PDA

View Full Version : do you ever wake your non-newborn baby up?

peanut4us
07-28-2003, 06:25 PM
just wondering... weissbluth says not to unless it's for the sake of your schedule. so dd has had bad short naps today, and when i finally got her down around 3, she was still sleeping at almost 6. dh thought we should wake her up, and boy was she unhappy.

so should we have awakened her for the sake of good nightime sleep? my initial instinct is no. mostly because she was so unhappy to be awake. And now i'm in a quandry of whether to put her back down when she's done eating. i'll wait and see if she still seems extra sleepy. i hope we didn't just mess her up.

emilyf
07-28-2003, 06:59 PM
I wake Charlie up quite a bit, and always have-he's a dynamite sleeper, but I find if he goes too long it messes things up. I usually don't let him go much past 2-2 1/2 hours during the day.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

agomalley
07-28-2003, 07:34 PM
I think I would have woken her up, too. If she slept much longer and didn't eat, then you really would've thrown her schedule off.
Anabelle
mom to Ryan 4/9/03

egoldber
07-28-2003, 08:19 PM
I probably would have woken her too. In general, I don't wake DD up unless I have to, but I certainly have on occasion.

HTH,

Karenn
07-28-2003, 10:23 PM
I would have woken her. I generally never wake Colin, "except to preserve an early bedtime" as Weisbluth says :) which is what you were doing. I'm sure you didn't mess her up too much. That's the great thing about sleep- you can always fix mess ups. I know it doesn't always seem like it at the time, but they are fixable. :)

AngelaS
07-29-2003, 06:57 AM
During the day I always woke my babies up. I fed them every 3 to 4 hours during the day so they never got to sleep past their next feeding time. :D Both slept thru the night by 4 months or so because they were getting plenty to eat during the day.

daisymommy
07-29-2003, 07:43 AM
Just want to agree with everyone else. For a non newborn baby I wouldn't let a nap go past 2 or 2.5 hrs at the max. It really will mess their little schedules up (both sleep and eating). Then you'll really have a problem on your hands at night!