PDA

View Full Version : Should we start an organizational support group :)

mama2be
07-25-2003, 11:07 AM
Edited because I can't type with Tristan in arms...and who would have known that said "organizational"

I was thinking "tomorrow"...always putting it off :)...

We can say "master bedroom closet day"...and we tackle that as a group for those who want to do such a thing...what do you think???

I would like to wait till Monday if anyone is game :)...and then we can read tips and "jsut do it"...

We can schedule a pace that would help...save a week-end for DH's to do the garage :)...

MelissaTC
07-25-2003, 01:58 PM
I think I need this! I have tried to FLY but wound up breaking down and getting cleaning people. The house is already starting to get cluttered and they were here not 2 days ago! I'm game Neve....

KMommie
07-25-2003, 05:55 PM
Neve,
What a good idea. I could use the support! I'm terrible at organizing, and DH is starting to complain since the house just keeps getting more and more cluttered with STUFF. Pacing would be good, I'm always putting off for "tomorrow" :) This will keep me honest.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

houseof3boys
07-25-2003, 06:20 PM
I'm in! Now will I really do it is the question....

mama2be
07-25-2003, 06:47 PM
What should we tackle...in order...
and at what pace...
somehting every day...soemthing every week (we'll drop out at that rate)
what do you all think...

I have a dust pan in the garage that is painted with the saying
"I clean this place once a year if it needs it or not" :)...

My problem spots
master bed room, drawers thru out the house, closets (because at one time I was a clothes horse and shoe horse now I am lucky to get out of t-shirt and undies...and of course a filing system of sorts which I want to procrastinate and do last :)...

daisymommy
07-25-2003, 06:49 PM
HIP-HIP-HOORAY! LETS DO IT!

Andrea S
07-25-2003, 07:40 PM
I am game, but I am leaving for NC on Wednesday so I may have to catch up.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

himom
07-25-2003, 08:00 PM
I'm in! I think we might be able to manage with one medium project a week. Perhaps we could just do just enough everyday for an episode of Sesame Street or one run through of baby Mozart? :)

Or maybe really small projects daily? Day 1, top drawer of your dresser; day 2, middle drawer, etc.

I'll go with the majority on this one, since I'm just happy to have a more interesting way to clean my house!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

lukkykatt
07-25-2003, 08:04 PM
I'm in. But I need Organization 101. I have a 13 month old trashing my house on a daily basis. My list is like: put tampons back in box (a favorite toy), put all of the books back on the bookcase, put videos back in the entertainment center...

Who knows what I would do if I didn't have a cleaning service!

Maybe we could set up daily, weekly, monthly items?

ddmarsh
07-25-2003, 09:01 PM
You have no idea how much I need this :O. I have cleaning help but that does not help with organizing, sorting, and picking up on a daily basis. My worst area hands down is the masterbedroom - if you can imagine I'm actually embarassed for the cleaning lady to see it, LOL! I really love the idea of drawer by drawer, etc. - I need baby steps, baby steps!

Debbie
Mommy to 3 DS's, 1 DD

mharling
07-25-2003, 11:08 PM
I'm in too! This sounds great. I like the idea of a room or semi-big task a week and then breaking it into smaller chunks for each day.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

todzwife
07-25-2003, 11:20 PM
I am in too! Fortunately my our apartment isn't too bad because we have only been here for 3 weeks, but if I can keep it from getting bad...that will be one less thing to worry about when this little one comes along. Great Idea!!!
Shandelle

Calmegja
07-26-2003, 08:44 AM
I love the idea!

Is there a way we can apply group pressure to the DHs, though? ;-)

I haven't been able to park in my garage for 3 weeks now, due to his latest project (a redo of the deck). He even got sawdust on my strollers, and as you all know, that's grounds for serious punishment.

But my master closet could definitely use help. I need to get everything back down to one size again, and, dare I dream, colorcoded again. I miss that! And we're supposed to be looking at moving, and I can't bear the thought of trying to move as is....

mabuckles
07-26-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm in. I like the idea too of breaking up larger projects imto small chunks.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Okay I'm in too. I've been concentrating on the kitchen and have set a new rule that no dish is to go on the counter or in the sink, it gets washed or put in the dishwasher right away.

And I incorporated some things I learned in the organizational thread, like not started a load of laundry unless you have time to finish it.

But I need more help. I don't even want to think about the closets!

