PDA

View Full Version : Baby Sitter for a SAHM

StaceyKim
07-22-2003, 12:48 PM
Hi
I currently have found a woman to sit for my baby a few days a week. I want to guarantee that she doesn't look for another job but I also don't want her watching my DS full time either since I am a SAHM. She is willing to work on Fri. and Sat. nights for me if I need her. I would like to offer her a flat rate that I would guarantee her each week so she doesn't look for other work. She sits for a friend of mine 1 day a week for the whole day too.
What would you offer her per week?
Anyone else in the same situation??

SeekerMage
07-22-2003, 11:46 PM
I wouldnt offer a flat weekly rate. I say this being a nanny and knowing that some times you stay later then others, or leave earlier. She may feel that she is not getting paid enough and want to seek other work vs being paid for the time she is actually there. And I would pay her for the time she is there, that extra half an hour, fifteen minutes etc add up.
If you want to guaruntee her staying with you for some time, try making dates for her weeks in advance....like gee are you available August 11th etc. That way you know she will be around for the future.
You can also work out a contract with her whether verbal or written (mine is written), ask her to give you notice if she plans on seeking other employment, offer a review and possible pay raise after a certian amount of time etc. Dont forget you are her boss and she should reasonably give you notice just like any other job. you can also see if she will help around the house with odd jobs etc...all those things can go into the contract if you wish the extra help. Even if you dont do a contract, I would suggest talking to her and saying you need the help and like having her around, dont know what you would do without her, had a hard time finding her etc, and would like notice if she decides to seek other employment. Among other things its just common curteosy!
Also notice the little things she does, a compliment goes a long way. I know it always makes my day when I get a gee thanks for doing that, and it always makes me look forward to going back to work, especially if the baby/child is having a crabby day etc.
I would if anything work out a schedule on a weekly basis....work say monday wednesday friday on a permanent schedule, or just at the start of the week plan something. I work for a stay at home mom and we have a set schedule of 12 to 6 that is flexible if need be. It just helps me to plan my day and her to plan hers. Some weeks I stay longer and others I dont work as much...she always lets me know ahead of time so it all works out. I think that a set schedule if possible would really help then you are guarunteed her to be there on those specific days and times if set. You can also plan your week a little better if you are the planning sort! You can have her set for a number of days a week, but that doesnt mean you have to have her all those days. If you really dont need the one day let her know ahead of time at the beginning of the week so she can make other plans, but then mention that I know Ill need you more next week etc. Just look to the future and let her know she is needed!
Hope this helps!

StaceyKim
07-23-2003, 08:31 AM
Hi
Thanks for your advice!
Unfortunately I decided that this girl I was thinking about is not going work out. I just think she expects to be paid as if she is a nanny (which she is not). So, I am not going to hire her even thinking that she will be unhappy because she is watching my DS. I think she was trying to play hardball or something and it turned my DH and I off to her.

egoldber
07-23-2003, 08:50 AM
I have had good luck with college students and au pairs as babysitters. There was a young woman in my neighborhood who was a foreign national going to school. She had a flexible schedule and I had her in one day a week for several hours so that I could get a break. She is out of the country right now and I REALLY miss her!!!

I have also started using a couple au pairs as weekend babysitters. Au pairs are often looking for ways to make extra money babysitting on weekends. They are restricted in the number of hours per week they can work for their host family and many are grateful to find other places to earn money. They are experienced at modern child care and often have their own transportation, etc.

In both cases, I pay a straight hourly wage. For the woman who was coming in once a week, we had a "schedule" set up, so she could rely on it.

HTH,

SeekerMage
07-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Im sorry to hear that your girl didnt work out. I know how tough it can be finding the right person. If you are interested I can give you the name of the nanny service that I work for. Its a stay at home mom that runs the business and she sets up part time babysitting, full time nannys and the occasional sitter. One thing that is nice is that all her employees have background checks done on them, including criminal and education and references. Her fees are reasonable and she is a real pleasure to work with. I live in the chicago area as does she but I know she helps place people all over if you are interested. Please let me know!

marchmommy
07-27-2004, 06:36 PM
I was just looking up "baby sitter advice" and Kathyrn, I read your post. Could you give me your contact info - I live in the Chicago area and am looking for a full or part-time nanny. ...