PDA

View Full Version : Different DS at Grandma's House??

kfcboston
07-30-2003, 08:24 AM
Well, this has been rather sudden. Seems DS has decided he will eat 10 times more, be 10 times more difficult, and sleep 10 times less easily at Grandma's house than at mine! She's been watching him 2-3 times a week since I went back to work PT 2 months ago. I'm thinking maybe he really IS now starting to sense and SPEAK OUT RE: the difference between mom & grandmom and breast vs. bottle. Thoughts? The difference in the amount of milk/formula/cereal he's consuming seems to be huge; maybe my mom's desperate and overfeeding him? I feel terrible for my mom - she's worn out!! Thanks!

LucyG
07-30-2003, 11:08 AM
We have noticed the same thing recently (behavior, not feeding), and our DD is about your baby's age (born Feb. 19). We see grandparents semi-regularly, since they live far away. However, DD is definitely developing some stranger awareness. This morning, I took her to DH's workplace. All of his co-workers were holding her and fussing over her, and DD clamped up and looked like she was at a funeral! When I held her again, she was all smiles! I start back to work part-time next week, so I'll be curious to see how she does for the sitter. No real advice here, but just wanted to say that we are in the same place. Good luck!

KMommie
07-30-2003, 12:34 PM
I don't have any personal experience, but I can tell you what you're relating about being different at grandma's than at home sounds a lot like what my nephew went through. When he was about 4 months old, my SIL started taking DN to MIL's to get him used to her being away. MIL started telling SIL how much she was feeding him, and it was a HUGE difference between what he would eat at home and what he would eat at MIL's house. He would eat a TON more at MIL's house. DN was also UP a lot more at MIL's house. So, I figured, if he's up more and spending more time fussing, then he's expending more energy and is probably hungry more.

It does sound like your DS is noticing the difference between mom and grandmom. Maybe something about grandmom's house is uncomfortable to him? I know that DD only sleeps well in her crib or with me. I've been trying to get her used to the PNP again, she used to love her PNP, but now she refuses to sleep in it. So, she can't really be watched at other houses, I always ask my mom and MIL to come to us. Could your mom come to your house instead?

Hopefully, this is just a transitional period and it will end soon. Sorry, I didn't have much to suggest. But, at least, you know there are others who have gone through similar situations. :)

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

kfcboston
07-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Good to know I'm not alone, as always. Wonder if she qualifies as a stranger at 30 hours a week? Hmmmm. We'll have to see how this pans out. I'm not looking forward to stranger anxiety, esp. b/c none of my friends have kids and they all think that THEY are the problem! Ugh. If they only knew. :-)

stillplayswithbarbies
07-30-2003, 03:48 PM
I wonder if she is not as intuitive about his various cries and is interpreting everything as a hunger cry and giving him a bottle? Then he sucks for comfort but has to drink what comes out.

Does he use a pacifier? Maybe suggest she try it first before a bottle when he fusses?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

kfcboston
07-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Funny you say that. My mom was just saying this afternoon that she doesn't feel confident yet distinguishing between sleepy fussing and hungry fussing. She's clearly erring on the side of hunger. Now that he has discovered his thumb he'll have nothing to do with a pacifier, but if you put him down when he's tired he'll quiet right down and put thumb in mouth. Franky, I think it's just easier for her to feed him first, b/c she tries nap first and is wrong that means extra trips up and down the stairs with the little 18-pounder!