PDA

View Full Version : What items are/were a total waste of money?

KathyO
07-23-2003, 01:23 PM
My brother and his wife are starting a family, and I am having an unseemly amount of fun hammering out little tongue-in-cheek collections of "Things I wish someone had told me" (white clothing and spit-up do not mix... do not invest heavily in newborn clothing because it will be outgrown in a matter of weeks... etc.)

Realizing that one person's Total Waste of Money is another person's Lifesaving Must-Have Item, I nevertheless put it out to you:

What things do you think are unneccessary, don't do what they're supposed to, or are just plain a weird idea?

And, if you're into it, you can also add "things I wish someone had told me"!

Cheers,

KathyO

Momof3Labs
07-23-2003, 01:43 PM
Oh, these threads are always SO much fun!!

Waste of money:

Bouncy chair
Baby Bjorn
Swing
Bottle warmer
Baby Whisperer book
Gina Ford book

What I wish that someone had told me:

Hire a doula
Have a lactation consultant lined up before baby is born
Read Happiest Baby on the Block BEFORE baby comes along
Cloth diapers are not that hard to do, and can be fun (well, many of you said that, I just didn't believe you)
Buy a sling and learn how to use it (okay, many of you said that, too)
Clean clothes make babies nauseous (aka Babies have strong opinions about which outfits they don't like)

JustMare
07-23-2003, 02:02 PM
The one item that stands out that all my girlfriends are telling me to avoid is that "Bouncy Dome Bassinett Thingy". They sell it near the bouncy seats but it's more of a bassinett seat with a huge canopy. I have not heard of one baby who enjoys this contrapsion. All my friends agree that they thought it looked cooler than a traditional bouncy seat and it's nearly double the price. Each one of them has this thing in the corner of the nursery unused and had to run out and purchase a traditional bouncy seat.

Moral of story:
Go for a traditional standard (AKA Fisher Price) bouncy seat. Avoid new flashy alternatives.

egoldber
07-23-2003, 02:10 PM
Ok, I'll play!

Wastes of money:

bottle warmer
sterilizer
Gymini
Baby Bjorn
shopping cart covers (sorry ladies...)
snow suits for infants
side snap T-shirts
a coordinated nursery with all the accessories

Things I wish someone had told me:

Even though it seems like ONLY you can take care of your baby, they really will be OK while you take a nap (OK, people did tell me that, I didn't listen...)

Just because your baby doesn't follow the schedule in someone's book doesn't make you a bad mom.

Breastfeeding is hard!

Have a mommy support group lined up! Even if it seems dorky now, it will NOT seem dorky when you're 6 weeks postpartum and desperate for someone to go to lunch with that understands that you may need to breastfeed your baby 3 times during that 90 minute period!

Lower your standards of housekeeping and everyone will be much happier.

My 2 cents,

Calmegja
07-23-2003, 02:13 PM
Actually, I liked the dome that zipped with mesh....;-)

It protected my 4th babe from prying little hands and curious fingers, and he was happy as a clam in there....My girlfriends and I all had them with our babes, and we all love them.

We must be some strange midwestern pocket anomaly on those things....;-)

COElizabeth
07-23-2003, 02:22 PM
Waste of money - not a lot of things, but I guess I could get by with fewer bottles since he's never taken one very well.

I wish someone had told me to keep swaddling but use a bigger blanket. We went back to it eventually and figured it out, but there was a month or so in between when he really could have benefited from it, I think.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

Marisa6826
07-23-2003, 02:26 PM
We get TONS of use out of the Bjorn. But then again, we live in the city. It's a lot quicker to throw the Bjorn on to walk the dogs or run to the corner store than it is to lug the stroller.

We also LIVED for our Bouncy Seat and Swing.

Clearly, the bottom line is that it entirely depends on your situation.

-m

trumansmom
07-23-2003, 02:29 PM
I love this!

Things that got used 2 times or less:
Baby Bjorn
Maya Wrap sling (I actually used this more than 2 times and liked it for a really, really limited time. Will try some other kind of sling next time.)
Drool bibs (He wasn't a spitter)
Sleep sacks & baby gowns (I know - everyone else seems to love them!)
Nursing shirts
Buntings
Crib tent (NEVER used it!)

Things I wish someone had told me:

6 weeks is NOT enough time to take off work!
Limit visitors at the hospital!
Stock up on food that requires little or no prep and can be eaten while nursing an infant.
Nursing stools really, really help.
Like Beth said - breastfeeding isn't easy!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

mharling
07-23-2003, 02:30 PM
You must be right about that! My brother and SIL who live outside of Des Moines gave us one for a shower gift. We like it a lot! It's also great for outside for protection from bugs if we want to sit on the patio.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

JustMare
07-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Okay, so it MUST be a regional thing :)

Let me say this then, none of my friends in New York liked it :)

In all honesty, I've never heard of any baby enjoying it. It's good to know that yours did. Perhaps I'll borrow it from my friends to see if my babe likes it. I know they will gladly let me have it :)

mharling
07-23-2003, 02:45 PM
We've gotten by without:
Bottle warmer
Wipes warmer
Traditional bouncy seat
Infant bathtub
Ultimate crib sheet
Crib bedding set

Things we started using, but don't anymore:
Store bought wipes
Onesies (except for non-white ones as part of outfits)

Things we use a lot and couldn't imagine not having:
Baby Bjorn
Cloth dipes (not as diapers)
Boppy
Sun/bug shade for the stroller
Good quality receiving blankets

Things I wish people would have told me:
I agree with Beth - Breastfeeding is hard! Learn as much as you can ahead of time.
That it would take 10 minutes go through the bathroom routine!

