PDA

View Full Version : Yikes...1st shots tomorrow!

jd11365
07-16-2003, 02:40 PM
I just can't do it...DH is going to have to take the baby. I can't believe they are going to stick her so many times! After researching the whole vaccine issue to death, I've made the decision to go with the regular schedule, but the thought of my little baby being hurt just kills me! Any suggestions to help make it better for her?

Ryansmom
07-16-2003, 02:48 PM
Hi Jamie,

You can give her Tylenol before you leave home. I was a pedi nurse and gave many, many shots. We routinely recommended this to our parents. Just please make sure you know hte proper doseage.

You can also give her a warm bath that night and gently massage her legs. The massage will help the muscle absorb the vaccine. this will also give you a chance (if you haven't already) to remove the bandaids.

Your sweet little one will be just fine. It is far more stressful for you at this stage.

mama2be
07-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Jamie I know it hurts...everyone came together to support us thru it so I have to respond with how it went for us...I went and stepped out for the shots, becasue I did not wantt o miss so many other things that go on in this appt...

Now our DR gives the medicine there we have been instructed not to give it in advance and they space the shots correctly time wise after the "weigh in" and the medicine is givne...so check with your ped. I have to say if T cried for 15 seconds I would be amazed...and he was not fussy at all after...I think thanks to the medicine. The band aids killed me too...

Keep us posted...
We are there for you

Rachels
07-16-2003, 03:24 PM
I know your anguish! The first round is not too terrible. The baby forgets almost instantly. I did find that Abigail was quite fussy and uncomfortable for several days, though. Here's what helped:

- Tylenol! Dose her up before the appointment, and keep the Tylenol going at regular intervals for the first 24-48 hours. This will help with fever and muscle soreness.

- Warm baths for the baby are very soothing. If you can find some therapeutic grade lavender oil, put a drop or two in the water. It seems to calm Abigail down when she's fussy.

- Homeopathic thuja is good for preventing or treating vaccine reactions. I have given it to Abby twice, and both times her fussiness and fever were notably reduced. Can't hurt.

- To remove bandaids, saturate them really thoroughly with olive oil or apricot oil. Let it really soak in for half an hour or so, then put the baby in a warm bath. The bandages will come right off, no pulling.

- Lots of snuggling and rocking and nursing and soothing touches!

Hang in there, mama. It will be over soon!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
07-16-2003, 03:26 PM
Honestly, if you want to make it better for her, be there for her. Your presence is reassuring to your baby; it doesn't seem fair to her that you would turn away when she needs you most.

That said, Colin usually cries the most when his head is restrained for the moment they need to look in his ears! After that fiasco, the shots are no big deal - 10-15 seconds of crying, then a pacifier and some snuggles and it is over.

mamahill
07-16-2003, 04:16 PM
As the others have said, the first shots are more traumatizing for the mother than the baby! I cried more than Ainsleigh did. Just seeing that little lip quiver in pain was enough to send me over. I forgot to bring Tylenol or Advil the first time and they gave me a trial size. After that, I "forgot" a couple more times - hey, they get free samples and that stuff is expensive!!

Lots of hugs, and just remember it's for her GOOD. And then go get yourself ice cream of something to celebrate. You deserve it!

mom2kandj
07-16-2003, 04:33 PM
Is DH going with you to the ped? Go through the whole visit with the ped and when the nurse comes in to do the shots, just excuse yourself. I cried with DD and as for DS, DH held him. I heard him cry (I was outside), but I didn't have to see him and the needles. It will take away a lot of the anxiety for you if DH holds her. Also, you will be the hero who saves the baby when you return to the room to comfort her! Good luck and give her Tylenol and hugs!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (31 months)
& Jack (15 months)

blnony
07-16-2003, 07:12 PM
I am going to echo what some others have said.
First, I think its better if you stay with your babe when they give the shots. if you are nursing, nurse while they do the shots. It is wonderful. Its very calming for your baby and for you too. I did this with Audrey's 2 mo. shots and I really think it made a difference. If you aren't nursing, try a pacifier if you use those, and stay close and be reassuring. Audrey was severely jaundiced and in her first week of life she had 17 heel sticks. I tried to nurse her through those too. The closeness to mommy makes a big difference.
Second, give a small dose of tylenol right before you go. Audrey had no bad reactions the first time, and we didn't need to repeat, but at 4 mo we did. And one thing we learned, don't put lotion on the night of the shots. We acidentaly did this at 4 mo and it was awful. My DH got so freaked out and felt so bad. You could tell it stung some.
Finally, Be strong. Babies can really pick up on our emotions. One thing I did that made me feel better was getting Audrey a little "sorry about the shots" toy. Nothing big, just a little tiny quacking duck, or a little stuffed animal. Just something small. It really helped me more than her I know. But it made feel better to do something sweet for her. My mom used to do this with me when I was sick. It wouldn't ever be more than a coloring book or something, but I liked that she made being sick or getting a shot a treat. I don't look back with a negative attitude. I know Audrey's too young to know that now, but maybe in a some time it will help.
It will be over so fast. I think Audrey cried maybe 30 seconds at the most. I am really dreading our 1 yr appt next month because she's older now and will really realize what's going on.
Good luck - I know you both will do well.

jd11365
07-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions...you guys are just the sweetest! You've pursuaded me to go...I can't promise I'll make it to be with her and DH as they actually do it, but I will definitely be there for her when it's all said and done...with a load of Tylenol and ready to nurse. I am definitely going to nurse her right there...I think it will calm the both of us down. I will let you all know how the big bad day goes tomorrow.