PDA

View Full Version : establishing a lovey???

cchavez
07-21-2003, 09:33 AM
I just ordered a barefoot buddie for DS. It is the pupply with the attached cozychic blanket in blue. I am hopint that he will really take to it since their products are so soft. Do I just him play with it throuhout the day and then feed him with it before bed time? Then i let him sleep with it? I never had a lovey so i dont know.

BTW, DS will be 12 wks tomorrow. He is starting to sleep 7 hour stretches...(7-2) but gets me up frequently after that! He also enjoys loving on a cloth diaper

tia

Marisa6826
07-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Try sleeping with the lovey YOURSELF for a few nights first. That way it will smell like you. Then give it to him when he goes to sleep. The masses say that there shouldn't be ANYTHING in the crib other than the baby, so just keep that in mind. Especially if it's a little blanket. At 12w, they don't really have the consistent motor skills to push things away from their faces if they get into trouble.

Sophie didn't particularly care for any particular item until recently. Three months might be a little young yet.

Be aware, though, that Murphy's Law says he will pick his own lovey before he chooses the one you want him to have! :)

Also - you might want to wash the puppy first.

-m

egoldber
07-21-2003, 09:56 AM
Sarah didn't "take" to a lovey until 6-7 months, so it may be a bit early yet. And FYI, I would pick the CHEAPEST, SMALLEST, most readily available item possible as a lovey. And once you notice your child has attached themselves to it IMMEDIATELY buy at least 2 more and rotate them faithfully.

I am speaking from hindsight here....

COElizabeth
07-21-2003, 10:01 AM
LOL! Our lovies are mesh weave cloth diapers. James isn't overly attached to them, but he does like to hold one when he is going to sleep, and they are definitely cheap, small, and washable!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

lizajane
07-21-2003, 10:38 AM
probably not a good idea to put a lovey in the crib just yet, but i understand how you feel because i wish i could put one in bed with DS. i tried an experiment while playing peek-a-boo. i put it over his face and left it there. he never made any attempt to move it. scary! no blankets in his bed, for sure!

Schuyler is a little older, but he, too started to enjoy playing with his cloth diapers. i "replace" them in his hands with the lovey his godmother gave him. i give it to him or "pet" him with it when i am comforting him, in hopes that he will associate it with comfort. (rocking before a nap or bed, while nursing, etc.)

cchavez
07-21-2003, 12:17 PM
thanks everyone! I will not put it in the crib with DS until he is older....how much older....????? anyone know?

I am trying to help him sleep better and in "No cry sleep solution" Pantley suggests a lovey for nite time.

Thanks.

millerpjm
07-21-2003, 12:50 PM
My DS also likes the cloth diapers we use for burp rags! He currently likes to roll around on the floor with them but will hang onto it in the crib if we leave it in there....

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03

Marisa6826
07-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Christine-

Not until he can bat it away himself. Probably around four and a half or five months.

-m