Things I would tell others:
Limit hospital visitors. We only had our parents and dh's sister. I couldn't imagine any more than that.
Enjoy pregnancy! It's an amazing and marvelous experience.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

KMommie
07-23-2003, 03:52 PM
This is fun!

Hardly/Never Used-
Baby Bjorn and New Native Sling- (should have researched first, and gotten better products for my personal style)
Sleep Sacks- thinking about that one, it's probably regional, the weather here doesn't really warrant any type of covering.
Bottle Warmer- bought one for the car and one for the nursery, used both of them twice.
Bouncy Seat- maybe I will use this as DD gets older?!
Crib Tent- bought one to keep out the kitty, but never used it. Thinking about giving it to SIL to keep her DS from wandering around at night, though.

Never Bothered-
Infant Bathtub
Wipes Warmer
Sterilizer

Wish someone had told me-
Lactation Consultant- have one beforehand if you plan on bf-ing
Don't feel badly if you choose to formula feed.
Try a variety of bottles before you buy into a system. Babies do have preferences.
Babies grow fast, don't cut the tags off and wash everything until AFTER the baby is here.

LisaS
07-23-2003, 03:59 PM
LOVED:
-- Bouncy Seat (Combi)
-- Gymini
-- Graco Swing
-- FP Deluxe Take-Along Swing
-- Boppy Tummy Time toy
-- Baby Bjorn
-- Big traditional carriage (2-in-1 convertible) w/bassinet!!! (thought I could get by w/just a snap-n-go -- got an Emma and this was probably best $600 ever spent)
-- Avent Steam Sterilizer
-- Avent Pacifiers w/individual covers (much easier to keep clean)
-- Kiehls Moisturizing Baby Shampoo
-- Carter's Thermal Waffle Receiving Blankets
-- Side Snap Tees
-- Sleepers that snap by the butt/up the back
-- Snowsuit that actually fits for a winter baby -- (not one that is 2 sizes too big as everyone tells you to buy)
-- Sleep sacs (started using them at 8 months -- wish I discovered them before)
-- Triplepaste diaper cream
-- Hip Carrier
-- FP Bouncy Activity Dome (we LOVED it -- so sorry to hear ppl don't -- this is the reason we had such great vacations w/DD when she was younger -- she sat in this happiily protected from bugs and entertained by the little toys in it and we relaxed by the pool!)
-- Baby Whisperer Book
-- Contented Little Baby Book

COULD'VE LIVED WITHOUT:
-- Bottle warmer
-- Boppy
-- Chenille bumper set
-- Shopping cart cover (more of a hassle to remember to bring -- and its big -- doesn't fold up teeny enough to fit in a diaper bag -- these things are their own bag!)
-- Entire family arriving at my apartment within hours of getting home from hospital!!!

WISH SOMEONE TOLD ME:
-- Breastfeeding is HARDEST thing abt having a baby -- makes labor and delivery seem easy.
-- Give yourself time before allowing visitors at home -- no matter how close family or friends they are
-- Lots of things can happen the first few weeks -- don't be scared and if things happen - know you're not alone and any good ped has dealt with these before: lots of babies have hernias, have blood in their diapers from passing phosphates and urates

mama2be
07-23-2003, 04:13 PM
WEll I'm frugal on some things and splurge on others...I feel like if I buy a bouncer "second hand" wash the cover and disinfect the frame and I get it for $4 and new it would have cost me $40 I look at it as playing the "stock market" and recouping my money 13 fold (due to tax when spent AND taxes when earned:)...That's a tip from my old boyfriend who was very wealthy!!!! :)

So with that said there is no way I could have lived without my $4 bouncy seat...it is the simplest one that vibrates and god we love it...Tristan gets plopped on the table while we eat in that thing...even at restaurants :)

My friend lent me her swing and couldn't have lived without it

A friend just lent us her "walker" and to see him in it is so much fun...he's moving the handles and rolling the ball, and spinning the flowers on it as I type :)...

There is not much that I wasted money on
* I certaintly didn't need all of the clothes I have
* I also did not need the baby bath tub
* and could have lived without the Gymni
* changing tables (I have never changed him on either BUT I do store my diaper stuff on them and since gotten at a thrift store for $20 each I wouldn't change that purchase either.
* receiving blankets from the store. Steve's co-wrker made me 7 or 8 that are large...I coudl have lived with 5 of them and only them :)

...I didn't need his pretty room...BUT I wouldn't change it for the world... love it and the joy of doing it will always be in my mind and heart.

