PDA

View Full Version : Teething Question - will a tooth ever not come out on its own?

lukkykatt
07-21-2003, 07:55 PM
My poor little guy is in the throes of teething right now. He's got 4 teeth coming in all at once and not very happy about it. BUT, one tooth has been "coming in" for at least three or four weeks now. At that spot, his gums are swollen from top to bottom, almost like a little blister outlining the whole area where his tooth eventually will be. BTW, the tooth is not poking through the bottom at all.

I have never seen this before. Usually the gum is just swollen at the bottom, at the place where the tooth will pop out. I hope this is making sense. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had a tooth come in like this before. Does a tooth ever need intervention to come out, or will it eventually come through on its own? If so, how long does it take when it comes in like this?

Rachels
07-21-2003, 09:38 PM
Sigh. All of Abby's teeth seem to be doing this. It feels interminable! Hang in there. Late teeth are reputed to be strong teeth. (I'll buy anything for consolation.)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

COElizabeth
07-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Sounds like James' teeth, too! I've never heard of them not coming in, but it can definitely take a LONG time. They even recede as they are coming up, so it's one step forward, two steps back sometimes, it seems!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02