PDA

View Full Version : First vacation with baby -- what to pack?

phirey
07-22-2003, 09:32 AM
We're finally going on our first vacation with DD -- more like a whirlwind trip to show her off to both sides of the family, with a side run to the beach. Going to eastern NC (Kinston, Jacksonville, and Wrightsville Beach for those who know the area), so it will be pretty hot.

We'll be gone for 6 days and we'll be driving. How do I pack for her? I can already see myself bringing both strollers, the pack-n-play, the exersaucer, the leapfrog learning table, the portable high chair, and every toy, piece of clothing, bib, bottle, spoon, etc that she owns! I do have sunscreen, coverups, and sunglasses. Luckily we have a large vehicle, but how do you manage???

And is there anything new I need to buy to entertain a 9-month-old at the beach? is she old enough for sand play? Will she try to eat the sand? Do I need to keep her out of it?

egoldber
07-22-2003, 09:41 AM
Give your 9 month old a bucket and shovel and they will be very happy at the beach! She will try to eat the sand, but I would just let her experience it. If she LIKES the sand, you may have a problem, but I wouldn't worry about it :)

And the more I travel with DD, the more I think that less is more. Take only one stroller, a portable high chair, and a couple feeding items. A couple SMALL familiar, favorite toys and books (and a lovey if she has one). And the PNP if you need it as a place for her to sleep. Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much. When you travel, your child finds stimulation everywhere, especially when you visit family!

natividad
07-22-2003, 02:56 PM
I second Beth's suggestions. We took our first vacation last month with our DS and indeed less is more. Of course, in our case we had it rather "easy" since we rented a beach house for a week in Duck, NC (Outer Banks) which was FULLY equipted. The beach house had beach toys (some even unopened), videos and even a high chair! I took our FP portable swing, Baby Bjorn and Combi Ultra Savvy. DS was still exclusively BF then so no need for solid feeding utensils. We didn't take every single toy with us. We took the ones DS really likes and he was pretty stimulated with all the new surroundings and sightseeings. We also didn't take a lot of clothes, but then again we had a washer and dryer so we did laundry a couple of times. Oh, by the way, we took our FP monitor because the house was two levels. The key is to relax and enjoy your vacation.

Have fun!
Naty

mama2be
07-22-2003, 04:36 PM
I'm laughing out loud...because I feel like I can dish it out but can't follow my own advice. I was about to say pack the babies stuff and then remove 90% of it and take the 10%. I pack my SUV filled to the rim for just me and Tristan when I go to my parents/friends house just 4 hours away..I meanhe's 4 months old and it is FULL!!!

Kinston I think is within an hour from me I'm in Clayton...Wrightsville is 1 hour and 30 minutes...:)
If you come up our way or to the outlets off of 95 get intouch with me if you want to go shopping or come by for lunch :)...

Safe travels!!!!