PDA

View Full Version : OT: Calling the Crock Pot Experts

lukkykatt
07-29-2003, 09:14 PM
I know alot of people here like to use crock pots, and I want to start using mine. But it is a big one (I think 5 or 6 quarts?). The recipe book I have shows all its recipes for the smaller crock pots, and then says to double the recipe if you have a larger one. BUT, do you have to? I'm not cooking for an army, just 2 or 3 of us (depending on if DS will eat what I make).

So, do I need a smaller one, or will I be fine cooking a small recipe in a big crock pot? I was afraid it might dry out or something.

Any advice?

MommytoDylan
07-29-2003, 09:21 PM
I made a meal yesterday that I cut in half because I was only cooking for two. The finished product didn't come close to filling up the pot (maybe 1/4 of the way up) but the end result was tasty. My husband loved it and commented on how moist it was. All that to say I don't think it matters.

August Mom
07-29-2003, 10:30 PM
I used to have a smaller one, but DH broke the crock and bought a replacement unit in the larger size. I've used the same recipes in both and haven't had a problem. You are supposed to fill the crockpot at least half-way to promote even cooking. Most of my meals, even for the two of us, reach the half-way point. Really, I don't think it will be a problem. Just make sure you use some liquid like broth to keep things moist. HTH

MelissaTC
07-29-2003, 10:30 PM
I have 2 pots and use the smaller one all the time. Seems to be easier and it is actually a better pot than my larger one. I have had some dry outs. My large pot is a Hamilton Beach and my smaller is a 5 yr old Rival which I LOVE. Works perfectly!!!