PDA

View Full Version : Softer Crib Mattress

jennifer1143
07-14-2003, 04:02 PM
Thought I'd post this here, since I'm not getting any responses in the correct category. I bought a Colgate Classica I mattress. Now that the baby's here - he won't sleep on it he'll sleep in his crib in his bouncy seat (which won't last much longer)- the mattress just seems too hard...Does anyone have a mattress they're happy with that is softer? I would have to buy it online, since I live quite far from a city. Thanks for any help.

Jennifer

stillplayswithbarbies
07-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Due to safety issues, I don't think any manufacturer makes a soft crib mattress.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

farsk
07-14-2003, 04:22 PM
Jennifer,

Have you tried putting a mattress pad on the crib mattress? I got one that is not "plush", but does seem to make the crib softer (at least to my hand, Ellen's not due for two more weeks!)

Also, I got this thing (I really think that's the technical name for it!haha!) that says it helps to prevent "flat head syndrome". It's a thing for baby to lay on and at one end is a small "pillow" of that "space-age" memory foam. I've seen them at Target.

Bear in mind that I don't yet really know what I'm talking about! It's just that it feels good to my hand right now! Good Luck!

-Shannon
Mom to Ellen (edd 7/28/2003)

McQ
07-14-2003, 05:05 PM
How old is your baby? I went back and forth on the Classica I and a few softer coiled mattresses. I ended up with the Classica I since everyone said it was the safest. I hate the mattress because it is so hard and then my son was not sleeping for long periods of time on it and seemed to sleep better in his Combi rocker. I stuck it out and once he hit 3 months he started sleeping through the night (a dream come true) so now I'm keeping the Classica. Although in hind sight I would have gone with the Sealy Crown Jewel or Simmons something or other. Check out BabyAge.com as they had the best prices and shipping.

jennifer1143
07-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Drew is 2 weeks old - I just think the mattress feels like a board. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it. So your baby slept in it by 3 months? Maybe Drew will come around to liking it. I don't think so though. Thanks for your help.

Jennifer

Momof3Labs
07-14-2003, 07:04 PM
We have a Colgate foam mattress, and Colin didn't like sleeping in his crib at first - but I don't think that it had anything to do with the mattress! He liked to be snuggled up, and didn't get that feeling when we just set him in the crib. If you don't swaddle your baby, try swaddling him again. Put him in the crib with his head touching one of the bumpers, and turn him sideways so he is cozier head-to-toe. You can also try warming the crib with a heating pad before putting him down (check the temp with your hand first) - this worked wonders for us.

It took us about a month to fully transition Colin to the crib (from a Moses basket) but by around 2-3 months, he slept great in there at night.

Rachels
07-15-2003, 07:10 AM
We have a Colgate, and would never, ever, ever, ever, ever buy one again. It IS a board. It's awful. Abigail would never sleep on it, despite my trying over and over for months. I exhausted us both before I figured out how hard it is. We now have it on the floor in our room with a thick quilt over it (but she's 14 months, so we don't have the same SIDS consideration). But I would pay attention to the fact that the baby doesn't seem to like the mattress. Having been there and with the perfect vision of hindsight, I wish I had paid attention to her early on when she told me she didn't like it. FWIW, I've since bought a crib mattress for my mom's house, and both the Sealy and the Kolcraft meet safety standards while being considerably more comfortable to lie on.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

cinrein
07-15-2003, 07:19 AM
We have one of the Colgate mattresses and it is hard as a brick. Anna wanted nothing to do with her crib the first 9 weeks of her life. Believe me we tried. We have a PnP w/ bassinet that is not nearly as hard and she wanted nothing to do with that either. She ended up sleeping with us (something I said pre-baby that we would NEVER do) and we periodically tried to get her to sleep in her crib. Then something mysterious and magical happened when she was 9 weeks old and began sleeping in her crib with no complaints. I never attributed it to the mattress. I think she didn't feel warm and secure in the crib. She would sometimes sleep in her bouncer or car seat.

When we mentioned this to our ped, she asked us to think about what the baby has been used to for the last 9 mos: confined, warm, hearing the heartbeat, etc. She said a lot of babies prefer to sleep swaddled in the fetal position against someone's chest because they can hear your breath and heartbeat, and they feel warm and secure (which is exactly how Anna slept).

It certainly is possible that Drew hates the mattress, but I'd make sure it is the mattress before investing in another. It's possible his crib is just too "big" for him right now.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

jennifer1143
07-15-2003, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure whether to buy another mattress or put some space foam on the one I have...Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for all your help so far.

Jennifer

natividad
07-16-2003, 12:16 AM
Rachel, Alexander seems to hate this mattress too. I was beginning to think he just wanted to sleep on our bed because he likes to be snuggled up with us, but now I truly feel the mattress is a factor. I have considered selling my Classica and purchasing another mattress that is not quite SO hard. What Sealy and Kolcraft models did you look at and which one did you end up buying? TIA!

Naty