Things I'm glad I didn't waste money on
Disposable diapers
plastic arch kick thing
big platic bouncers with the "hoopla"
big plastic "tiny tikes" stuff
car seats that last only 3 months and you carry them by the handle
any bottles other than Dr Browns wide mouth
any expensive formula
thoguh I use disposable wipes and cloth wipes I could easily live without the disposable ones.

bluej
07-23-2003, 04:20 PM
This thing has been MY most convenient/favorite thing for the past three weeks (even though I think it's hideous!)! Ryden is small enough yet that it worked perfectly for his 'bed' while we were gone for three weeks. Much smaller to bring along than a PNP. Plus it was priceless for those days we spent at the lake on the beach (protected him from the sun and kept bugs and sand off of him) and on the pontoon (big enough to hold him while he was wearing a life jacket - I don't think a bouncy seat would have worked). I have to say, it hasn't been Ryden's favorite thing as far as playing in it (he doesn't mind sleeping in it one bit). Since we've been home I've discovered that if I put the Boppy in it and prop him up so he can see the activity bar thing and be able to look around outside of it he is much happier than if I just lay him in it. Even if he doesn't use it again, it was priceless for our trip and well worth the money.

edited to add: I should mention that we're midwesterners as well!

brubeck
07-23-2003, 04:20 PM
Big wastes of money:

infant carseat (just buy a convertible and save yourself the cash)
bottle warmer
wipes warmer
gowns (always ride up, useless, buy sleepers instead)
hooded towels (just use a regular SOFT adult towl)
mobile/crib toys (crib is for sleeping, not play)
glider (just buy a comfy, padded chair, doesn't have to glide)
baby soaps, lotions etc. (not needed until baby is 6 months)
crib bedding sets (comforter is useless and this is the most expensive part)
play yard (just put baby on a blanket on the floor and spend the money on a gate when he's older)

Cannot live without:

Baby Bjorn
lots of sleepers for the first 6-9 months
Gymini, Kickstart Gym
lots of burp cloths (cloth diapers)
Diaper Genie
Baby Bjorn bib
a GOOD diaper bag
a bunch of small teething/baby toys (eg: Sassy gift set) for toy rotation, and links to go with them

I did get a shopping cart seat and I used it a LOT with Amy. I just kept it in my car so it was always handy whenever I went to the supermarket. The only reason I don't use it with Andrew is that Amy still sits in the shopping car seat.

Laurelsmom2002
07-23-2003, 04:57 PM
Must have
Baby Bjorn- she's almost sucked the black off, I couldn't have vaccumed in the early days w/out it and when fussy in evenings dh would wear it w/ her and she would be happy as a clam
Happiest baby book
Dr Gordons Nipple cream
Lactation consultant visit- not just the ones in the hospital, but one that was actually focused on you for an hour if you need it
So Thats what their for book
Nursing mothers problem solver book
Gymani
Hand me down baby clothes- so you wont feel so bad when they grow out of them soo fast
Vibrating baby bouncer- so you can shower
sleep sac- we sleep w/ air on to about 72
sound machine
night light w/ automatic off- nice for getting lached on in middle of night but dosent wake her up enough she wont go back to sleep
D-link for laptop so you can surf/ go to boards when marathon bf sessions occur

Waste of $
Infant car seat- although I love the lightweight stroller it came w/
infant positioner
extra base for above car seat
heart beat bear- shower gift never used

wish someone had told me
Go to LC earlier and dont try to solve all problems yourself

Colleen
Laurel9/16/02

Karenn
07-23-2003, 05:34 PM
Primo Viaggio Carseat
"neck boppy"
wipe warmer
boppy
side snap t-shirts

parkersmama
07-23-2003, 05:46 PM
Hmmm. Good question(s)! My answers are completely different depending on which baby we're talking about! LOL! There are things that I used the first time around that I don't bother with now and things I use now that I wish I'd had back then! :-)

Wastes of money:
wipe warmer
Over The Shoulder Baby Holder
toys that don't ever get used (come on, folks, only a couple of rattles needed! LOL!)
drool bibs
portable baby monitor (we never unplug the one we have)
baby bath robe
diaper genie
shopping cart cover
sleepers (I hate those suckers...my babies pulled feet up into the legs and woke up screaming because they couldn't get them back where they go!!)

Never bothered:
sterilizer
changing table
bottle warmer
bunting/carseat covers

Worth their weight in gold:
PIS breast pump
Avent Isis breast pump
Avent bottles (these first three were all used the first two times around but not this time)
FP Take-along swing
Symphony in Motion mobile
large, square flannel blankets (for swaddling)
noise machine
Happiest Baby book
The Baby Book by Dr. Sears
KK fleece pouch

Things I wish I'd known:
It really, honestly gets easier with each child (meaning that knowing what you're doing goes a long way toward having an easy time!).
Ignore do-gooders and advice-givers (unsolicited) and do what feels right.
The pediatrician doesn't always know what's best for you and your child.
Breastfeeding is hard to do but totally worth it and also 100X easier the second time around.
You will love your children so fiercely and so passionately that it will drive you to tears sometimes so don't worry when it happens...it's normal! :-)

DDowning
07-23-2003, 06:15 PM
I received the FP Playdome as a shower gift and I agree - this thing is great! We prop it right on our coffee table in the FR. Sure, its not the coolest looking thing but it works good now before we transition DS to the PNP.

I'll add that I'm from OC, Calif.

C99
07-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Yeah, my SIL has one that her 6-mo sleeps in when traveling.

rplum
07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
Things we used:

*Theodore Bean front baby carrier
*traditional bouncy chair
*baby bath tub
*Boppy pillow (a god send for BF moms)
*Baby swing
*bassinett
*Lands End diaper back pack (awesome)
*infant car seat
*diaper genie
*Ameda breast pump (if you plan to BF)

Things sitting in our closet:
*newborn outfits
*booties
*stuffed animals

Things we couldn't get enough of:
*side snap undershirts (it's too bad they don't make these for 9mos+
*burp cloths

Things I wish someone told me:
*I also agree breastfeeding is hard. Work intensive but many positives for you and baby. Take a class before the baby's born (try to bring your significant other if you can) Don't give up!
*A good lactation consultant is invaluable.
*You can somewhat function on 5 hours sleep/day....:P. "Sleep when the baby sleeps" didn't work for me
*It seems everyone else has something to say about how to raise your baby...You're the parents, you know best.

