PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is this too much for an ADT alarm system?

etwahl
07-21-2003, 08:53 PM
We're just investigating an adt alarm system. they quoted us approx. $1500 (with usaa discount) for a full system including 5 door contacts, 12 window contacts, fire and carbon monoxide detection, and 3 keypads, wireless. Does this sound about right? we're still in our hotel, just trying to get a few things done before our stuff gets here, which we're not sure when.

also, when getting quotes on painting and carpet cleaners, how do you know that someone is really reputable and good?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

pritchettzoo
07-21-2003, 09:34 PM
That sounds really high. Are you familiar with Clark Howard? He's a consumer advocate based here in Atlanta, but his radio show is broadcast around the country. I did a quick search on his site and found this:
http://clarkhoward.com/library/tips/security_systems.html

It's not exactly on point with price figures, but it might be helpful. I'd bet his website has info on the painting and carpet cleaning question too. If you go with small companies, be sure to check their references. We almost hired a tree cutter and then called the people he gave us as references and I think I learned some new words from one of them...

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

mama2be
07-21-2003, 09:37 PM
Tammy try a compnay called SSS...they are big here and I know one of their owners...i am pretty sure that they have an office out there.
Tell them a friend of Deborah Kennedy recommended them...I hope they are there...almost everyone here uses them...

kransden
07-22-2003, 09:00 AM
That is crazy!!! My DH used to travel a lot and I have an alarm system. I have 2 key pads, 2 doors, a bunch of glass breakage detectors (They wanted motion detectors but that was silly with my cats.), and 2 fire and carbon monoxide detection. The installation was about 100.00 plus 30.00 a month. These people are taking you for a ride. They make all the money off your service contract. On ADT website they have a $99.00 offer. I realize you are getting a lot of additional stuff, but $1400 worth?
[http://www.home-alarm-security-systems.com/]
We have used Brinks since 1998 and are very happy with them. BTW the fire detection equipment really does work.
Here is their 800 number 1-800-423-8682.

Karin
Katie 10/24/02

michlee
07-22-2003, 09:33 AM
I'd stay away from ADT and go with Brinks or someone else.

Here's my story. My dh and I bought a house that was built on the Bob Vila show "Home Again". As part of the show, ADT donated what they claimed was an $8,000 security/fire system. In exchange for the donation, Bob Vila plugged their product many times. (In essence, free advertising for ADT.)

You'd think ADT would have been happy with the plugs and felt they got their money's worth. But after we bought the house, ADT starting calling to harrass us into purchasing one of their service contracts. And I do mean harrass. The harrassment continued for months. And on top of it all, their $8,000 system kept breaking and sending out loud shreiking false alarms in the middle of the night. Our system is now unplugged.

-Michelle

Calmegja
07-22-2003, 10:26 AM
We have an ADT with 4 door contacts, all lower windows hooked in, and a motion detector on the second floor. We wanted to go with a different company, but around here, there's not much of a choice.

Installed, it was $449, two years ago, and we got a certificate that lets us put the same amount in a new house for free if we move after two years (which we will be, so it was a good deal)

The $1500 sounds way high, to me....

Andrea S
07-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Tammy,

My dh is a sales rep for ADT I will ask him when he gets home to look at your equip list.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

deenass
07-22-2003, 03:26 PM
When we moved into our house, we knew NO ONE so we had to find painters and service people on our own. We got a weekly local paper that tradespeople advertised in. I would ususally call up to 5 peopel (for a particular service) then based on who called me back (you'd be surprised how many don't!) I would ask for references who I'd then call. I found my cleaning lady (now with me for 2 1/2 years) a painter, a sheet rocker and a driveway guy that way ... it's a little bit of legwork, but I've been really ahppy with everyone I've employed so far.

etwahl
07-22-2003, 08:02 PM
Andrea, I would love to hear what your DH says. I think we've decided not to do the window contacts (or glass breaks) and the price drops to around $800, which is still a lot, but we do have 5 door contacts and 3 keypads. Incidentally, I did call ALL the other local alarm companies, and they were all in the same price range (some up to $2000) for what we were wanting.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Andrea S
07-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Tammy,

I tried to send an e-mail to you with my husband's info. but it came back. If you could send me your e-mail address to [email protected], I will put you in touch with my husband (too much information to share to post on this board)

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

etwahl
07-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Andrea, thanks, but would you mind having him resend it? I just had to update my email address, as the one in my profile was my old email address and no longer exists.

I'll also try and send this to you via email if it's set up in your profile. thanks so much for your help!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Andrea S
07-22-2003, 09:11 PM
Tammy,

I just e-mailed the info. to your yahoo account.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

nigele
07-23-2003, 09:48 AM
Tammy,

That sounds like a lot to me! We have Brinks and here is a trick we learned: we interviewed the Brinks guy at 6:00 and the ADT guy at 6:30. They ADT guy arrived before the Brinks guy left and so they "met" in our foyer. The very next morning, the Brinks guy called to offer us a deal we could not refuse. I'm sure this would not have happened if he didn't see the competition face-to-face.

BTW - sorry I didn't respond to your e-mail from a couple of weeks ago, we've been in England. I assume your e-mail address has changed now? Please e-mail me when you get a chance as I'd love to get together as soon as you're settled!

Melaniee
07-25-2003, 02:37 AM
Well, I assume you purchased your home...if so, I would wait a couple of weeks (if you feel safe) b/c in Cali. you suddenly get on this "send me everything from carpet cleaning to window blinds" list when you buy a home. We got our entire system for free if we signed up for a year of service. Actually, we paid for a few extras like smoke/fire and roll-up garage door, but seriously, there were so many freebie contacts that it covered our entire home...every window, every door. We also got some solicitations for THREE free contacts, I am glad we waited...