PDA

View Full Version : Neve- What I did for the holiday

nathansmom
07-25-2003, 02:45 PM
I remember awhile back you posted on holiday traditions. Well yesterday was a holiday in my state and I carried put on a show for Nathan. Let me know if your interested and I'll share what we did. Even though your not in my state it might be a fun thing for Tristan and his future sibling.

mama2be
07-25-2003, 03:30 PM
I'd love to hear!!!!

nathansmom
07-25-2003, 04:24 PM
The holiday is called Pioneer/Handcart Day.

We started the day off with a pioneer breakfast of Johnnycakes and bacon. Nathan didn't get any bacon but I made a Johnnycake for him. We then dressed up for the parade. I put Nathan in a flannel shirt, overalls, cowboy boots and hat. This outfit came off before we made it to the parade since it was so HOT here. Hopefully the picture will work and I can post a picture.

For lunch we had baked beans from the dutch oven, johnnycakes, and more bacon. We ate this on a quilt in the back yard.

Dinner was chicken and potatoes in the dutch oven with apple crisp also done in the dutch oven.

We did all of the cooking outside in a dutch oven. I was HOT by the end of the day but things turned out well considering there were close to 30 people. I think that when he is a little older he'll enjoy this more as my 2 year nephew had fun. I have plans to make a covered wagon which should be a hit. I did purchase some tin dinnerware to make the meals seem more like what the pioneers lived like. I also made games that the pioneer kids would have played. Most of the older kids had fun playing them. Nathan seemed to enjoy everything that we did.

Edited to add- Nathan is crying. I'll get you the games we played later.

MartiesMom2B
07-25-2003, 05:05 PM
Norah:

That sounds like a lot of fun. Now I'm craving fried chicken. Yummm.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

alkagift
07-25-2003, 05:09 PM
That is really clever...I wish I had this kind of imagination!!

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

mama2be
07-25-2003, 07:04 PM
Norah,
Way to go making awesome moments for Nate to remember!!!! That sounds like an amazing time!!!! I'd love to copy it somehow...I suspect I might havet o fly out for next years "day", so I can witness first hand...and sample yummy food :)...

I'd love to see pictures!!!

cinrein
07-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Wow! That sounds like so much fun! What a lot of work for you, but I'm sure Nathan will look forward to Pioneer/Handcart Day every year.

Has anyone seen a book by Josie Bisset (the Melrose Place/Neutrogena gal) called something like Making Memories? I spied it a B&N the other day, but Anna was getting restless and didn't have time to inspect it. At a glance, it looked like it might have some good ideas.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03