PDA

View Full Version : ISO balanced VBAC information or articles

sugarsnappea
07-21-2003, 07:35 AM
I need some help in locating VBAC information or articles that are informative and balanced. DH's father is an about to retire, old school, anti-VBAC OB/GYN. My OB is extremely pro-VBAC and she thinks at this time I am a good candidate. DH seems to think that since DD was a big baby (8#10oz), I will probably have another big baby and that this puts me at a higher risk. I show him my articles from Mothering etc. and he says they are too one-sided. He swears he isn't speaking to his father but last night, when I tried to discuss it, he said he is afraid that he will be a widower with 2 kids before he is 30. :( Argh!

I need to come up with some convincing articles, information to put his mind at rest. TIA! :)

Rachels
07-21-2003, 08:23 AM
Look for Henci Goer's book Obstetrical Myths vs Research Realities. She summarizes scientific studies on birth stuff, including VBAC, and you can look up the original sources if you're interested.

The idea that VBAC is unsafe confuses me just on logic, too. The risks that go with any surgery are noteworthy, and babies born by cesarean have a higher incidence of respiratory distress. Having surgery when you don't have to seems an odd choice to me. I know there's a risk of uterine rupture, but it's EXTREMELY small, whereas the risks of complications, injury, and even death from surgery are much larger. I think a repeat cesarean is okay if it absolutely has to happen, but just as a matter of course, it makes no sense. Research agrees, so if that would help your husband, get your hands on some!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02