PDA

View Full Version : Is a built-in DVD system in a vehicle worth the extra $$$?

justlearning
07-21-2003, 03:29 PM
We're trying to decide if we should get the DVD system or not. If you have one, do you think it's worth the $$? My concerns are that the 7" screen is too small and that it'd be hard to see if it's sunny outside and that it's expensive. But, DH wants to get it. Would do you say? Is there a cheaper alternative DVD travel system that we could get later if we wanted to? I suggested just taking a laptop computer along that plays DVDs, but DH said a young child wouldn't be able to hold in on his/her lap. TIA for any input or suggestions!

egoldber
07-21-2003, 03:33 PM
I have one in my Dodge Grand Caravan (got it as a dealer installed option) and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!! The screen may be small, but my toddler doesn't care. And it makes a HUGE different when taking long car trips. If you don't plan to take a lot of trips, then it may not be worth it, but both sets of grandparents live a several hour drive away from us.

There are less expensive ways to get an in-vehicle DVD player but in general, these after market solutions are less convenient for the driver to be able to use. My player is in the dash and is just like putting in music CDs to play.

When using a laptop, a young child will definitely not to be able to use it. It would also be highly unsafe in the event of a collision.

HTH,