PDA

View Full Version : Would you be on a BABY STORY

liya
07-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Well i know i would be on Trading Spaces in a heartbeat...lol my house needs mayor rehabilitation....its soo dull in the rooms...sigh..but a baby story...I know its something to remember and everything but i would feel kindda weird with all the cameras on me while i was in labor...And somtimes i just cant believe how ppl get skunked into buying things they dont need at all when they go to their shopping experience....JMHO Has anyone in here been on there?? Would anyone be willing too??

jojo2324
07-30-2003, 10:10 AM
I don't know if I would go on...The show seems way too light and airy. Also, they're editing down hours of footage into a 5 minute birth sequence. It's not realistic. I have only seen ONE episode where the father passed out, this while the woman was screaming and demanding meds, after going on and on about being natural. THAT is realistic to me. But then there was the episode where the lady, just before starting to push, put a flower behind her ear and fresh lipstick on, and THEN!!! Just before she pushed the baby out, reached over, grabbed a bottle of scented water, or something, and splashed herself (I mean herself, herself) down there so that the baby would be born into something "pretty." NOT realistic to me.

They probably wouldn't want me on anyway. I'd be way too much of a pain. :D

Edited to add: The other real kicker with the show is that they always go back 6 weeks later to find the parents happy and rested and the baby sleeping contentedly in their arms...Or laying down in its crib and going right to sleep. How long do the camera crews have to hang around to capture THAT?!?! :)

NancyJ
07-30-2003, 10:40 AM
Yeah, why aren't they showing the colicky babies 6 weeks later and the parents completely frustrated, fatigued and at their wits end?? Sometimes I watch that show and wonder if everyone else in the world is living with completely content, happy babies, and mine is the only one crying. Ugh...

The same production company that produces that show also produces the show House Hunters that airs on Home & Garden Television. My husband and I filmed that about 6 months ago (it's going to be on in the fall) and I can attest to the fact that they certainly don't show the less-than-picture-perfect moments. And having and caring for a baby is a gazillion times more difficult than buying a house :)

Nancy
Mom to Braeden 6.5.03

stillplayswithbarbies
07-30-2003, 10:57 AM
I definitely would not want to be on. I didn't even want my husband around while I was in labor, I sure wouldn't want a whole camera crew. :) I just wanted to sit by myself in my recliner and relax and labor all alone.

Although the mad dash to find a parking space at the hospital, and the search for my doctor, and him arriving just barely in time to catch the baby, who was almost born in the hallway on the way to the delivery room, would have made for amusing TV. :)

My husband was also quite amused when I ripped off my t-shirt. And refused to let the nurse put a gown on me. I don't think they could show that part on TV.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

LucyG
07-30-2003, 11:11 AM
I saw that same episode, and I was SHOCKED to see the woman do that with the scented water!!!!!!!!!!

nathansmom
07-30-2003, 11:11 AM
House Hunters is one of my favorite shows. I'll watch closely in the fall for you. I just hope your not one of the people I make fun of for saying dumb things. LOL

NancyJ
07-30-2003, 11:23 AM
EVERY show there's people to make fun of for saying dumb things! We hadn't seen the show much before we agreed to be on it, in fact I don't think we had ever watched it, and now we always laugh at the people for saying the same thing over and over when they walk into each new room ("nice...", "is this original?", etc.)...I'm sure we'll be no different :) The funny thing about our show is that the plotline is that we're newlyweds looking for a house, and then when they come back to see us in our new house at the end I'm 7 months pregnant. Hope we don't say too many dumb things on it!

Nancy
Mom to Braeden 6.5.03

MartiesMom2B
07-30-2003, 11:43 AM
I read an article in a magazine about someone who really did it. They did say that they edited this a lot.

I don't think I'd be on. No way. I didn't even want to look at myself in the process and I didn't allow any photography in the room until after Martie was born.

My favorite episode was when the couple was practacing to have hypno birth, however when it came to labor time I guess she couldn't get focused to get hypnotized, because her husband tried to touch her and she yelled at him to stop touching her and that he was annoying her. Very funny. They are re-running Cosby Shows and there is a great one with John Ritter and Amy Yasbeck (sp??) where they thought they were so prepared because they had read so many books, but that all went out the window when the actual event occurred. I love it, it kind of happened to us when Martie was coming - except I was nicer, especially after the epidural.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

KMommie
07-30-2003, 12:10 PM
I read that same article on Baby Story! DH is always talking about how we should have tried to be on Wedding Story (DH was definitely the BRIDE in our wedding, I was more like the groom)... then he wanted to do Baby Story, and I said NO WAY. Much more accurate, I think is Labor Day on DHC. Of course, I watched it ONCE when I was pregnant, and it scared me so bad (this poor woman wanted to give birth in a birthing center, she exercised up until a week before, labored without meds for hours at the birthing center, then ended up going across the street to the hospital for a medicated delivery (couldn't take the pain), ended up being a c-section. I was crying when the baby was finally born.

