PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding problems

Cindder
07-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Hi, I recently gave birth to twin boys 8 weeks ago and have been breastfeeding them. It has not been easy as I have been dealing with sore nipples, etc. Last week I developed a yeast infection on my nipples and started using Nystatin cream 2 days ago, along with the drops for my babies. Someone told me about Gentian Violet that supposedly works great but is incredibly messy and stains everything. Has anyone used this before, and if so, do they reccomend it? I am looking for some relief from the pain of nursing. I have seen 2 lactation consultants and was given different opinions. Thanks for any help!

ginalc
07-30-2003, 09:47 AM
I've used the Gentian Violet twice (2 different babies) after Nystatin didn't work for us. GV is messy and it does stain, but it worked well. There has been some question as to whether it causes mouth cancer but I believe that is with extended use. My Pediatrician told me that using GV for 4 days won't harm baby.

Here's a good link: http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/thrush.html

I had DH pick up the GV from the health food store. Baby and I used it in the early evening. By the next morning, baby's lips were a light purple (think eating a purple popsicle) and we were able to go out and about with no problem.

Good Luck!!!

gina, mom to 3