PDA

View Full Version : Footprints/Handprints without long term dyed feet?

amp
07-21-2003, 09:50 AM
Had planned this weekend to get Jacob's handprints and footprints for his baby book as well as to frame. Had "child safe washable" stamp pad, but DH tried on his own finger first. It didn't finally wash off until the end of the day, and you know how often we parents have to wash our hands! I chickened out and didn't get the footprints because I don't want Jake to have his hands and feet dyed for days. Even if we bathe him everyday, it might take days to get the "washable" ink we bought off.

When I worked in daycare, I also found that the washable finger paint and regular paint stained kids hands for a day or two. Does anyone have any suggestions for a type of stamp or paint to use that will actually wash off pretty quickly?

Would love to use something ink free like the hospitals do, but don't know if that type of things is available to the general public. Tried to search for such a product on h web, but could only find birth announcement companies who would do it for you for announcements, but that won't work in this case.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
TIA!

cinrein
07-21-2003, 10:10 AM
We used a stamp pad I got at a craft store that was non-toxic, washable and archival quality for footprints. Her feet still looked really black when wiped off, but the rest easily came off in the tub. I didn't try it on an adult hand first, but I suspect that since out hands/feet are a lot dryer and wrinkled that the ink settles into our skin more than it does into baby skin. Maybe I should just speak for myself! :)

I did find a print kit at 2 local Hallmark stores after we used the stamp pad that had the printing type that hospitals use. It was a keepsake box that would keep baby's first shoes and footprints, so it wasn't a big box. It was Child to Cherish by Perine Lowe and sold for $9.99. Here is the same kit: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/babycupboardshop/babfirshoesp.html

*edited to correct a typo*

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

August Mom
07-21-2003, 10:30 AM
This won't help for the baby book, but to frame, you can use a Baby Prints kit. It actually is an imprint of the foot and has room for a photo as well. It was very easy to use and left no marks on DS's feet. http://shopping.discovery.com/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10000&storeId=10000&productId=25854&langId=-1&search=Y&searchKey=553042199 http://shopping.discovery.com/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10000&storeId=10000&productId=22432&langId=-1&search=Y&searchKey=-1263052965

I've also seen the wall version at BRU and The Picture People.

amp
07-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. We actually already did the foot imprints using the exact kit you mentioned. It turned out great. The framed footprint idea I wanted to do was an idea "borrowed" from an ad flyer in some of the many baby items you get from the hospital etc. But the darn thing cost $40 and all it was was cute patterned paper printed with the baby's name, birthday, weight, etc. and it had the footprints next to it on cardstock. My husband said "You can do that!" I do scrapbooking, so he's right, I can. But I just chickened out of blackening Jake's feet. I also have a spot in my keepsake book for handprints and footprints and wanted to do it all at once.

amp
07-21-2003, 12:46 PM
I'll have to check our local Hallmark. I really only need the no-mess part to make the footprint, but the box would be cute too! Thanks for the idea!

SeekerMage
07-21-2003, 11:01 PM
The non toxic washable ink pads arent bad to use....and once you wash them off use a babywipe...they get out most everything and if not im sure a soak in the tub will do the trick.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Can you make a copy of the footprints the hospital did and use that? Or scan them and have it printed like a photo?

I wanted to put foot prints on the inside of my belly cast, but we never got around to doing it, so I was thinking about making copies of the ones in her baby book from the hospital and decoupaging them on.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03