Mints (for after delivery b/c I had an IV drip and it made my mouth really dry and icky-tasting)

Marisa6826
07-11-2003, 09:35 PM
I had a c/s, but I loved having my own pillows from home. The only thing you need to remember is to use pillowcases in any other colour than white. That way, they're not confused with the crappy hospital ones!

And as dumb as it sounds, good sanitary pads. The hospital ones are effective but not sticky! You might want to throw in some granny undies too! :)

Oh yeah - I was a Blistex freak too. :)

-m

kathsmom
07-11-2003, 09:49 PM
What a sweet thing to do for your friend!

I made my mom and DH get the following things for me when I had Andrew:

-several magazines
-vaseline (I use this for my lips)
-lotion (unscented, because strong scents give me a headache) for my swollen feet
-my favorite homemade muffins (my mom made them)
-peanut butter crackers
-snacks that my DH, DD, and mom liked

I also brought my own pillows from home. You might want to get extra film for their camera and a prepaid phone card. We didn't get a phone card and DH had to keep going outside the building to use his cell phone to call everyone, since cell phones are not allowed to be on in hospitals. I also took hair barettes and pony tail holders in case I wanted my hair pulled away from my face.

I know there was more, but I can't think of it right now - I have serious mommy brain!

HTH!

heidi_timms
07-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Food!!! I was starving afterwards and the gross hospital food didn't do it, that's for sure. I would put together a snack basket or bake some cookies!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

barbarhow
07-11-2003, 10:25 PM
My big soft queensized down pillows
soft toilet paper-the hospital brand is sand paper-torture on
a traumatized tush.
an extra duffel bag to throw all the stuff in that accumulates
while you are there
a baby book so they will put foot prints directly in it.
Good food, drink and big cups-the hospital ones were only 6 ounces...
CD's
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

mama2be
07-11-2003, 10:32 PM
things I oculdn't do without...

huge plastic cup with a straw for water
CDs
focus board that my DH made for me and suprised me with

B-Day cake (simple one bought at the store in a box)
Birthday hats

Our Birthday party for Tristan at 2:00 in the morning meant the world to me...the staff joined us and the pics were the greatest. for mothers day Steve actually drew the picutre of me holding Tristan with birthday hats on :)...

jeneli
07-12-2003, 12:02 PM
Some of these are repeats, but....

--Chapstick!!
--Food/snacks (Like others I was STARVING after my 15 hour L&D. Someone brought me a ripe, juicy nectarine about 15 minutes after Elijah was born, and I swear it was the most delicious thing I have ever eaten!)
--An assortment of pregnancy/childbirth/newborn care/breastfeeding books (as a first-time mom, I needed my reference materials closeby)
--Extra socks & underwear (the aftermath is soooo messy)
--Soft, cotton pajamas (my nipples were incredibly sore by the next day and the rough hospital gown wasn't helping... swicthing to my own soft PJ's - mine was a top w/ slits for nursing and capri length pants - made me feel "normal" again)
--Lanolin oil/cream (the hospital may provide some, but it couldn't hurt to have some extra on hand)
--Nice brand of toilet paper and tissues
--Pre-paid phone card
--Gentle shampoo & bodywash (showering before I went home was tricky, but it was refreshing and I was glad to have my own stuff)

We had a camera with us, of course, but a cute thing to put in a kit for someone would be one of those disposable cameras... maybe even a couple, one regular and one black & white for more "artistic" shots.

Oh yeah, I didn't have this at the hospital, but my neck was really sore afterwards (may have been due to the uncomfortable hospital bed) so someone got me one of the "bucky" neck pillows after I got home and it was very nice.

mamahill
07-12-2003, 12:06 PM
Two words:

Otter Pops

lukkykatt
07-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Everyone has given good ideas!

The biggest things I couldn't live without were: my own pillow, lip balm, camera, nice soap/shampoo, and snacks.

I actually like the mesh underwear the hospital gives out, because things were so messy - would not have wanted my own!

The thing I did without, but wished I didn't have to was flip flops for the shower. For a hospital, my shower was not as sterile as I would have liked, and I wished I had some flip flops with me!

alkagift
07-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Hey,
I'll second the prepaid phone card--such a worthwhile thing, and cheap! And I'll join the chorus for pillows--firm, fluffy ones. I liked the Listerine wafery things (what do you call those things?) instead of mints. My hospital recommended bringing shoes with soles to shuffle around in while in labor, rather than soft bedroom shoes, so I brought some cushy mules and that worked.

And finally, suggest bringing food for your HUSBAND. I know this doesn't help you prepack a nice bag for your friend, but maybe you could insert a card that reads "gift certificate for turkey sandwiches" and then bring sandwiches in for him after your friend delivers? My DH didn't want to leave me much for the three days I was there and only made occasional trips down to the cafeteria for meals, since I was provided food and he wasn't. I shared what I could, but it wasn't much. He had the trail mix and graham crackers I brought for labor for breakfast and sometimes lunch--not good! The crackers and juice in L&D and postpartum are reserved for the new moms, there were signs everywhere!

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

sarasprings
07-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Everyone who said food is right on target. I had to BEG the midwife to let me order a roast beef sandwich from the hospital (which actually had good food).

