PDA

View Full Version : my dd's skin seems extra dry... will anything help?

peanut4us
07-20-2003, 10:11 AM
She has dry skin esp. on her face, arms, and legs. My doctor said that baby lotion probably wouldn't help, and it hasn't. :( Can anyone recommend a good safe for babies lotion that i could use besides johnson's? i'd like to be able to slather her with it when i massage her. Any suggestions?

ginalc
07-20-2003, 10:24 AM
I would suggest that you treat the dry skin like you would exzema. Here's a link:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID5/1062.html

gina, mom to 3

lizajane
07-20-2003, 11:42 AM
lanisoh!! if you haven't used it for nursing, look for it with other breastfeeding items. the packaging is purple. worked great on ds's feet! and safe enough for them to eat it off mom, so i know it is a-ok.

liams mom
07-20-2003, 03:02 PM
Hey, my DS has dry skin too, esp. on his little forehead. My ped said to use Aquaphor, and I've used it a few times--it's really helped.

SeekerMage
07-20-2003, 09:00 PM
eucerin is another cream that is really good. it is unscented and for sensitive skin. I have ezcema and it was one of the lotions that was recommended to me. You can also use vaseline. the little one that I sit for has sensitive skin and dry skin and he is always breaking out on his cheeks. I put some vaseline and even desitin creamy on his cheeks at nap time and usually it helps clear it up overnight without any problems.

parkersmama
07-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Both Eucerin and Aquaphor are great for dry skin and safe for babies. Also, be sure to use an oil when you are massaging her...that really helps with dry skin as well.

mom2kandj
07-21-2003, 12:28 AM
DD was diagnosed with allergies and eczema at 4 months. We tried a lot of stuff! (Eucerin, Aquaphor, Cetaphil, Dove, and the list goes on...) Our personal favorite is Aveeno Baby Lotion!(Plain with the blue cap - the lavendar scented Aveeno makes her break out) The best thing about the Aveeno is that it is non-greasy and is absorbed quickly. Here's a tip for locking in lotion and moisture overnight. I know that most people will and do think that I am nuts when I tell them that my kids also sleep in blanket sleepers year round! (Yes, we live in sunny SoCal where it does get HOT!) If I put a good slathering of the Aveeno on the kids at bedtime and then immediately put a blanket sleeper on, the moisture is held in by the synthetic fibers of the sleeper. I know that you are supposed to dress in natural fibers(cotton, etc) so that your skin can breathe, but this process makes DS's skin sooooo soft. Now if I could only get her hands to look that good! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (31 months)
& Jack (15 months)