PDA

View Full Version : 11 or 12 month growth spurt?

blnony
07-21-2003, 07:44 AM
I would try to look this up, but I am sooo tired...is this common? It seems that my good sleeper has been replaced with a not-so-good sleeper lately. I'm pretty sure two molars are trying to come in and Audrey is eating (drinking formula) like a crazy woman. The past few nights she has woke up at night wanting to eat. She hasn't done this is several months. Is it common to have a growth spurt around this time? Is it just the teeth?
She is eating a little more solid food than usual, but she is taking about 10 more oz. of formula than usual. I just hope her sleeping habits aren't going crazy, I really hope there is a reason to all this! :)

COElizabeth
07-21-2003, 08:34 AM
Brianna,

James is one month younger, but we're going through something similar. He had been waking once or twice a night to eat (with "night" being from about 7 until 6:30). The night before his 9-month checkup he slept straight through from about 6:30 to 5:30. So, when his ped asked, I reported that (plus two naps about 1.5 hours each) and got, "Oh, he's a good sleeper!"

Naturally, ever since then, he's been sleeping HORRIBLY. Taking at least an hour and sometimes three to get to nap and to bed and waking at least three times a night. I am so exhausted! I don't know if his intake has increased much. He still nurses and I really can't tell, though I do fear that he has gotten into a pattern of taking most of his milk at night. I try to feed him in an undistracting place during the day but have limited success. I know he's teething, too, so he has been having Motrin before bed.

For the Pantley readers, I bought the book, "No-Cry Sleep Solution," and I think there are some good ideas, but they all seem predicated on the idea that you are able to get your child to go to sleep in the first place (by nursing or whatever). What happens when you can't do that?

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

mom2kandj
07-21-2003, 10:15 AM
We had the same problem a few months ago. DS was an eating machine who was restless at night and didn't nap well during the day. Add to that, an extended stay at the grandparents house! Well, we figured it out...he was having a huge development spurt too! He took his first steps and didn't look back. As soon as we got home, his appetite immediately dropped off and he went back to sleeping about 13-14 hours a day. We really think that his body needed the extra fuel for walking, and that the new movement of walking was stressing his little body. I'd stick with the routine and keep it lowkey as she will pick up on your anxiety. Still no molars for us... :(

Rose
mom 2 Katie (31 months)
& Jack (15 months)

blnony
07-21-2003, 11:10 AM
AHHHHH! Audrey just took her first steps a couple of days ago. She still only takes about one or two and drops down to her butt, but she's doing it more and more. Now, that makes sense. :)
Maybe thats whats going on. Thanks-
Edited to add: About a week ago, I was looking at her gums, and her left bottom has the white bumps appearing, when you can see them under the skin, so I think thats hindering her sleeping too. And, she can be a bear on minute and just laughing and happy the next. Its really weird. :)

egoldber
07-21-2003, 01:59 PM
Try giving her some "pre-emptive" Motrin about an hour before bedtime. It can't hurt and if it helps, you'll know that teeth are the most likely culprit!

blnony
07-21-2003, 02:17 PM
We do the pre-emtive strike! LOL! and it seems like she wakes up about 3 to 4 hours after the dose. I wish they had extra strength or something! :)
We actually use tylenol for a few days then we use Motrin. It doesn't seem to matter which one. Although I have learned that Audrey loves grape flavored stuff! :)

egoldber
07-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Have you tried using Children's Motrin rather than infant? If she is at least 24 pounds, you can give her a teaspoon (5 ml). The children's seems to last longer for us.

And Sarah's sleep also gets distrurbed when she is hitting a major developmental milestone, but her sleep always goes back to usual after that.

Good luck!

mamahill
07-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Brianna - Ainsleigh did this around her first birthday, and it coincided with molars. I'll warn you - they take a LONG time to come in. But once they were in she went back to sleeping soundly through the night. Now that Audrey is taking steps (WOOHOO!!), she is probably really distracted by those. We think Ainsleigh is having trouble going down at night because she wants to practice more.

I don't have any words of advice, but I can commiserate. And I agree with Beth - we switched to Children's Motrin. I give Ainsleigh 1/2 tsp since she isn't 24 lbs yet. It's cheaper than the Infant stuff and I agree - I think it lasts longer. And Ainsleigh LOVES grape as well. If she's cranky during the day, have you tried grape otter pops? I'm sure the dentally-minded are going to be horrified (you're giving her SUGAR?!), but hey, when it's hot and her teeth hurt, I'll do anything:). And she gets so excited when I pull it out of the freezer.

Hang in there - it DOES get better - I PROMISE!!!!!

blnony
07-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys. I haven't tried the Children's version. I don't think she is 24 lbs yet, at 9 mos. she was 21 but I really don't think she's gained much since then. I could be wrong, but I bet she's close enough weight wise.
I'm almost out of the infants, so I may get the Children's and give it a try. Thanks again-