PDA

View Full Version : Answer on using the EPT twice...

phirey
07-21-2003, 06:50 PM
OK Neve, now that we all know the REAL reason you were asking about pregnancy tests! :D Congratulations!

I got stuck in surgery Friday and never made it to the office, so I experimented with the pg tests today.

The answer appears to be a QUALIFIED "yes." I took three negative pregnancy tests (one from me and one each from two volunteer nurses, in case any HIPPA types are out there), and after a little while I dripped urine from three different early pregnant women (with their permission). Each one eventually did turn positive. HOWEVER, the lines were very very light, kind of washed out, if the absorbant pad was still wet at all. The best one we had was allowed to dry about 6 hours and then re-tested.

FWIW, these tests do not give false positives, only false negatives. This should be true for all brands. If a woman has a positive UPT, but turns out not to be pg, then it is presumed to have been a very early miscarriage...

Here is how I would recommend using this information: If you are spending a fortune on pg tests, and maybe just tested yesterday, and you really want to test again today but hate to "waste" another test, reuse one that's good and dry (which I would guess it would be after 24 hours). If you get a positive, or any hint of positive, retest with a new test. If you get a negative, try again in a few days. I wouldn't recommend using them more than once.

Happy testing everyone!

mama2be
07-21-2003, 07:34 PM
Peggy,

Thank you so much for "testing" for us...I really thought about it and was certain that it would detect it somehow...HMMM...of course the boxes say in huge letters "only use once"...how much money do they get from each...I would say the same thing too :)...

Tell your crew thanks so much for pee'ing to experiment for us...what a great crew you work with :)...

Thanks again!!!!

egoldber
07-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Neve, I think a re-used test would give a lot of false negatives, so I'm sure that's why they label it this way.

But of course, the companies have ZERO incentive to actually design and develop a true re-usable pregnancy test!!

phirey
07-21-2003, 09:16 PM
I agree on the false negative thing. And on re-reading my post I guess I didn't make that clear. The line was very very faint on the two that were still "wet." Could easily be missed in poor lighting. Plus they took maybe 20 minutes or more to show positive. Since it wasn't "real" to me (ie I wasn't anxious to get a result), I wasn't pacing outside the door to see what happened. I just left it on my desk and checked it after a while...

FWIW, one of the pg patients who we "borrowed" urine from was only 5 weeks pregnant, so pretty early. Again, the line was faint, but definitely there. When reusing a test, keep in mind a faint line is still a line and merits re-checking with a new test. And a negative could still be positive, so no going on a bender until you know for sure... :D

Hey, at least these things are a little more reusable than the rabbits our moms' docs supposedly used! Hee Hee.

mama2be
07-21-2003, 09:39 PM
I agree it best not to maybe "endorse" this for true testing ....but it is good info to know :)...
thanks again :)

trumansmom
07-21-2003, 11:07 PM
What an interesting experiment! Now we know!

However, I would respectfully disagree with your statement about no false positives. I have a friend who recently took an Equate brand test, got a positive, and then because she had a history of miscarriage, she had a blood draw on the same day. She had no hcg, was definitely not pregnant or miscarrying, yet still had the positive test.

Also, at the family planning clinic where I work (I am not medical staff, so this is anecdotal), we recently had two teenagers come in in a panic. They had both had positive urine tests (Equate brand again), but when they re-tested at our clinic, they were both negative. In fact one girl said she was taking the test to "keep her friend company" and hadn't had sex in months.

So I understand in theory how there shouldn't be such a thing as a false positive, but this one brand appears to be the exception to the rule.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

zen_bliss
07-22-2003, 03:31 AM
very interesting! thank you!

as a side note for those who are TTC and just hemhorraging $$$ on tests, there is a place here (not sure if it is national) called the 99ยข store. they always have pregnancy tests, and i can attest to their working! i had a bunch from an earlier TTC in the year, and had put them aside. they detected mine at 4 weeks (i was not TTC at that point, surprise!) anyway, if anyone is getting themselves into a fiscal bind over these tests (of course you want to keep testing!), i'd be happy to pick up a bunch for you. just email me privately -- click on the email icon.

bubblegum
07-22-2003, 10:36 PM
There is also a website called babywishes.com you can get pg tests for $1.00 each and free shipping. I believe it is non-profit. I have used them myself!
Brannon :)

phirey
07-23-2003, 05:57 AM
Oh, that is so cool! I will definitely tell my TTC patients to go to that site (and/or check the dollar store). What they normally charge for those things is such a rip!

Thanks!