PDA

View Full Version : Best book for summer reading?

daisymommy
07-25-2003, 10:12 AM
What has been the best book you've read this summer? I usually have 1 or 2 favorites, but have only gone through magazines this year, as I can't seem to find any really good books! Please, nothing depressing (ala Oprah's bookclub..sorry Oprah!) ;) I love books that transport me to another place and make me forget about cheerios all over the floor and whinning babies :)

stillplayswithbarbies
07-25-2003, 10:34 AM
I just read the new Harry Potter book.

And I am a fan of Janet Evanovich. Her book Hard Eight just came out in paperback. (it's the 8th of a series, so you would want to start with the first one). It's a hilarious mystery type of book set in New Jersey. The main character is a bounty hunter, but not a very good one, yet she always seems to get her man. In more ways than one!

That's been it for fiction for me, everything else I am reading is baby related. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

lukkykatt
07-25-2003, 10:40 AM
I just finished "Big Stone Gap" by Adriana Trigiani, and that was quite good, and light reading. It is the first in a series, so I am going to look for her other books. It is about an Italian woman who grows up in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and is viewed as an outsider because of her heritage, and the fact that she is "independent".

I'm going to start "Seabiscuit", but haven't gotten past page 2 (not because it is boring -something seems to keep coming up). Am looking forward to getting to page 3!

ctsiouts
07-25-2003, 10:43 AM
I am also a fan of the Harry Potter series. I had purchased the cassettes for book 5 because I thought it would be easier to listen than to read, but then my mom donated her copy of the book to me and I'm having more fun reading. Although it's taking me forever to finish!

Christy

alleyoop
07-25-2003, 10:45 AM
On suggestion from Oprah (I know...guilty pleasure) I am reading 'East of Eden' and it is really good so far! I don't know why I am always surprised when a "classic" is a page-turner. That is why they are classics, Heather!!

stillplayswithbarbies
07-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Big Stone Gap is great, and so is the sequel. I loved Seabiscuit too, and hope to go see the movie this weekend.

Hubby says we are going on a date! I wonder if he meant without the baby?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

amp
07-25-2003, 11:29 AM
My favorite so far this summer is "Diary of a Mad Mom-To-Be" by Laura Wolf. It's in trade size paperback. I read her "Diary of a Mad Bride" when I was getting married and found it hysterical. Now the same character in the book is going through pregnancy. Timely for me and made me laugh so much! Also really enjoyed "The Devil Wears Prada" by Lauren Weisberger. It's in hardcover, but I enjoyed it and was glad I bought it.

MartiesMom2B
07-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Harry Potter was great.

I also enjoyed reading Shopoholic Gets Married, I read the rest of series and they are really funny. I've also read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain and am currently reading A Cook's Tour.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

blnony
07-25-2003, 11:38 AM
I have to second the Janet Evanovich recommendation. I love her books. I just finished "To the Nines" her newest one. Her books are funny, a little mystery and some romance all in one.
Also, I like Kate White's two books.

amp
07-25-2003, 11:38 AM
I love the Shopaholic books too!

nathansmom
07-25-2003, 11:45 AM
I love to read so I can give you lots of suggestions.
The Big Stone Gap series is great. Mentioned by another poster.
The Diary of a Mad Bride and the followup Mad Mother to be is great.
The Shopaholic series is funny.
Good in Bed by Jennifer Warner(?, not sure if its the right author) and her new book.
The Family nobody wanted by Helen Doss (hard to find, email me and I'll loan it to you)
Watermelon by Marion Keyes (part of a series)

I could go on and on. PM or email me and I'll get you a list.

mamahill
07-25-2003, 12:15 PM
Hehe, if she wants 'The Family Nobody Wanted,' I'll have to send it to her since I have your copy right now :).

And Norah is right - she is the Queen when it comes to reading. Thanks to her, I have a list of books that will keep me occupied for the rest of Ainsleigh's childhood. THANKS!!

Ooh, my recommendation? "Follow the River" - it's based on a true story. It is an amazing book. Here it is on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345338545/qid=1059152440/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-8175850-8088666?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

stillplayswithbarbies
07-25-2003, 01:23 PM
I second the recommendation for "Follow The River", it is a wonderful book, but it might be a little disturbing to new mommies. I don't want to give away the story, but it made me cry even when my only "baby" was 10 years old. I think it would have really bothered me when I was in the throes of post partum hormones. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

trumansmom
07-25-2003, 01:56 PM
I'm a huge reader as well! I agree with the Janet Evanovich and Harry Potter reccomendations - they were both great!

Also, have you read "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency?" It's very short and sooo much fun. It takes place in Botswana, and was a wonderful escape. I just read the second one by that author (I'm blocking on the title!) and will be picking up the third over the weekend. And even though Oprah didn't recommend it, the Today Show did!

And if you like suspense, "The Da Vinci Code" was pretty good, too.

