PDA

View Full Version : Which is best for kids--leather or cloth interior in a vehicle?

justlearning
07-21-2003, 03:23 PM
We're getting ready to purchase a new vehicle and are trying to decide between leather or cloth seats. DH wants leather because it looks and feels more luxurious, and he said drink spills would be better on leather seats. We've never owned a vehicle with leather seats so my concerns are that they'll be hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and will get all scraped up and possibly torn with kids and car seats.

So, which type of interior would you choose if money weren't a factor and why? TIA for your input!

egoldber
07-21-2003, 03:38 PM
LOL, looks like I'm responding again to your vehicle posts. :) I have leather seats in my Grand Caravan and I think its the best way to go. Leather is very easy to clean. Stains that would be VERY hard to get out of a fabric seat, wipe up very easily from leather.

The seats can get hot in the summer, but it is easy enough to put a towel or blanket on the seat. And in the winter, they do get cold, but warm up quickly. If heated seats are available, I would recommend them. My previous car had heated seats and I do miss that now in my van (it was an available option, but not on our model).

IMO and in my experience, if cost is not an issue, go with leather seats.

HTH,

Jeanmick
07-21-2003, 03:51 PM
I definitely second the leather seats. We have a van w/ leather seats. At first, DH thought it was an extravagant expense, but after saying that stains would be harder to clean and the "smell" that could happen from spills (milk, juice, leaky diapers/pants etc.) that we weren't aware of (which WILL happen) he was convinced. He really opted for the leather when he realized that in all likelihood, HE would be the person cleaning up the mess. :)

It's much more easier and convenient to clean up, as egoldber stated.

mharling
07-21-2003, 03:54 PM
We just got a new car and I initially thought we would want cloth. For whatever reason, leather didn't sound kid-friendly to me. We ended up with leather and I'm glad we did; I agree with Beth's reasons. Definitely consider heated seats! Our existing car has them, but the new one does not. I also wonder if we'll regret not getting the DVD player. :(

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

Melaniee
07-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Just make sure ALL the seats are leather, and they probably are in a big family car, but we were surprised when Dh bought a mustang and only the front was leather. One trip with someone having something sharp in their pocket and it sliced through the vinyl. I can't believe they would make something like that. Very shady.

Also, I grew up with vinyl or leather seats and I hated how hot they were and my legs sticking to them, but I survived. I found that the professionally-scotch guarded cloth are pretty resistant, though. I spilled a soda on one and it beaded right up.