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

lukkykatt
07-26-2003, 01:16 PM
I've been thinking of ways that we could help one another. One thing I was thinking is that maybe from time to time we could 'fess up on projects that we have been putting off. Then set a collective timeframe to get them done.

Right now I have 2: put a year's worth of pictures in a photo albumn (or 2 or 3), and put all of my info in a PDA so I can start using it (an organizational catch 22!)

Then of course, there are all of my closets...

loewymartin
07-26-2003, 02:08 PM
I'm up for this...maybe a room a week? Say week 1 is master bedroom week, and we have closets (his and hers if applicable) her dresser, his dresser, nightstands (my big issue!) for each day. That way if someone doesn't have a need for that particular day they can drop out.

Maybe the master bedroom will be a two week project :-) I know I may have trouble doing it in one because I will only have the evenings free (post Alia in bed anyway). But, I think I would enjoy doing this if I know others are "helping" :-)

Let me know if I can help out! Otherwise, I'm game to start on whichever room is picked!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

bluej
07-26-2003, 02:25 PM
Count me in too! I'm almost excited about getting organized! Well that might be an overstatement. I'm more overwhelmed than anything! But being accountable (DH and kids don't count, they are use to the clutter) to someone might just be the motivation I need.

phirey
07-26-2003, 07:07 PM
I'm in! I like the one-room-a-week idea. Like the kithen week could have organize the pantry one night, clean the fridge another, wipe out cabinets another, etc. I try and try but can't get anything done until she's in bed at night (I seem to waste nap time online!).

Oh! And how about a babyproof week! I know I should do better as she gets better at crawling -- and in my house it's going to be a lot of work!

Thanks for the idea.

nigele
07-26-2003, 07:21 PM
Good idea - heaven knows my house needs it!!!

lizajane
07-26-2003, 07:27 PM
YES!

if only we could organize a swap now, of all the crap we clean out of those closets and drawers!!! different sizes for those who have gained/lost weight... work clothes for working moms, extra jeans for at home moms... baby toys, toddler toys...arts and crafts supplies, home office supplies...golly. the list is endless!!! we'd have to set up a place to post all the stuff.

i think neve should be the ring leader and suggest the project for the week (or whatever time period) and the first person to finish gets to assign the next project, and so on...

liza

KimberleyDawn
07-26-2003, 10:47 PM
YES! YES! YES!!
We moved at the beginning of July and still living out of boxes- HELP!!!
Are we going to be super specific about what is required to be done in each room before it is considered completed.
Kim
P.S.
I also think that Neve should be our Team Leader (if she wants):)).

mama2be
07-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Hee Hee...I love Liza's idea whoever finishes first chooses the next project. So with that said I better enjoy the title of Ring Leader for the week (or two) that we designate for Master Bedroom's because if that is the "rule" I'll never see that title again :)...

THE WEEK OF MONDAY JULY 28TH...
MASTER BEDROOMS-
here is an idea of some daily tasks, I don't want to assign those because we might have a differnt pace...:)

drawers

under the bed-think of ways to use the space or clean the space to our advantage. mine is filled with boxes of magazines. For some reason I feel like I'll have that multi million dollar pool with the rocks forming a 20 foot water fall in my back yard so can't get rid of that issue...and then one day I plan on having that multi million dollar vacation on that private island in fiji, you know the one where no one but you is on the island and you ahve 1,000 servants...so can't get rid of that issue. :):):)...

furniture: is it where you want it-picture frames...etc...

Master closet will take me atleast two days...YIKES!!!!

Master bath-yikes that is a novel in itself...:)
When we do mater bath lets leave a note for DH one morning for them before they go to work on their mirror...might as well increase our love lifes while we're at this :)...

That is something else I've thought would be fun...a group that motivates us to "keep love alive" :)...

nigele
07-27-2003, 10:34 AM
Oh, man. I want to join you but the thought of tacking ANYTHING right now is exhausting! I will do my best, though.

BTW - I am shopping for new bedroom furniture so this will be a great motivator to get that bedroom CLEAN and ORGANIZED!

JMarie
07-27-2003, 10:56 AM
Oh, you had to go and pick my WORST room in the house in a week where I'm only here for FOUR days! AND I'm working late three days! I make no promises that I will be done before I hop on that plane - especially since packing is involved (I always make a mess of my closet when I pack...). Wish me luck!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

KMommie
07-27-2003, 11:02 AM
Ohhh Boy! Master Bedroom, here I come! Okay, I'm game. :) Master closet may just take me a week, in itself. That place is one of my "black holes", along with the pantry! Never one to miss a sale with coupons, I've probably got enough canned goods for everyone.