DDowning
07-23-2003, 06:36 PM
Fortunately for us, we received most of what we registered for as gifts so at least we weren't out of pocket. Things that work great for us so far:

Boppy
Baby Bjorn - DH is a convert now!
Bouncy Seat - It does have the extra stuff and DS loves it now
FP Playdome - Great for day naps downstairs and for quick trips to the park
Nuk Pacifiers - Clear nipple kind not the brown rubber ones!
Advent Pump-n-go
Advent Microwave Sterilizer - Ready after 4 minutes, great for when you need something quick and don't have time to wait for the dishwasher cycle. Great for pacifiers too.
Having DH/Mother help out the first week I came home

Things that we should have re-thought:
Swing - The swing we have works great as a swing but we would have chosen a simply one without the extra bells and whistle.
PP Infant Seat - DS is a big baby and is going to out grow it very soon.

Things that I wish someone would have told me:
Plan on spending an extra 30 minutes getting ready to leave out the door when you go out
By the Sleeping books BEFORE you have the baby. I'm too tired to read them now!

stillplayswithbarbies
07-23-2003, 08:57 PM
Total waste of money:

- moses basket. Loved the idea and the way it looked, but in reality it is too narrow for a baby to lay in without touch the sides with their arms. She hated it.

- Healthy Back Backpack Diaper bag. I got in a frenzy of buying every diaper bag that people raved about here, especially if they were on sale or a great deal. I hated this one more than most.

- My Brest Friend breastfeeding pillow. It felt like a hard shelf sticking out of me and not at all cuddly. I much prefer the Boppy.

- Dreft or other baby detergent. I should have just used a "free and clear" detergent that I use for our clothes right from the start.

Things I wish I new:

Newborns don't usually fit in size 3-6 month clothes and to get a newborn or even preemie size for the first two weeks or so. And not to get too many tiny clothes because they bulk up quick and then you have to shop again.

I can't think of anything else right now, I learned so much reading these boards while I was pregnant. But in a way that was a bad thing since I was tempted to buy every cool piece of baby gear that I saw here. :) So I guess I will say not to get in a frenzy and think you have to have everything, there is time to figure out later what you really need.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

em_jon98
07-23-2003, 09:37 PM
We LOVED ours...it kept our very curious two dogs away from DD while she was tiny. She seemed very content in it; we proped up a mirrored toy in the side and she would turn her head and babble to herself for a number of minutes (long enough for mommy to get a potty break :)!). Plus, since she was a summer baby, we used to take it out side and set it on top of our patio table so she was protected from the bugs and we could enjoy dinner, lunch, reading, ect., outside.

em_jon98
07-23-2003, 10:03 PM
Things we love/loved:
Vibrating bouncy seat
FP Playdome
Boppy
Teething beads
Sleepers with fuzzy insides
Onesizes
Gymini
Folding portable "highchair" (straps onto regular chair)

Things that were a waste:
Diaper Genie (it does contain the smell, but we usually ended up tossing them into the nearest garbage can becase we hated to empty the darn thing). Get a trash can with a flip top lid and some odor control trash bags and empty every 1-2 days.
Gowns
Drool Bibs
Baby washcloths for baths (we use them for wipes now)
Bottle warmer (thermal cup full of hot water, $2 vs. $40)
Bjorn-type carrier (DD HATED it)
Extra base for infant carseat

If you are using disposables, don't buy a lot of diapers to start. Buy ONE SMALL pack of each brand of size 1. The hospital will usually give you whatever is left from the pack of newborn sized they opened for you. You have no idea how fast your baby will grow and some babies don't go through diapers the way others do. Plus, you will be GLAD to have an excuse to get out of the house.

ITA, Breastfeeding is very hard. Get a good LC lined up (the ones at my hospital were great, but staffed very thin) and don't let a nurse talk you into nipple shields (my friend had to use these for three months b/c it takes time to wean off of them once you are on them). Go to a prenatal class and a LLL meeting, and read a few books.

RELAX, talk to your baby a lot, and try to let everything else fall to the wayside the first few weeks home. We did not allow visitors at the hospital or for the first two weeks we were home. DH took vacation and we got time to be a family and be together. Take lots of pictures and keep a journal so you remember every moment (how could you forget :)...!)

memedee
07-23-2003, 10:04 PM
STUFF NOT THAT GREAT
tv monitor{returned}
sleep positioner
stuffed animals{too many received as gifts]
baby bjorn{have yet to use]
tiny love mobile{not that interested in}
eurotub{take too long to fill}
bottle warmer{never used}
wipes warmer

GREAT STUFF
bouncy chair {have two}
fp cradle swing
infant carrier and kolkraft
Bertini stroller
gymini playmat
boppy
two changing tables
triple paste cream
fp monitor
two piece outfits
lots of bibs
burp cloths
cup holder for stroller
nursettes
liked the bassinet but did not use it much
lots of lightweight blankets
ultimate crib sheet
board books
sounds cd
baby einstein

cvharris
07-23-2003, 11:00 PM
He's only 5 1/2 weeks old but here are the things I absolutely can't live without...

