PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on magazines? Parents v. Parenting, etc...

pritchettzoo
07-20-2003, 07:48 PM
I've looked through many (albeit old issues...) in doctors' offices, and they all seem to blur together. Any recommendations for ANY particular magazine (not just one of those two), especially for first-time parents?

Thanks for your help!

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

jd11365
07-20-2003, 07:52 PM
I just got both and I like Parenting a lot...very friendly for both mom and dad...lots of stuff for infants as well as toddlers and young children... Parents is a little more geared toward toddlers/young children in my opinion, but I find it interesting to learn what I am in for...

COElizabeth
07-20-2003, 08:55 PM
I like them all well enough, but one of my current favorites is Brain, Child, which doesn't have the usual parenting tips but instead has a bunch of articles, some thoughtful, some sad, some funny, reflecting on the experience of being a parent. It's a nice change from the others, which, as you say, do tend to run together and repeat themselves.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

cheyennemom
07-20-2003, 09:54 PM
I have subscribed to lots of magazines. Right now I receive:

Mothering - If co-sleeping, extended nursing, etc. is your cup of tea.

Brain Child - As described by other poster.

Child - This one is slightly off the beaten path.

Family Fun - For pre-schoolers and older. Lots of neat craft idea.

I have wanted to try Hip Mama. If anyone receives that one I would love to hear about it.

Jessica

parkersmama
07-20-2003, 10:03 PM
I've gotten Child, Parents, and Parenting at different times. I think that Parents and Parenting really run together. They are almost identical and one month one of them will feature a certain topic and the next month it's in the other one. My favorite is Child. Like someone else said, it's slightly off the beaten path but not so far off as Mothering. I do really like Mothering too but you have to take it with a grain of salt (and tolerance) if you're not into co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding, cloth-diapering, etc. It does have some really thought-provoking articles but it's definitely coming at everything from a liberal, crunchy-mama type stance. I'd be interested to hear about Hip Mama, too! Anyone?

AngelaS
07-21-2003, 06:28 AM
I've gotten both. IMO, Parenting has a more liberal slant than does Parents. Parents will walk you thru developing good sleep habits, Parenting talks about gay parenting. They do have many of the same topics, but they are from differing points of view.