PDA

View Full Version : need help finding wedding gift for an older couple

cchavez
07-22-2003, 12:57 PM
My good friend/former coworker recently got remarried this past June. She and DH only started dating right after xmas....but their marriage wasn't much of a surprise...it was obvious they were meant for each other....however they only planned the wedding in 2 weeks...so friends and family did not have much time to prepare...

we didn't even get to go to the wedding b/c ds was only 6 wks old and there was a huge hail storm that nite

anyway, they are both in their forties....very conservative and very health conscious....they are currently TTC as neither have children

I don't know what to get them for a wedding gift...they are not registered anywhere....

They love Whole Foods so thought about a gift cert from there but would rather give them something more personal or even something really useful!! Any ideas???

I also thought about a fruit basket from Harry and DAvid?????

They don't like to go out to eat and only rarely go to the movies(they only like certain movies)....gifts for her are easy....she loves chocolate and bath products....maybe a gift cert. for Godiva????But since they are TTC I think she gave up chocolate.

I haven't had to worrry about getting a gift b/c they have been gone for the Summer.

Her birthday is in a few weeks... and I thought about combining the gifts....but she loves " My Big Fat Greek Wedding" so I am going to get her that for her birthday.

Thanks!!!

pritchettzoo
07-22-2003, 01:21 PM
What about a gift basket combining their favorite things? It would be more personal than a gift certificate. My mom makes gift baskets for a living, so one word of caution: keep track of what you're buying to put in it because it adds up quicker than you think!

You could put in some nice bath products, a bottle of wine or champagne (or sparkling juice), some candles, crackers, cheese, a classical CD...you know, things to help the TTC-ing along! ;o) You could pack it all in a picnic basket--I saw some great ones on clearance at TJ Maxx, and then that would be re-useable too.

Just a thought. HTH!

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

cchavez
07-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Great idea! I think there are some picnic baskets on sale at Target plus I could include the video for My big fat greek wedding.

I have looked everywhere.....red envelepe.com, Amazond, Target.com, Marshall Fields...etc!!! So your idea may be it!! Thanks.

cinrein
07-23-2003, 08:57 AM
I love doing gift baskets and often make up my own for people who are hard to buy for.

I just wanted to suggest something else that is a little bit easier. Penzey's spices sells gift boxes of spice assortments. There a tons of different themes, even wedding ones. If they cook, it's a nice idea that is "different". Here is a link to them: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/c-Gift_Boxes.html?id=aGToNQzX

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

trumansmom
07-23-2003, 11:41 AM
*** Edited for spelling.

I LOVE Penzey's spices as a gift! I use them all the time, and frequently send them as gifts. The quality is wonderful, and they come packed in bay leave and other wonderfully aromatic spices. Yummmmmm.

And as someone who married older (I was 35 and he was just shy of 40), and who conceived right away, we are still getting great use out of the wonderful picture frames we recieved as gifts. You can never have too many!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

ddmarsh
07-23-2003, 11:44 AM
I enjoy giving a wedding gift of the invitation framed at a frame shop. People always appreciate them, especially because it may not have been something they would have thought of doing themselves.

Debbie

cchavez
07-23-2003, 12:05 PM
I like the spice idea but she had her gall bladder removed and can only eat bland foods.....The picture frame idea is nice too! thanks.

JustMare
07-23-2003, 02:05 PM
My Aunt did this for us and we love it!!! You always think of getting your invitation framed but never get around to actually doing it. It was such a nice surprise that she had it done for us. I like this idea since it's something they will actually have and to display in their home.