My Brest Friend pillow
PIS breast pump
Nursing bras - love the Medela sleep ones
Lansinoh
Newborn gowns
Carter's flannel receiving blankets
Burp cloths - I use the flannel Gerber diaper ones
Washcloths - we use a ton of these
Lamaze first mirror
Mirror in car so I can see DS rear facing
My glider - a godsend
My combo changing area - DS associates it with pooping and will poop when I lay him on it! :)
my P3 stroller

I WISH I had...

the sleep books - and read them already
arm's reach co-sleeper
a good baby-wearing sling/pouch (it's on the way!)

Waste of money...
bassinet - the co-sleeper would have been better, ds likes to be next to us
snuggle nest - he wiggles out of it completely in an hour!
boppy - this was so useless
our expensive infant car seat - we should have gotten a cheap one since it won't last long and it's so heavy to carry!
extra infant car seat base
movement monitor - ds never sleeps in his crib
baby bjorn - ds hates it
pacifiers - ds won't take them

Jenmv
07-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Wastes of Money

Gymini playmat(DD HATES anything that dangles over her face, she would literally be screaming within minutes. A plain blanket on the floor worked much better)
Mobiles
Baby Bjorn or various sling products(DD hated them all, she would constantly try to squirm out of them)
Water filled teething toys
Sleep Sacks
Long sleeve footed sleepers for summer(we keep the AC at 72 and she is too hot to sleep in anything other than a onesie)
Bath toys that indicate the proper water temp for bathing
Various Pacifiers

Things I didn't buy and havn't missed

Sterilizer
Bottle warmer
Wipe warmer
Ultimate crib sheet
Swing
Dreft

Things we couldn't have lived with out

Bouncy chair
Boppy pillow
Exersaucer
Lansinoh
Cheap receiving blankets for countless tasks
Zout

Things I wish I would have known

As so many others have said, breastfeeding is hard and don't freak out if your baby is not nursing as often as the books say in the first few days. When I look back on it I realize that the nurses and lactation consultants had me completely stressed out over her early eating habits. Just because they are not that interested in nursing in the hospital does not mean that your efforts to bf are doomed. I shed many tears and lost a lot of sleep over her not eating well in the hospital. In retrospect it didn't really matter. She never was dehydrated and eventually developed an appetite on her own time.

AngelaS
07-24-2003, 06:48 AM
Things we found unneccessary:

baby bathtub
sling
shopping cart cover
gymini
expensive stroller
crib mobile (cribs are for sleep, not play, IMO!)
boppy
big fancy diaper bag

Things we LOVED:

basic FP vibrating bouncy
Baby Bjorn
Graco stroller
infant carseat cover
cloth diapers

I learned with baby #2 that less is more. I had SO many things with dd number one that I thought were must haves and they never got used. Live and learn.....

sugarsnappea
07-24-2003, 07:57 AM
Must Haves-
boppy (after a c-sect, this was wonderful)
Nalgene water bottles (for me during BF)
Nojo cover for carseat
Exersaucer (sorry Alan and Denise)
Crib Tent (this is a recent thing)
The Comfy Strap
Bailey breast pump and Medela mini-electric
Costco package of AA batteries
Colored Links

Total Waste of Money-
cheap breast pumps (OUCH!)
bathtub
drool bibs
breast pads (i was very lucky)
neck boppy
shoes for non-walkers
Changing table
baby comforters
:)

Calmegja
07-24-2003, 08:44 AM
Yes, but the important question here is, are you from the Midwest?

;-)

amp
07-24-2003, 01:33 PM
Jake's not very old yet, but here's what we've found...

THINGS WE DON'T HAVE AND DON'T MISS...
wipes warmer
bottle sterilizer
bottle warmer
Ultimate crib sheet
crib mobile
sleep sacks
matching bedding sets
crib bumpers
boppy

THINGS WE COULD HAVE DONE WITHOUT..
bassinet (DS woke himself up and cried everytime he got out of his swaddle and flung his arms into the sides)
bouncy seat (hoping he will still take to this at some point)
newborn diapers when we came home from the hospital (he never wore them!)
so many newborn sized clothes
baby bathtub
baby bath robe (cute but not terribly useful in covering him up after bath)

THINGS WE LOVE...
Pack N Play
onesies
one piece outfits
gowns (made middle of the night diaper changes so much easier in the early days)
cloth diapers (not as diapers, but for spitup and messes)
baby washcloths & drool bibs (used these with every feeding until recently, but are now using more cloth dipes - he's bigger and so are his spit ups! )
lightweight blankets
Snugride infant carseat (We won't be able to use for long, but I love being able to pop him into his stroller or a cart in this without waking him)
THINGS PEOPLE TOLD ME AND THAT I WOULD TELL OTHERS...
Breastfeeding is @#$% hard!!!
You are still a good mom if you just can't master breastfeeding and have to formula feed (I cried about this so many times)
Enjoy your pregnancy...it is a magical time!
How fiercely you will love your child! He takes my breath away and I still cry when I think about how much I love him (still hormones after 8 wks? )

I WISH I HAD KNOWN...that having nothing go the way I planned, including needing a C-section, going to a different hospital than planned, and so much difficulty breastfeeding, everythinhg would still turn out just fine in the end.