...House Hunters... DH and I LOVE that show. We watch it all the time. We laughed when we saw a realtor we knew on the show. He was such a cornball, and he didn't even find the house the client ended up buying. We're always trying to figure out where the houses are located. When we recognize an area, we get all excited.

marit
07-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Unlike everyone else here, I would die to be on one! (Well, I never had the courage to actually do that when I was pregnant though). I don't mind them cutting out the gross scenes, you wouldn't want it any other way, anyway.

I think it is an awesome souvenir!

Marit

AngelaS
07-30-2003, 02:31 PM
Considering I didn't even have either of our births videotaped, my second delivery would have been a great story! :D I went naturally, chanted HUMMMMM thru contractions and then when I saw dd's head and shoulders out, I reached down and pulled her out myself. I've never seen THAT on TV!

My favorite Baby Story is the young ringlet curled mommy who's having a home birth. They can't find the midwife and by the time the midwife shows up the mommy's standing in the doorway and says, "what's this?"---it's the baby's crowning head. They quickly move her to the bed and she delivers. My friend and I call it "The Screamer Episode", 'cause that's what the mom's doing the whole time!

trumansmom
07-30-2003, 02:42 PM
I LOVE the episode where the guy passes out! It's my favorite! I love feeling all superior and snotty when I watch it.

Now you see my real, petty side...

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

lizajane
07-30-2003, 03:04 PM
i would have been a fascinating baby story... got my epidural at 3cm (4 hours into labor). then, pretty much slept. dh read a magazine (at my insistance). then, at 10cm, started puking. then, pushed for 30 minutes with 0 pain (super deluxe epidural :) ) and ta da. there he was.

what would they show from all that? the puking? i think the puking was the most "exciting" part! i think we would have been fired from baby story for being too dull.

mharling
07-30-2003, 04:25 PM
NO WAY!!! :)

I would be on Trading Spaces or House Hunters, though.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

mharling
07-30-2003, 04:26 PM
House Hunters has become my late night addiction. Make sure to let us know when yours will be on!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

Lori in NJ
07-30-2003, 06:35 PM
Funny you should ask this. I know Banyan Productions is based in the Philly area and my DH's restaurant was used in an episode of A Dating Story. Sure enough when we got pregnant a month after the filming we were offered to do A Baby Story. I was really considering it... Unfortunately I lost the baby at 23 wks due to incompetent cervix and after that I couldn't handle watching how easy & effortless everyone's pregnancies looked (I won't even get started re the deliveries).

I am currently 38 wks pregnant (tomorrow) and if anything I would've been happy to do Birth Day (on Discovery Health) to give other women with this condition hope that they could make it full term (and go from anxiety attacks about delivering at 22-24 wks to handing down eviction notices at 36+ weeks...;-) ) Also got a good chuckle out of the fact that I've seen at least 4-5 episodes of A Baby Story filmed at the hospital I'm delivering at and saw 2/3 of my OB's on Birth Day doing deliveries, kindof nice to see the people who are going to be taking care of you in action.

Lori

liya
07-30-2003, 08:11 PM
I love a Bday story......i love watching it....it is very real....i dont know what channel HH will be on or is on???

nathansmom
07-30-2003, 10:03 PM
House Hunters is on HGTV (Home and Garden Network).

I wouldn't do a Baby story because I didn't want anyone at the hospital besides my dh. I worried for months and turned out that my family had a bad week and my dh was the only one there for the delivery.

Melaniee
07-31-2003, 04:03 AM
I love that show! Which couple where/are you? I'll watch for you!

How did you end up on it, anyone? Did you sign up or was your realtor the one who approached you?

Melaniee
07-31-2003, 04:06 AM
For someone who didn't want the birth videotaped, and very few people there, I think I'd do it. We'd be a 2nd-try at a birthing center birth. I think we'll try hypnobirthing, too. A friend tried it with #1 at hospital and didn't succeed, #2 at birthing center and said it was painless.

I have seen a few couples on there that I wish I knew IRL, but most drive me up the wall. I still watch it though...LOL! It'd be fun to be the freaky cloth-diapering, extended-BFing, co-sleeping family I think. ;-)

cinrein
07-31-2003, 07:10 AM
Lori,

I lost my first baby at 20 weeks. Three years later, I have a super-healthy 5 month old sleeping upstairs. I did not watch any baby shows until after I brought home my baby--simply could not handle the births. Part of me never thought I'd get to that point. I too was a nervous wreck pretty much until 37 weeks. It's funny, but when I was in labor and it came time to push, I almost didn't want to. I was finally feeling good that the baby was OK and was worried we'd discover something was wrong once she was out. (Kind of dumb, but that's how I felt.)

Anyway, just wanted to pat you on the back. You're sooo close! From my own experience I can say that the pain and anguish of getting to motherhood is all but forgotten when you look at your baby's face. I'd definitely do it all again.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03