PDA

View Full Version : What type of calendar do you use?

parkersmama
07-28-2003, 10:14 PM
I am trying to start up a better calendaring/home organization system but having trouble deciding what to do. I used a Franklin/Covey calendar system for years and years and then abandoned it for a PDA a few years ago. Well, my PDA died (actually my dh accidently killed all my info and I was so distraught that I haven't tried it again! LOL!) about a year ago and I've just been using a large wall-type calendar ever since. The problem with that is that there's no where to put the extras...to do lists, detailed info on events, addresses/phone #s, and so on. So, I'm on the hunt again for a good system. It seems like most of the info that I find is on using a paper system that is sort of "homemade"...tailored to the user. The big problem with that is that I'd prefer something that's fairly portable (I think) and a big 3-ring binder just doesn't seem to fill the bill. Of course, I find it a little irritating to have to turn on the PDA and do all that scribbling whenever I want to do a new list...it seems so much easier to just write it by hand.

Anyway, I'm interested in what other people do and why they like it. I've found that keeping a calendar gets exponentially more complicated with each additional child that begins school/preschool. They have so many activities, outings, assignments, etc. that it really gets complicated! Then adding in all that dh and I do each week, trips, birthdays, deadlines...it's overwhelming!!! Help!!

ddmarsh
07-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Arrgggh, this is my ongoing battle! I have gone through 3 Franklin Covey binders - each a different size - and have never actually gotten into using one. What really seems to work for me is a large calender, b/c I need that constant reminder when I pass by it and give it a glance throughout the day. I will also add post-its as needed for really big reminders :).

Things have gotten so much more complicated with adding children and as they age their schedules become more complicated so I am constantly trying to figure out new ways to do this. One really great idea I came across recently is a daily reminder tool for kids; it has each day of the week and you label it with things they need on each day (i.e. Monday - gym clothes, flute, etc.). You can hang it on the door knob and they can check it as they are getting ready. I saw this in Family Fun and if you are interested email me and I can mail or fax you a copy of it.

It's a tough battle and I'm not a good warrior, I'll be interested in hearing other ideas :).

Debbie

daisymommy
07-29-2003, 07:41 AM
I'm still stuck on this question as well. I'm using a modified Fly Lady system, and using the "Control Journal" that she suggests. I have all my stuff in a zip-up three ring binder. It's great because it holds everything, but not great because it's so bulky.
In conjunction with that I bought a large (poster size almost) laminated wall calendar from Staples. You can use dry erase markers or overhead projector wet erase markers on it. I write down my appointments, things to do for the day, bills to be paid, and what's for dinner in each each large square. I would suggest that you use a different color marker for each person in the family to keep it organized. It looks a little tacky hanging on the wall, but hey, if it works to keep things sane...

MKH76
07-29-2003, 08:56 AM
I've been using the Franklin Covey system for a couple of years now. I find what has worked best for me is the classic style but the weekly pages instead of daily pages. The daily makes it too bulky. I also use their website to customize other pages for it. For bill paying. We have a three ring notebook by the computer that DH and I can both glance at to make sure everything looks good in the check book. (We buy everything but groceries on line) For meals we have a monthly calendar on the side of the fridge with every night of dinner planned.

Every night before bed, we look at the FC and see what needs to be done the next day. For example if it is red shirt day at daycare or if DH is on the flight team (Coast Guard husband, hardly ever home) and we put everyone's stuff by the front door and make a little list for the fridge that says where people will be. So DH doesn't forget and go fishing when it is my night to go hiking with the girls.

ddmarsh
07-29-2003, 09:03 AM
Amy - I love the idea of the large calender. I use a wall calender with really large squares from www.moretimemoms.com that I buy every year, but I think the calenders you are referring to have even larger squares.

I also love hearing about the Franklin site - I didn't know you could do that!

Great tips :).

Oops, edited to add two things that I use and find helpful, although not related to a calender:

1. type up a list of everything you ever need at the grocery store and either place in kitchen or shrink and place in your planner - simply circle items you need as you go through the week

2. keep film envelopes at home and use return address labels on them instead of filling out - drop off as needed

Debbie

kathsmom
07-29-2003, 09:47 AM
Hi, Debbie!