kohlbacher
07-24-2003, 03:25 PM
Not using:
*Pack 'n Play with bassinet (Tried it but ended up co-sleeping)
*Snugglie (Luckily bought 2nd hand - baby hates it)
*Newborn diapers (Saved reciepts and returned them)
*Side snap t-shirts (DH pinched baby once and got scared to use them!)
*Socks (Feet are huge - currently size 6-12month socks too small though baby is only 10 weeks old!)
*Bibs
*Ultimate crib sheets (co-sleeping currently, but when baby plays in crib on them, he gets too sweaty)

Love:
*Kick and Play bouncey seat
*Symphony in motion mobile
*Cloth diapers used as spit rags, or instead of bibs
*Nipple shields (I know, I know, people say these can interfere with breastfeeding. But, breastfeeding wasn't working and these kept me doing it. I do suggest to only use them as a last resort - which is what I did. Now, I don't have to use them much anymore!)
*Sling (Though baby only tolerates it, it was a savior initially, I had a c-section so I couldn't carry my 10 and a half pound newborn in a car carrier. The sling helped a lot.
*Brest Friend breastfeeding pillow (I'm using it right now as I type! It's great to use at the computer!!!!)

Advice:
Buy 2nd hand clothing. We bought almost all 2nd hand clothing. I'm so glad we did! Ethan wore 0-3 month for 2 weeks only! He outgrew all of his 3-6 months by 6 weeks! Now, he's wearing 6-12 month mainly, but has to wear even larger in several brands of onsies!

justlearning
07-24-2003, 04:03 PM
We have a lot in common...my son is also Ethan, almost the same age as your baby, and a big baby too (10lbs 13oz at birth)! I'm trying to decide which sling to get--maybe you can help me. What sling do you use and how do you use it with your son? That is, what position does he currently ride in now? I'm afraid that DS won't like riding in the kangaroo position but isn't old enough to ride on the hip. As I wrote in another post, my challenge is that DS is the weight and length of an older baby (16lbs, 251/2" now) but is only 2 months developmentally, so he isn't able to sit or keep his head up for long periods, etc. Because you likely have this same challenge, I'd appreciate hearing how you about how you use your sling, especially if you love it.

Sharon
07-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Okay my list is long but I disagree with some of you so I wanted to register my votes for

Loved

Swing - Graco wind up. DS slept in it for 2 mos and at 4 mos practices sitting up to reach those stupid toys on the tray. He can spend a good half hour flipping that mirror thing.
Bouncer - only good w/o arch for first 2 mos cuz overstimulating. Now DS loves all the lights and activities
Gymini - best gift ever. He lies on there and talks to his "friends". Only started liking it at 2 mos. Before he got freaked out by anything in his face
Infant carseat - DS slept in his at night for 3 mos. I also could do errands during the day and he stayed napping. Also he was protected when he was so fragile and I had to take him in and out of car. His goes up to 29 inches though so it has a while to go
Fascination Station by Sassy - It's cheap . . . and fascinating
Baby Bjorn - only way I could go shopping. only way to put DS to sleep at night in a pinch
Small spray bottle and Cotton squares Disposable, cheap and hypoallergenic alternative to wipes.
Glider/recliner - relaxing place to nurse. Helps relax baby with movement
bunting - great for transition months when too hot for snowsuit.
links by Kids II - interesting textures
baby nurse! - showed me the ropes and allowed me to recover the first week. Expensive but the best $1000 I ever spent. Walked me through my first crises.
crib sized crib sheet saver- for my bed. Prevents ruining the mattress and having to change my sheets in the middle of the night when DS projectiles all over me.
Cloth Diapers for burp cloths
PIS
Avent Isis Pump - when engorged can't be beat
0-3 mo clothing - Clothes that are too big get all tangled
Desitin Original - stains but works great.
Zout
Creeper outfits for summer
Dr. Seuss
Johnsons - the smell can't be beat
Dr. Browns
Little Tummies
white noise
flannel recieving blankets

Total Wastes

Boppy
Kolcraft - just get a P3 or Zippy
newborn size diapers
Huggies
Gowns
Gerber anything
Bassinett
Pack N' Play unless traveling.
baby bath robe
lap pads
Avent bottles
Mylicon (get Little Tummies instead)

peanut4us
07-24-2003, 05:12 PM
Side snap onsies
Gowns
Booties(we got a million of them for my shower... and they were all small enough to get over looked for returns
Drool bibs
Slings (have been told will like this more when DD is a bit older)
Mobile
Waffle weave thin diapers to be used as burp cloths (even though it's just for spit up, I need the thick middle padding ones)
Hats that match her outfits (got a million with shower gifts... not one actually fits her head while the outfit still fits her body)
Gerber anything
Infant wash cloths

Never bought
Wipes warmer
Bottle warmer/sterilizer
Video monitor
Crib set (made my own)

Loved
Bouncy seat
Swing (just a simple battery operated no frills version)
Boppy
Legal sized filing cabinet ($2 at Goodwill, made a great table top in my bedroom for my pumping station; also kept midnight healthy snacks in it)
Gymini
Crib mirror by Sassy
Thermal knit blankets
Tiny Love gymini toys hooked to DD's car seat
Exercauser
Stuffed bunny (she likes to hug it and eat it's face, paws, tail, whatever she can get in her mouth)
Fabric teething book
Circo onesies her first month
The baby bargains book
These boards

Wish I would have known
To take a Bfing class before and that it would hurt worse than delivering (just cause it lasts longer ;-) )
To take the LCs with a grain of salt on what will "ruin" BFing forever
That I would get great advice from people like you.

flagger
07-24-2003, 05:41 PM
Waste of time/money

Newborn caps/hats - Maybe if a winter baby and she wasn't bald
Bottle Warmer - She takes it right out of the fridge
Eurobath - Easier just to bathe with us in the tub
FP Take Along Swing - She hates it
LLL Meeting - Went to a meeting led by a militant leader who was NOT a LC nor medically qualified to be giving advice. Made women who chose or could not BF feel like total failures.

