PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice About Work...

agomalley
07-28-2003, 04:36 PM
DS, Ryan, was born on April 9. I absolutely LOVE being home with him right now and wish I could be a SAHM, but that's not an option. Right now, I am slated to be out on maternity leave until Christmas. There is a possibility that a new job will be opening up for me, but I would have to start in late August. Without boring you with all of the details, there are pros and cons to each.
I'd love to take the job that starts in August since it would be close to home (3 mins.) and would probably free up alot of my "home" time since I wouldn't have as much take home work as I do now. The downside is that I probably won't know if I've got the position until mid-Aug. and while it seems probable, the job isn't as secure as my present one.(They may or may not have a position for me after next year) My present job is very stressful and requires me to bring home a lot of work. I have a 35 min. commute each way and have to leave really early (around 6:30) to avoide traffic. However I've been doing it for 6 years and have good job security there.

I guess I have two questions... First, what would you do? Second, if there is a possibility that I may be going back so soon, what should I do now to prepare? I'm BFing and would like to try to continue to do so.

If you've read this far...thanks! I guess I'm just looking to bounce this off you all for an objective opinion. Can you tell it's stressing me out? All I want to do is stay home with Ryan, not deal with this!!!

Thanks,
Anabelle

peanut4us
07-28-2003, 04:45 PM
I so feel for you. IMO take the job that will increase your quality of life. It will be hard enough for you to go back, but if you don't hate your life, it will be a little easier on you. And you said the job might not be around after next year... in this economy, that's a long time, by then, maybe you won't have to work. i would take the job i like. In fact, if my DH decides to stay home, I'm going to be talking with my boss when I go back of choosing a different career path within the company because I hate my current job. I just always thought I wouldn't have it for much longer, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

As far as preparation, I don't know... I haven't gotten that far yet myself. If your child doesn't take a bottle or sippy cup, do that. And make sure you have a pump you like and a place you can do it at work. I found out that my office acutally has a lactation room with a Lactina... you just bring your own hygienne kit.

Good luck to you. Just remember that if mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy.

sarasprings
07-28-2003, 07:42 PM
I agree, quality of life is very important. Your family needs to be happy -- whatever that happens to mean. It sounds like you would prefer the August job, so maybe the uncertainty is less important than being happier and having more time with your son.