PDA

View Full Version : Am I nuts??

todzwife
07-28-2003, 04:46 PM
Dh's family plans a Disneyland trip every year and DH REALLY wants to go this year. The thing is, it's scheduled the week before Christmas, only 2 months after Dallin is due. Is this a bad idea??? My biggest fear is all the germs on the plane, and December is peak RSV season. I would LOVE to go, and I will talk to the ped. when it gets a little closer. (Of course a lot has to do with whether or not he's on time/early/healthy etc.)I just wanted to see what all you veterans would do. Thanks!

brubeck
07-28-2003, 05:30 PM
I would think this might be the year to skip it. Even if you go, you will be dealing with the hassle of not being at home and having all of the items/places that have become familair to your son. You will be stressed at having to pack so much for such a little person (and drag it all on the plane), and you probably won't get to go on any of the rides anyhow because you will be looking after the baby.

Your concerns about illnesses are also valid!

Also, if you're going to change time zones to get there keep in mind what that might do to your new baby's fragile sleep schedule.

It's up to you, but if it were me I'd be staying home! I guess I'm just not adventurous. :-)

ddmarsh
07-28-2003, 06:02 PM
It's so hard to predict how you are going to feel with a 2 month old; add BF into the mix if you plan on doing that and being a first time mommy and you just further complicate matters. Knowing how you are going to feel, what you are going to be up to is just so hard to predict. Even if you felt that you could manage I don't think it would be enjoyable, I think it would more likely be stressful and something you would just manage to get through, not my idea of an ideal vacation!

As someone who went through a newborn having RSV this past winter I don't think that concern can be underestimated either - the peak months of high risk are those up to 4 months, which your baby will be and you will also be traveling during RSV season.

All in all I'd say go with your gut - if you think this is something that you are not prepared to attempt explain that to DH. Perhaps if he has his heart set on it he could go and you and the baby could have a few days home alone if your mom or someone could come and stay with you. This is a whole new wonderful world coming to you but one that takes time to navigate, I'd say chuck the idea of the trip and enjoy every moment at home with your baby!

Good luck -
Debbie

egoldber
07-28-2003, 08:25 PM
I would do whatever you are comfortable with. You may feel like traveling in December or you may not. In my opinion, those first few months are by far the easiest time to travel wth your child. It gets much harder when they are older, more mobile and are eating solids.

Also, I don't think your baby will be exposed to any more germs at Disneyworld than at the mall or Target at Christmastime.

But you should do what YOU are comfortable with.

HTH,

COElizabeth
07-28-2003, 09:01 PM
I can't really speak to the concerns about RSV, and I can see why you might not want to go for other reasons, but as far as the schedule and packing concerns, I wouldn't worry too much about those. I think it's much easier to travel with a young baby who is still sleeping anywhere and everywhere, still in the infant carrier, not yet eating solid food, etc. than with a baby who is mobile, needs solids, and is on a more regular nap and bedtime schedule. So if you decide you want to go, still want to go when it gets closer to the time, and your doctor is okay with it, then go for it. Also, one thing to keep in mind if you do go is that Disneyland offers passes for parents who wait outside a ride with a baby so they don't have to wait in line once one parent has stood in line for a ride.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

todzwife
07-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Thanks ladies. We would be going with DH's sister who's daughter will be just over a year, and my family is thinking about coming too...there would be plenty of arms to hold him while we take our turns on the rides. I am not really worried about the schedule (we live in NM, and we would be going to California, so it's not much of a time difference). And I Love packing (ok I am weird like that). I will be BFing, so I won't have to pack any bottles (and there is a Wal-mart 2 miles away if we need anything...we lived in LA for a few years and know the area really well). So,more than likely we will go, I just want to wait to see how I feel. Thanks so much ladies! I knew I could count on you!

stella
07-28-2003, 10:04 PM
BY even 3 weeks, I was ready to travel with my #2. We went to Big Bend National Park and hiked with my family. Well, she and I didn;t really hike - just took some long walks as I had had a c-section. Then when she was 8 wks, she and I flew from Texas to Atlanta to see my college friends - was a great trip.

With #1 I flew from Texas to Mississippi at 6 weeks, and really, they are so easy to travel with at those ages, as has been mentioned before.

Just try to keep all those strangers away from your baby. Keep her close to your body like in a sling/bjorn or if you buy her a seat, place it between you and dh.

Airplanes are really germy, so I understand your hesitation, but it wuould be a shame to miss such a fun trip!!

mom2kandj
07-29-2003, 01:05 AM
If you do go to Disneyland and CA Adventure, remember that they have Baby Centers in both parks. The Baby Centers are equipped with private nursing areas with rocking chairs, space for pumping, high chairs for quiet feedings, changing tables, and kid sized potties. Make sure to take frequent breaks from the family there so that you can have some quiet time with the baby! Also, if you are staying at a hotel, the shuttles run all the time and you could head back to the hotel if the baby needs it! HTH!

Rose (SAHM who used to work at the original Happiest Place on Earth, but now spends all of her time at her own version of the Happiest Place on Earth!)
mom 2 Katie (31 months)
& Jack (15 months)