Could Not live without

Bjorn
PNP
Crib Mobile
FP Aquarium Swing AKA "The Neglectomatic"
Bouncy Seat
Disposable Diapers
Burb Cloths
Ultimate Crib Sheets

em_jon98
07-24-2003, 09:07 PM
YES!!! I'm a Chicago 'burb mommy :), originally from Ohio.

nathansmom
07-24-2003, 09:39 PM
Waste of money-
Crib- Nathan has been sleeping with us. I'm not sure when he'll make it into the crib.
Bottle warmer- Nathan drinks the formula however it is given to him.

Things dh thought we could live without but ran out to purchase the day after Nathan came home-
Diaper Pail
Swing
Bouncer

Things I loved-
Boppy- used to hold Nathan as I had a csection
Dr. Browns bottles
Excersaucer
mobile- used when mom needs a 5 minute break
Cloth diapers
euro tub
Zooper stroller- wish I had bought this sooner
mothers support group
Tammy (etwahl)
this board
Celeste (celfsh)
That dh stayed home with me for 3 months. I can't wait for summer to end so he's home again.

I wish someone had told me-
to fight for the right to breastfeed. The NICU nurses told me I couldn't because they had to measure everything Nathan ate.
Not to compare your child with other children or the baby books.

sntm
07-25-2003, 03:05 PM
at 7 weeks:

wastes of money:
newborn hats -- the knit caps are too warm and the sun hats won't stay on his head when he wiggles

combi bouncy chair (so far, at least, maybe he'll hate it less when he is older?)

any pants outfit without snaps up and down the leg

cloth diapers (sorry! we just could not get the hang of it and Jack disliked them intensely)

stuffed animals -- too many of them already

breast shells - at least postnatally. They may have helped a little bit with the flat nipples, but I leaked all over the place with them and the advice to put them in 30 minutes before a feed doesn't work if you are demand feeding, especially if you are trying to "nap when the baby naps."

cradle - love how it looks, love having it in the bedroom with us, but it is too low to the ground, especially with purchase of a new mattress for our bed (what is with mattresses these days?)

loved:
boppy -- still the easiest way to breastfeed

dr. brown's bottles - not that much harder to clean at all

lansinoh lanolin - essential, wish i had a couple of tubes to lay around the house

Nuk's pacifiers - though I hate using them, Jack adores them and it saves my breasts from when he doesn't want to suck but just gum at them for awhile

Medela PIS - could barely tell a difference with the hospital grade pump

Nutri-grain bars - and anything else that requires only opening and eating with one hand (sadly, this included Little Debbie oatmeal cream pies)

Baby Bjorn - though so far only good for when he needs a nap but is not amenable to being put down.

bugaboo - especially the bug netting! I need some myself

nipple shields - again, I know a lot of people are opposed to them, but they helped my flat nipples come out, got Jack into the breastfeeding habit again, kept him off my cracks when they were at there worst, and did not diminish my supply, maybe even augmented it. We used them consistently for 1 1/2 weeks, then intermittently for another week. I don't think we would still be breastfeeding now if not for them.

things I wish I had known:
Breastfeeding is extremely hard and painful and noone really talks about how difficult it is. Read all the books you want -- you still won't be prepared. Have a LC lined up, and be prepared to go to many of them. Have someone look at your breasts ahead of time (I somehow never realized I have flat nipples.)

When newborns are awake, do not expect to get anything else done. Does anyone have a baby that will lie contently on a blanket or in a bouncy chair without you right there?

Have a backup child care plan. Our original daycare, contacted when I was 2 months pregnant, may have room for us in the fall.

Having your mother come both helps and hurts.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

justlearning
07-25-2003, 10:37 PM
What a fun thread to read! Fortunately, thanks to these boards and reading reviews on other sites, we have been very happy with all of our baby purchases so I don't consider any to have been wastes of money. Some have been worth the money more than others, though, so here are my lists...

Wastes of Money:

-- Other people giving clothes as gifts...DS was huge at birth and has grown very quickly so all of the clothes that were predicted to fit him during a particular season won't be usable and he was only able to wear some outfits once before outgrowing them.

-- Lamaze crib panels/book: DS has never been interested in it

Items that have been useful but not worth their pricetag:

-- Gymini: DS has only recently started liking it. I'm glad he has it but not sure it was worth $50.

-- Isis breast pump: good when needing to express when I've missed a couple of feedings but it takes too long to get a small amount of milk out

Items that have been worth more than their pricetag:

**** FP Ocean Wonders Aquarium Swing: DS would love to be in this all day, everyday if I let him! (I don't.)

** FP kick 'n play bouncer: the way I get a shower everyday

** BestFriend inflatable pillow: much cheaper than the foam, works well, and was easy to take to the hospital and on trips

** Blue Jean Teddy crib set: It only cost $40 and DS loves looking at and talking to the characters on the crib bumper--he falls asleep doing this and gets back to sleep on his own the same way.

