PDA

View Full Version : Travel Tips While Pregnant

1stTimeMummytoLorelai
07-16-2003, 11:18 AM
DH just got back from Iraq and really wants to go see his family. I am very supportive of this especially because this is a new development for him that I want to encourage. He hasn't been so hot about his fam before now and I think it's great for our DD that he wants to work on his relationship with them. We're planning to split the drive over 2 days because they live about 12-14 hours away. I'll be about 32-33 weeks when we do this. Pregnancy is going fine and I have the thumbs up from my midwife but I was looking for travel tips/comfort tips from anyone who has experience with the third-trimester car trip.

Thanks,
Kate

COElizabeth
07-16-2003, 01:06 PM
Make sure you stop frequently to walk around and stretch your legs. Also, wearing compression hosiery may be a good idea to help keep blood circulating and prevent swelling in your legs. I didn't do any long road trips, but I went on an overseas flight when I was about 24 weeks pregnant, and my legs and ankles really swelled. They looked kind of scary! I bought some compression socks (knee-high) to wear on the flight back and also made sure to walk around more and drink lots of water, and I had much less of a problem coming back.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

kfcboston
07-16-2003, 01:07 PM
1.) A pillow for back support
2.) Something to put under your feet to keep them slightly elevated
3.) Lots of water and snacks
4.) Potty/stretching breaks

Have fun!!

flagger
07-16-2003, 01:51 PM
DVT is probably the biggest problem to worry about, so keeping your legs elevated is your best bet. You might also want to flex your feet up and down regularly to keep the circulation moving.

Drink lots of water which of course means you will be stopping to pee as if you don't enough already. LOL Be sure to eat healthy snacks for the trip.

We went to the Outer Banks in her 32nd week which was a 7.5 hour drive. That was about the limit of our one day driving at that stage of her pregnancy.

Just as an aside, I might investigate the location of the nearest Level II NICU where you are going just in case your baby comes while you are there. Better to know now than get in a panic should your baby make an early apperance.