PDA

View Full Version : No weight gain??

jojo2324
07-27-2003, 08:14 PM
I just realized that Gannon didn't gain any weight between his 9- and 12-month appointments. I understand that once he becomes mobile he doesn't gain as much as fast, but to not gain at all? The doctor didn't say anything, and I saw them plot it on his chart. Is this concerning?

Edited to add that he really didn't gain ANY weight...22 lbs, 13 oz both times.

peanut4us
07-27-2003, 08:38 PM
don't sweat it. just call your office tomorrow and doublecheck. i know sometimes i just need reassurance that they didn't overlook anything.

Melaniee
07-28-2003, 02:19 AM
Ds gained less than a pound around the time he started really moving...and again when he started walking. Sometime in there was a bout with the stomach flu which set him back 2 lbs, I think.

Things are probably different around your house, but he wasn't eating any solids either. Once I started making an effort for regular meal times, and his pallette expanded, the gaining quickly picked up.

If you are really concerned, you could check and see if they used the same scale, but I doubt that would account for more than an ounce or two. Our ped. doesn't allow for a weigh-only visit, but some do. You could go back in a couple of months for him to be weighed again, just for your own piece of mind.

emilyf
07-28-2003, 03:46 PM
This happened to us at our 6 mo. appt, and the dr did have me make some adjustments (making cereal w/formula instead of water, offering a bottle in the evenings if I felt he was still hungry after bfing (my supply tends to be low at the end of the day) Giving whole milk yogurt regularly. I brought him in for a weight check 2 weeks later and he had gained a pound. Of course Charlie is a lot younger then Gannon, and I know things really slow down once babies speed up as it sounds like Gannon is doing! I would probably give a call to the dr though just to reassure-
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

atlbaby
07-28-2003, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, but just to ease your mind you might call the ped tomorrow and check that it isn't a concern. Arielle only gained 3 oz from her 12 month appointment to her 15 month one but she grew a whopping 1.75 inches. I was a bit surprised but the doctor said she was still in the 50th% for weight, just that she was now in the 75th% for height (which I frankly don't believe since I am short and DH is not really tall, but that's more about how accurate the measurements are). It's true that when they get more moblie they will be burning more fuel and it may just take some time for the weight to catch up.

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2EDD 10/24/03-Another Girl!:)

Sandy
07-28-2003, 05:04 PM
Joanne,
Call you pediatrician if you are really worried but Alexander went through the same thing. He was so big early that for a long time he really didn't gain anymore weight. He just got taller.

Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

mamahill
07-28-2003, 06:18 PM
Also, take into consideration margin of error. At Ainsleigh's 15-month check-up, the nurse measured her as only growing 1/4 inch, and gaining 8 oz. When I voiced my confusion to the ped, she said she would re-measure anyway. Ainsleigh actually grew 1.5" and gained 2 lbs. BIG difference. She's still small for her age, but she IS growing.

And if he really is the exact same, I wouldn't worry too much. If he was laying around and sleeping a lot, then I might be worried, but I know he's not! (if ONLY - then maybe YOU could put your feet up!)