Good luck! I'm adding to my list from everyone else's posts!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

amp
07-25-2003, 02:32 PM
I absolutely LOVE all of the Marian Keyes books!

nathansmom
07-25-2003, 02:42 PM
Sarah-
I actually have another copy of The Family Nobody Wanted but I try not to lend that one out. It's one that was in the original printing batch and autographed. Right now it is sitting in the safety deposit box at the bank.

momathome
07-25-2003, 03:05 PM
Ooh, I love the Shopaholic and Diary of a Mad Bride and Mad Mom-to-be series - very fun, very light books. I also love Anne Lamott's book "Operating Instructions". It chronicles her son's first year of life and is extremely funny, interesting, and well-written.
-Lauren

sntm
07-25-2003, 04:02 PM
LOved No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

C99
07-25-2003, 04:13 PM
Books are one of my guilty pleasures.

I'm a huge fan of "chick lit": books that are written in that confessional/first-person narrative style (think Bridget Jones' diary) and are fairly light in nature. I'll second and third the recommendations for Diary of a Mad Bride and Diary of a Mad Mom-to-Be by Laura Wolf and Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, and Shopaholic Gets Married by Sophie Kinsella. Also, Bookends, Jemima J, and Mr. Maybe by Jane Green, Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Fields by Melissa Nathan, Slave to Fashion by Rebecca Campbell, and The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc by Loraine Despres.

Oh, and of course, the new Harry Potter is good.

For heavier, make-you-think fiction, I'd recommend Tracy Chevalier's The Virgin Blue and Girl with a Pearl Earring (but I didn't like her Fallen Angels), and anything by Barbara Kingsolver or Margaret Atwood.

I've also been reading some non-fiction lately: The Idiot-Girls Action-Adventure Club, a book of columns by Phoenix's Laurie Notaro. I suppose it's along the lines of Candace Bushnell's Sex in the City book, but the columns are more about drinking and other stupid things you do in your 20s. I actually woke Nate up last night reading one of them aloud to my husband because we were laughing so hard. Not as funny, but definitely touching if you are a "reader" is Anne Fadiman's Ex Libris. Between gifts and losing my original copy, I think I've bought that book about 5 times.

mamahill
07-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Oh true - I cried the first time I read it and I was only 17! But I certainly remembered it as I was in my nice hospital room with wonderful attendants and a host of family members, and was thankful I live in this day and age. But I agree - it is not for the faint of heart (or pp hormones!)

jd11365
07-26-2003, 08:46 AM
You will LOVE, LOVE, LOVE "Good In Bed" by Jennifer Weiner...it's not what you think, but is the funniest book I've read...takes place in modern times...you can totally relate to this girl at some point...it's really fabulous!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743418174/qid=1059226297/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-3910329-3867313?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

It's only $9.10 on Summer Clearance from Amazon too!

ddmarsh
07-26-2003, 12:40 PM
I just finished Jennifer Weiner's second book "In Her Shoes" (sorry I have no idea how to underline). I would say that it is very good, although it gets off to a bit of a slow start.

I just read the other day that "Good in Bed" has been optioned by HBO and is going to be a series!

Debbie
Mommy to 3DS's, 1 DD

JustMare
07-27-2003, 01:43 PM
I love the Shopaholic Books too!

Devil Wears Prada was a quick funny read.

I really enjoyed Amanda Bright @ Home. It's about a stay at home mom with two kids living outside of DC.

Right now I'm reading The Good Sister and have Babyville to read next.

I also liked Operating Instuctions and the Zygote Chronicals.

colleenfs
07-27-2003, 02:50 PM
If you missed it, you must read "Nanny Diaries." "I Don't Know How She Does It" by Allison Pearson is good too, in a similar vein.

I'm now reading a wonderful book called "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory. It's about Anne Boleyn's sister Mary, who was Henry VIII's mistress before he married Anne. This one is fiction.
My next book is "Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII" by David Starkey. This one is non-fic. (BTW - PBS is doing a fabulous new series on the wives now.)

I should note that I majored in Medieval/Renaissance Studies, and I am a huge med-ren geek!! I am fascinated by Henry's wives and his daughter Elizabeth I.

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

heva
07-27-2003, 05:30 PM
Hands down "The Da Vinci Code" - what a page turner! Great mystery with art history, religion, feminism...loved it.

ameelo
07-27-2003, 05:58 PM
The two best books I've read in my bookclub are Watership Down and the Da Vinci Code.

I also like the Wally Lamb book, She's Come Undone but it is a sad but uplifting Oprah book.

Does anyone like Fantasy? There is a great book by Tepper called Grass.

And anything by Julie Garwood or Kathleen Woodweiss. LOL.

colleenfs
07-28-2003, 07:36 AM
OMG - I used to read Julie Garwood bodice rippers in college. Does she have any new books?!

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

kransden
07-28-2003, 10:03 AM
These are funny, light-hearted books that are in short sections. [http://www.sweetpotatoqueens.com/spq/meet_the_queens/]

Bring out your inner Queen!

Karin
Katie 10/24/02

jubilee
07-28-2003, 10:06 PM
I also just read the Harry Potter series. It's not just for kids. The writing is very good, I couldn't put it down.