I believe the Flylady sells these calendars! My friend saw them when she went to the "Fly Fest" in Greenville, SC. She said they were great. I have only one child in school, so it's faily easy to manage her schedule right now. I do have a while before Andrew is ready for Mother's Morning Out and Preschool, so I don't know what I will do then!LOL!

My friend has a 2 daughters (one going into high school and one starting middle school) and she thought it would work just fine for both girls.

Thanks for reminding me of this, because I need a new calendar ASAP! My last one was the huge kind you lay on a desk and tear off the pages each month. It had plenty of space, but it kept falling off the wall! I bought it at a school supply store, so it goes from August-July.

This is a great thread! I am not fond of my Palm Pilot. DH loves his and constantly tries to teach me to use mine, but I am not finding it easy to use, etc. Maybe I am just Palm-challenged. I also need to find something portable that I can put everything in. I will have to check out Franklin Covey.

Amy, I am impressed that you have the control journal! Wow! I have not even attempted to start mine!

CherylT
07-29-2003, 02:10 PM
I too used a Franklin Covey planner for years and years. Once I had DD I tried downsizing to the smallest binder made, but it was still too bulky for me. I wanted a PDA, but as a SAHM, I couldn't justify the large expense. I ended up getting a Casio Cassiopeia (I have the PV-S400) for about $70 as a birthday present almost 2 years ago. It is just great. Doesn't have all the fancy bells and whistles, but it has everything I need and want with a paper organizer (calendar/scheduler, contacts, memo - even a couple of solitaire games!). I also use a dry erase calendar on my frig. This system has worked very well for me for the couple of years I've been using it. HTH

Cheryl
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

parkersmama
07-30-2003, 07:05 AM
Do you use any special software on it to help you stay organized? www.organizedhome.com has several articles on PDA use for home management (under Declutter 101 the title is "Hi-tech Housewife"). They had some suggestions for software that sounded interested.

Also, for those of you interested in Franklin Covey products, I just saw a line by them featured at Target called 365. It looked pretty cool if you're wanting a paper system.

CherylT
08-01-2003, 05:33 PM
No, I just use what was loaded on it. It has an Expense program that I use to record every expense I make. It has a Scheduler program that allows you to schedule reminders, to dos, appts, etc. It has a Memo section (to keep track of lists, etc.) - I use this for keeping track of the kid's milestones, xmas gift lists, "wish" lists, menu lists, etc. It has a Quick-memo program which you can use to draw a quick map, etc. Contacts keep track of all your contacts (I use the note section to mark whether I send an xmas card or not, then I just search for XMAS and it pulls up everyone who needs a card - I edit this once a year to remove/add folks - then edit my database in Access and print my labels). It has a Secret feature that once you put in a password you have duplicate menu options - I use the Memo section here to record driver's license numbers, Soc. Sec. numbers, and other important info. It has a Pocket Sheet program, but I've never used it (like Excel). It syncs to your computer too. I guess I have my own system. I record birthdays, holidays, anniversarys, etc. as Reminders so they show up each year. I mark pretty much everything else I do as a To Do - including the one day a week that I mail bills. I put a To Do for each Monday called Mail Bills. Then I list under that each bill that must be mailed on (or before) that day. Once a week (usually on Wed or Thur) I do the bills for the next Monday and I'm done - never miss a payment (I keep all the paper bills in a little bin - when I get them I record them on the PDA and toss them in the bin). At the end of each month I copy whatever info I need to on my dry erase calendar on my fridge. I was an OBSESSIVE Franklin Planner (even used to go to their seminars) - so switching to SAHM-dom was a huge adjustment for me since I was used to a very scheduled life!! Anyway, I really do love this Casio - I know it is nothing special, and there are some functions I wish I could personalize (like the Expense items). It is small and fits in my purse. If it ever dies, I'll definitely get another PDA similar (low price - though next time I'll know what features I'll want). I also like that it uses regular old AA's (since I don't have it on all day, I only need to change them 2 times a year or so). Anyway, this was probably more info than you wanted - HTH.

Cheryl
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

parkersmama
08-01-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks! Very helpful, actually! I ended up, after weighing the pros and cons, getting a Palm Zire 71 from eBay (unopened, in box). It hasn't come yet but I'm looking forward to using it. I honestly like using a paper calendar and to-do list better but I absolutely despise a paper address book. The other things are toss-ups. I think that I'll really enjoy using it and I'm ready to get back into that now that I'm getting over my grief about my last palm!! LOL!