PDA

View Full Version : What books do you suggest?

awaitingfirst1
07-18-2003, 01:18 PM
After reading several posts about different things, it seems that there are some books I need to read (napping, etc.)before the arrival of my little one. Are there some "gotta have" books you all would suggest to prepare us for this "grand adventure" my husband and I are about to embark on? Are there books I should stay away from?

Thanks for all the help!

Donna
EDD 12-27-03
Geneva, IL
Donna
EDD 12-27-03
Geneva, IL

egoldber
07-18-2003, 01:23 PM
I would recommend getting books from the library first. Every book has a different style, and some people are more comfortable with one style and not others.

My "couldn't have lived without books" are:

sleep: Marc Weissbluth's "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child"
feeding: Ellyn Satter's "Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense:
development and behavior: Burton White's "The First Three Years of Life"

The book that made me miserable was "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer".

HTH,

Momof3Labs
07-18-2003, 04:00 PM
I liked Happiest Baby on the Block for all aspects of a newborn, and Weissbluth for sleep issues for all ages (especially 4-5 months and up).

I didn't care for Baby Whisperer or Gina Ford at all.

lizajane
07-18-2003, 04:14 PM
just to offer a different perspective, i loved baby whisperer. i think it offers a nice middle ground. i liked how it said to treat your baby like a person- don't do something to your child that you wouldn't do to a grown up. (talk to him/her about what you are doing, etc.) i have heard several people say that the no-cry sleep method she recommends has worked really well for them. i have heard others say that it just didn't work for them at all.

HOWEVER, mostly i would recommend waiting several weeks before you worry too much "what the book says." just love on your baby, let him/her sleep on your chest sometimes, feed him/her when he/she is hungry, if you plan to breastfeed, rest a lot and get help if you need it.

and if you do not plan to use the attachement parenting method, don't get too freaked out by dr. sears. (i.e. don't think you are a bad mom if you want to put your baby down so that you can fix a snack) and if you do, maybe stay away from babywise, baby whisperer and especially dr ferber!!
(although baby wise and baby whisperer are my choice.)

good luck! you'll be great!!

beckyr88
07-19-2003, 12:01 AM
I didn't like the Baby Whisperer either! I got so sick of her calling me Luv....

On track: I like Dr. Sears' "The Baby Book" and ordered the three Beth mentioned above from the library--hope to get them soon...

C99
07-19-2003, 12:54 AM
The only book that I really wished I had read before Nate arrived was the Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp. I honestly think everything else may overwhelm and/or confuse you if this is your first child. There is definitely information-overload in the baby-rearing area. And also, you just don't know what kind of parent you will be until you have a baby to parent. :)

That said, I have found the following books to be helpful in this parenting journey thus far:

Sleep: No-Cry Sleep Solutions by Elizabeth Pantley, Happy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child by Marc Weissbluth
Feeding: So That's What They're There For by Janet Tamaro, The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins, Child of Mine by Ellyn Satter
General: The Baby Book by William & Martha Sears, parts of the What to Expect in Baby's First Year book.

HTH