Also, we brought a sock filled with rice that I put on my lower back after warming in the microwave. That was very nice.

Marisa6826
07-12-2003, 10:20 PM
DEFINITELY decent slippers or flip flops.

I was barefoot in my room and stepped on a big piece of glass while holding Sophie.

Apparently the last "guest" didn't feel it was necessary to tell housekeeping that she broke a vase! She just pushed the glass under the bed. OW!

-m

zen_bliss
07-13-2003, 01:37 AM
well, not essential, but things i was glad to have...

exercise/birthing ball (soft on the pelvis, soft bouncing & rolling is soothing)
LAVENDER! oil & a little silk eye pillow from marshall's filled with dried lavender. relaxing!
focus photo (my recently departed dog, a guardian angel for the baby)
nukkles massagers for DH to use on me
sock with tennis balls in it for counterpressure for unexpected back labor
flip flop sandals
strand of pretty glass beads that i turned over & over in my hands while counting & breathing. i will have to put a clasp on these and make them a breastfeeding necklace, as suggested by the other post!

essential:
husband & cousin -- i was so glad to have another support person there for reassurance and picture taking!

colleenfs
07-13-2003, 06:54 AM
Again, lip balm and moisturizer/lotion. Those rooms are hot and dry!

Your own bottled water.

Popsicles for labor. Some hospitals may have them, but they are definitely worth bringing.

Mints or hard candies.

BF-ing book and Boppy pillow.

Bring a cute outfit in a teeny size (preemie size, even if baby is big) for professional hospital pictures.

Phone card.

Slippers or nice thick socks.

Your own pillow.

Nice shampoo and body wash. Skip the hairdryer though - you won't have the energy or time!

Wide shoes to go home in. You'll be surprised by how much your feet swell.

A nice maternity outfit to go home in. If you're lucky, you'll still look about 5 months pregnant. If you're me, you'll look like you're due any day!

Good luck!
Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

kransden
07-14-2003, 09:17 AM
My own pillows. Someone at work made a "Daddy Bag" it had snacks and all sorts of goodies for him, so he didn't have to leave me. I had a c-section, but the hospital food was horrible. Slip on house shoes. Lastly a newborn outfit for the baby to get pictures in and to go home in. The 0-3 were just way too big on my 8.5 lb dd.

Karin
Katie 10/24/02

kapow
07-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Before L&D:
- a great haircut and pedicure - really shellack those toenails so the ped will last at least a month post-labor

For L&D, I needed:
- chapstick (DH had a tube in every pocket)
- water for the early hours and a TON of ice chips when it was time
- bowl of cold water and a few washcloths for pushing-time (this felt so good on my face and head)

In recovery:
- FOOD and drinks. I drank a ton of water & Gatorade after.
- A breastfeeding book (I recommend "The Nursing Mother's Companion"
- An extra bag for all the stuff you'll bring home from the hospital
- Safety pins to help hold up the mesh hospital panties. I had to tie mine in knots to keep them on.
- A notepad and pens, so I could start making lists

KMommie
07-14-2003, 11:49 AM
What I had that I found indispensible? Warm, comfy socks were a must for me, as were the hairbands and lip balm. We had packed a bunch of snacks for me and DH--- I think that bag is still around here somewhere, we never opened it, never unpacked it----YUK. I became afraid of the whole nausea/vomiting thing so during l/d I refused to eat anything but icechips. DH needed to get out and walk around, so he made trips to the cafeteria and vending machines instead of eating the snacks we brought.

I wished I had? Some flip-flops for the shower, a smaller outfit for DD's going home. My mom had bought this cute sleeper for DD's going home outfit, but it was the 0-3 size, and it was just HUGE on her. I would've brought a preemie sized one.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-14-2003, 02:20 PM
We were in such a hurry that we left everything in the car, and didn't miss any of it, really. (she was born 13 minutes after we arrived at the hospital)

One thing I wish I had had was a preemie outfit to bring her home in. Even though she weighed 8 lb 6 oz, the newborn sizes were too big on her at first.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

cinrein
07-15-2003, 07:39 AM
I agree with all of these and would just add:

A brush for baby just in case her baby is born with a full head of wavy hair (like mine was)

A nice baby blanket so she can have some pictures taken without the "institutional" hospital blanket.

A "cheat sheet" for her labor coach. I arrived at the hospital fully effaced and dilated and too late for any pain medication. We hadn't brushed up on the pushing techniques we learned in the childbirth prep class cuz we thought we'd have TONS of time during labor. So, a quick 1-page cheat sheet on breathing techniques/pushing would have helped. I realize she probably won't need this, but my labor and delivery sure didn't go the way I thought it would. (I had packed all the massage lotions, tennis ball, snacks, etc.. and didn't even have time to open the bag!)

My baby did fit into her 0-3 mos sized outfit and a preemie size would have been too small.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

csa12
07-15-2003, 08:52 AM
I could not do without the plush comfortable socks I brought for delivery. Even though I delivered at a major university hospital, the floor was disgusting! So I appreciated the thick socks that I could change into to cushion my feet -- the ones with grips are even better.

Have fun!
Cheryl :)