PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need travel advice!!!

DCmommy
07-17-2003, 09:02 PM
DH is in a wedding in Colorado next week, so we're taking our 6 mo. DS on his first plane trip for a 4-day weekend! We've taken several long car trips before, but we've packed our SUV each time, with the bouncy seat and the Gymini and the high chair and the sterilizer, etc., etc. This time I'm nervous about finding a balance between not bringing too much stuff (I much prefer to travel light in airports), but not leaving out anything important. So I need help!!! We're bringing our carseat (we saved its box expressly for that purpose, but now I'm wondering if I should get one of those rolling car seat carrier things), the Pack N'Play, our Combi Ultra Savvy, and a Baby Bjorn, but beyond that I'm at a loss.

What do I do about a high chair? How much food/formula/diapers should I bring? He's getting solids twice a day (oatmeal with formula, and then a fruit), and I breastfeed part-time, but I don't want to breast feed on the plane or at the wedding. Should I just take what I'll need for the plane trip (plus back-ups) and then buy stuff when we get there? Or should I bring my own to last for the whole vacation? How many bottles and nipples? How will I sterilize everything?

What do I do on the plane? Any tricks of the trade? Help!!!

Megan
Mommy to Patrick, 1/16/03

kaitlinsmommy
07-17-2003, 11:34 PM
Hi Megan,

Does your car seat fit in your Combi stroller? I would keep Patrick in the car seat/stroller until you get to the gate. You can bring the car seat on if there is room. Either way, they will take both items at the gate and you don't need the box for your car seat. They don't count as checked luggage.

I am taking dd on her 4th plane ride tomorrow (to Fla.). I bring about 10 diapers in the diaper bag and just buy diapers and wipes when we get to our destination because they take up a lot of room.

I have found the PNP and BB helpful when traveling. DD sleeps in PNP. It is inconvenient to be without a high chair. I would have DH (or someone else) hold DS on his lap while you feed him. Or you could invest in a booster seat but I don't think you'll need to.

I only BF so I'm sorry I can't help you with bottle info. I highly recommend bottle feeding or nursing during the plane landing. I have heard it helps their ears and it has seemed to work for Kaitlin. At least it calms her down.

I wouldn't worry about underpacking. I'm sure there will be lots of relatives and friends who will want to hold Patrick and will keep him entertained. Things I find invaluable day-to-day, I've never really missed while traveling. I always tell myself I can buy something if I really need it but I never do.

Good luck!

C99
07-18-2003, 12:22 AM
I would think about bringing some small toys that Patrick likes, but leaving all the big stuff (beyond what you've already mentioned) behind. When we did it, I ended up buying him some little stroller toys at Target for while we there and then packing them into our checked luggage for the return trip.

As far as a highchair is concerned, I'd recommend just feeding him in his stroller or asking to borrow something from a friend or family member when you get there. We were in Indiana over Independence Day w/ 5 babies under the age of a year and all from out of town; the parents just fed the babies in their strollers or in the 1 high chair available.

For food and formula and diapers, I'd just pack enough for the plane trip and back-ups and buy the rest when you get there. Maybe Mapquest the nearest Target or grocery store from the airport and print out directions before you leave. When I traveled with Nate at 4 months of age, I was breastfeeding but he would still take a bottle. I brought 2 bottles of EBM and my Avent Isis pump with me. I fed him one bottle on take-off and another on descent. We were staying at an all-suites hotel so I was able to use a kitchen sink to clean them out before pumping into them later in the week. Since you are formula feeding, I would just figure out how many bottles he would take in 8 hours and bring that many and wash them out every night. I'm not sure why you'd need to sterilize them all at this point, so I can't think of a good solution for that.

As for the plane, I would just say: relax! Some babies will zonk out due to the noise of the plane engine. When we traveled, it was just Nate and me on our 4-hour plane trip and it actually was fairly easy. I just breastfed him and he slept, changed his diaper and he slept, got up to use the bathroom (with him in the Bjorn) and he slept. It was actually the first time that I got to see a movie in forever!

Good luck & have fun!