** Lap pads--they have prevented swings, bouncy seats, etc. from soiling during nasty blowouts.

** Baby monitor--we always have it on and it's clear enough that we can hear downstairs every sound he makes

What I wish someone had told me before DS was born:

--Like others, I agree regarding how difficult BF is and the importance of getting help from a lactation consultant.

-- that in the beginning (mainly due to sleep deprivation), you may wonder if you made a mistake getting a pregnant because life was so much easier before

--that after a few weeks, things get a lot easier

--that after a few more weeks, you'll be wishing that your baby would stop growing up so quickly because he/she is so much cute and fun :)

suz
07-26-2003, 01:01 AM
Here's my list:

Things I loved:
-Ultimate crib sheets (many accidents have occurred on these sheets and still holding up)
-Brestfriend pillow
-PIS original and traveler
-Bouncer
-Munchkin nipples (Munchkin no longer makes these, had to get them from a bf consultant)
-Dutalier glider
-Medela Foot Stool
-Pack n play with basinette & changing table
-Sport Zooper Stroller
-Elita Bras (super comfy and easy for nursing)
-Symphony in motion mobile
-Lansinoh nipple cream
-Lansinoh breast pads
-baby bargain book and what to expect to when you're expecting

Waste of money:
-Video Monitor (reception so poor, had to return it)
-Receiving Blankets (too many)
-Hooded towels
-Sleep positioners
-Hi-lo combo dresser/changing table.
-Bumper
-Eddie Bauer diaper bag (not ergonomic to carry)
-footed sleepers , pants, and dresses
-Newborn Socks and shoes?????
-Medela lace nursing bras (what was I thinking...so damn itchy)
-Halo Sleep sacks

Things I wished someone had told me:
-Let your baby nap
-Breastfeeding is not easy
-Bonding doesn't come immediately
-Read Happiest Baby on the Block and no-cry sleep solutions before giving birth.

Susan
mom to Vicky (4.11.03)

millerpjm
07-26-2003, 06:05 AM
Things I could have done without:

crib bedding set (really just needed sheets and skirt)
boppy
infant bunting (had a bundle me that was soo much nicer)
10 knit hats (they were all too big at first and then he didn't need them anymore - only 1 fit and it got used)
booties (they never stayed on)
swing (I was so worried about overusing it I never used it)
lap pads

Things I couldn't live without:

Bottle warmer
Infant carseat (we still use it as a carrier at restaurants)
Cloth Diapers as burp rags
FP monitor with 2 receivers (I can walk all the way through the house and hear him due to the strategic placement of the parent units)
Generic Mylicon

Things I wish I had been told:

Not to give up breastfeeding and give formula at 2 am on the 3rd/4th day... stick it out and go to the LC ASAP.

Read all the baby care books/sleep books/bf books ahead of time instead of the pregnancy books (I'm still trying to find time to read the Weissbluth book).

Have a *few* 0-3 or newborn size outfits on hand. I had a 6 pound 8 ounce peanut that drowned in his clothes for 4 weeks.

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03

Calmegja
07-26-2003, 08:42 AM
That proves it, then.

They are a Midwest phenomenon!

;-)

natividad
07-26-2003, 10:43 PM
Great thread KathyO. For us so far...

Total Waste of Money Items:
Kolcraft Lil' Sleeper bassinet - DS never, ever liked it.
Hugster nursing pillow
Hooded bath towel sets
Infantino Crib Mobile

Lifesaving Must-Have Items:
My Combi Ultra Savvy - GREAT investment! No other full size stroller is lighter than the US!!!
FP Kick and Play bouncer - two words: God send! By taking the Kick and Play into the bathroom with me, it was the only way I was able to shower during those first months.
Baby Einstein video - a life saver now that DS actually watches it.
Side snap t-shirts - these worked so well for us that even at 5 months we are still using them.

Not quite lifesaving items, but nice to have:
Over the Shoulder Baby Holder
Baby Bjorn
Bathtub

Naty

KimberleyDawn
07-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Things we couldn't live without:
This website!!!
Vibrating boucy chair
PNP with full bassinet & change table
Boppy
FP Ocean Wonder for crib
Pampers & Pampers wipes with aloe
One piece outfits
TONS of drool bibs!!!!!
Flannel diapers used as burp cloths
Newborn knitted hats & mitts (Feb. baby) for cool house
Ovol drops (Mylicon (sp) drops in US)
J&J Head-To-Toe cloths
Aveeno diaper rash prevention and treatment cream
Diaper Geni
Travel system stroller
Evenflo Ultra Saucer

Waste of money (thank goodness this list is short):
Snugli
Buying a whole bottle system before baby was born (buy only 1 or 2 each of a few brands)
Bottle warmer
Gymini
Too many baby info books (choose 1 and stick with it or too confusing)
Baby book (2nd child syndrome I guess)

That's all I can think of for now.
Kim

StaceyKim
07-26-2003, 11:50 PM
Waste of Money:
Symphony Mobile (DS was bored from it)
Side snap tee shirts (barely wore these)
Too many diapers in one size (ds never fit into the infant diapers)

Worth EVERY Penny:
Night Nurse for the first 6 weeks!
FP Bouncy seat (I have 2)
FP Ocean Wonders Swing
TL Gymini Play Mat
Lamaze Crib mirror
Ultimate Crib Sheets (3)
Waterproof pads for everywhere
Boppy
Dreft stain remover REALLY gets formula stains out