I'm already trying to decide which day I'm going to "concentrate" on for my "under the bed" day, since that will be my freebie day. :) Our bed has a clearance of about 4", so only the cat and the dust mice play under there. I'll just take out the swiffer, and be done with it. :) Yikes, I'm already looking for a day "off". Uh oh... doesn't sound good. Good thing I have you guys to keep me honest and motivated!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

stillplayswithbarbies
07-27-2003, 11:11 AM
I got a headstart. Last night, I went through and tossed out all my pantyhose with runs in them, socks with holes or stretched out or faded, bras that will never fit again or are ratty looking, etc. I gained a whole drawer of space in my dresser!

And now I have to go buy new socks.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

lizajane
07-27-2003, 12:14 PM
well, lucky for me my master bedroom is TINY. and i don't even have a dresser! (which is why my closet it so messy!) but i am busted on the picture frames, etc. there are only 2 pieces of art on the walls in our room. and i have stuff to frame for some of the other wall space. so i guess i have to get off my bum and get those things some frames for it to count!

ready...set...go!!

(an idea- how about the first finisher posts a new message, does that sound like a good idea? or this thread would go on forever.)

Roleysmom
07-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Okay, I'm in! This is a great idea. Thanks, Neve. I also like the idea of breaking the tasks up into manageable bits. Master bedroom closets here I come!

Paula
-- mom to Roley Julia 01-04-02

alkagift
07-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Perfect, perfect! You WOULD pick the worst room--the one that never gets cleaned when people come over, where I and the baby practically live since I can't manage to shower before 11 am, where the dust bunnies are having a rodeo RIGHT NOW??

Ok, I'm game!

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

mama2be
07-27-2003, 01:23 PM
I agree new task...new ring leader...NEW THREAD :)

bluej
07-27-2003, 01:57 PM
Master Bath ha! I'm HOPING that I'll be able to tackle this one by the end of the week. Can't really do it right now since the toilet is sitting in a bucket in the corner, the vanity and mirror are in the baby's room along w/ the linen closet stuff being in his crib, the counter top and sink are in the kitchen....let's just say the room has never been cleaner :) What would take a normal man two days to do (paint and install everything) will take Paul a good four days (I'm being optimistic here). I can just see this week...me saying that EVERYONE is cleaning out the master bath, I need to be cleaning the master bath! Nothing like a little pressure to get things done!

ddmarsh
07-27-2003, 02:28 PM
I'm in such denial about the state of the underside of our bed that I forgot it even existed as a place to clean!

Ok, does this end on Friday or Sunday?

Debbie

todzwife
07-27-2003, 02:53 PM
I am in. :) This is such a great idea!
Shandelle ;)

himom
07-28-2003, 03:10 AM
Yeah! Top drawer tomorrow!

I really like the "keep love alive" idea too. Let's add that in every week. I try to remember to do this kind of stuff on my own, but like everything else in my mommy-brain it often goes out the window.

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

peanut4us
07-28-2003, 08:40 AM
so Neve, how are we going to keep ourselves honest? should we start a new post for giving ourselves pats on the back when we're done?

i'm so glad we're doing this, but i can only imagine the whining my dh is going to do when i go throiugh his drawers. heaven help me when i throw out his old underwear!

jd11365
07-28-2003, 09:09 AM
Woo Hoo! I love this idea! Maybe each Monday starts a new thread with our new tasks for the week?

mama2be
07-28-2003, 09:46 AM
:)...now i wnt to change ti to the smallest cleanest room I have :)...
But I'm awake and starting...Steve said I could hire soemone to help....yipee!!!! but who...they'd have to sign a confidentiality statement :)...
Hugs,
Have fun!!!!

nathansmom
07-28-2003, 10:17 AM
You can't change the room. I spent almost all day yesterday cleaning out my closet.

I wish my dh would say hire someone to help. It's hard cleaning with a little one. Good luck.

KMommie
07-28-2003, 11:10 AM
Okay, here I was, excited that I'd get a "freebie" day when I had to clean under the bed, since there's practically no room under there. And then DH reminded me that we're taking our first vacation with DD this week! So, now I have a short week to work on the master bed, and I have to pack! I think I'll concentrate on that master closet, that way I know what shoes no longer fit, clothes to toss, and I can hit the outlets while on vacation! :) So, master closet... here I come!!

Happy organizing!