PDA

View Full Version : New 2003 Edition of Weissbluth

Karenn
07-30-2003, 12:46 AM
With all the threads on Weissbluth lately, I thought this might be worth mentioning. I don't know about the rest of you mommies of older babies, but I was assuming that everyone posting about Weissbluth had been reading the same old yellow version that I bought a little over a year ago. I hadn't realized until I was browsing the parenting section of a bookstore tonight that he actually has a new "3rd Edition completely Revised and Expanded." (The new one has a sort of pastel rainbow cover.)

Of course being the sleep book junky that I am, I bought a copy of the new book, and I'm looking forward to reading it. :) I'll let you know if I run across any glaring changes from the older edition.

NancyJ
07-30-2003, 12:59 AM
Thanks for your post, it's good timing! I just ordered the book online last night from Overstock, but after reading your post I went back and checked Overstock vs. Amazon and it appears that Overstock is selling the old version while Amazon has the new version. I just tried to cancel my order and can hopefully get the new version instead.

Thanks!

Nancy
Mom to Braeden 6.5.03

cchavez
07-30-2003, 10:12 PM
i ordered mine from amazon about a month ago and got the yellow copy....please DO let us know if there are any major changes!! Thanks!

wendmatt
07-31-2003, 03:03 AM
I just got the yellow one so I'd love to hear if there are any changes!
Wendy (Emily's mum 11/21/02)

alkagift
07-31-2003, 03:12 PM
I'm confused! I went out to Amazon to check it out because I just bought the yellow one yesterday! Amazon's they're selling the 1999 edition too, but the cover picture that they show is the one Karen describes--the back cover picture is the yellow one we all have. Is it possible that that's a hardcopy cover? I went out to the publisher, Ballantine Books, to see what the book looks like, and they're showing the same pastel rainbow cover that Karen describes, but they're saying that's the 1999 edition--they're not showing a more recent one is available, but maybe they don't update their site? My yellow one says "completely revised and expanded," but not 3rd edition!

Argh. Let us know, Karen, if it's really different or something is just weird with the publishers!

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Karenn
07-31-2003, 04:17 PM
Well, I haven't finished reading it yet, but it really is a different book. The underlying philosophy is the same, and it contains much of the same information from the yellow book, but it really is exapnded too. The rainbow book is a good 1/4-1/2 inch thicker than the yellow one.

In my opinion, it seems to be a little better organized. It also has more specific information on "Sleep problems and solutions." He now has sections that address specific problems, i.e. "morning wake up is too early" or "needs a nap but refuses to nap" etc.

He also spends a little bit more time talking about some "no cry" sleep solutions and offering ideas to minimize crying. At the same time, I think he also spends a bit more time explaining why he believes his method (including crying) is safe and not in any way harmful to children.

So, here are my two cents: If you've got a decent sleeper and just bought the book because you want to stay on track, I'm sure the yellow book will serve you fine. If you're exhausted and pulling your hair out saying, "Why isn't this working and why won't he give me more information?" I think it might be worth the $14 to buy the new edition. I'm glad I bought it, but I'm a little neurotic about sleep. :)

HTH!

jubilee
08-01-2003, 05:56 AM
I tried to find "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby" online, and only found the 1999 version with the rainbow cover. However there is a 2003 version of "Your Fussy Baby" by Weissbluth and it also has a rainbow cover. Which one has the extra sleep help you were mentioning?

Karenn
08-01-2003, 10:02 AM
I haven't looked at Your Fussy Baby. The new book that I have looks like the one that is shown in this amazon link.

[http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0449004023/qid=1059748546/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/103-1200178-4187007?v=glance&s=books&n=507846]

It is a third edition of Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child and on the cover, it says "3rd Edition Completely Revised and Expanded!" The publisher is Ballantine Books.

On the other hand, my yellow book, is the same as what you see when you click on the "look inside this book" icon from this same link. On the front it says "Completely Revised and Expanded!" but does not say 3rd edition. It is published by Fawcett.

Both books have the same ISBN number. It looks to me like Amazon hasn't quite finished updating their website since the "sample" does not match the book they are showing. I know it must be confusing, but I hope that helps some.

alkagift
08-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Karen,
Were you in a local bookstore or did you go to Barnes and Noble or a chain like that? I'm hoping that BN has it locally, since I bought my yellow copy at Borders the other day...

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Karenn
08-01-2003, 11:22 AM
Hi Allison,
I bought my copy at an independent bookstore on Tuesday night. Interestingly, when I bought it, I asked the clerk if he could find out how recently it had been published and his computer also said April 1999 so it sounds like a lot of people (stores and consumers!) are confused. I wish I could be more help!

trumansmom
08-01-2003, 01:49 PM
I got one of the updated ones at BN today.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01