PDA

View Full Version : Argh, how is this tummy time thing supposed to work?

alkagift
07-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Matt went to his two month appointment yesterday and when the Ped pulled him up from lying on his back, he didn't hold his head up enough, nor did he have enough head control in the seated position (some, just not enough). She told me that I need to put him in tummy time more often--essentially the entire time he's awake. Ok, it's only been in the last week that I can get him in the position without screaming, but here's the deal: he absolutely does not care about pulling his head up to look at anything. I tease him with toys, massage him, everything I can think of, and he is NOT the least bit interested in pushing himself up from the tummy position. All he does is lie there and suck his thumb. Eventually he falls asleep. Nada. I've propped him up on my boppy, but it seems too high and he's uncomfortable. What do I do to get this sweetie to raise his head and look around??

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

MartiesMom2B
07-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Allison:

Put Matthew on your chest. That counts as tummy time and he'll look up to see your beautiful face. You might want to sit in a partially reclining seat to help. This is how I started Tummy Time w/ Martie. Then we progressed onto the boppy and then on the floor. She actually rolls over onto her back now during tummy time.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

KMommie
07-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Sounds like you're trying everything! At least, he's not screaming, and is adjusting to tummy time, so don't give up. Toys... have you tried a propped up mirror? I put DD forward, on the very edge of the Boppy, set her arms up on the boppy in a "propping up" position (her hands are hanging off the boppy almost.) The only thing that seemed to keep her attention in the beginning was the mirror propped up right in front of her, so she had to look straight ahead to see herself.

Also, have you seen the "Tummy Time" boppy? It's smaller and lower than the regular boppy with toy rings attached, might be more comfy for Matt... DD used it for the first couple of months, and she did like it better than the regular boppy, the regular boppy, she kept sliding down and then would cry, the smaller boppy fit better.

HTH,
Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

puglucy
07-30-2003, 12:41 PM
I agree -- put him on your chest -- nice for both of you.

Alex wasn't doing the "pull his arms up to seated position" thing "on schedule", so for several wks, dh would put his arm behind Alex's head, neck, & back & kindof "spot" him, or support him, as he pulled him up. You could try a similar thing for the skills you're working on. Dh was convinced that Alex didn't have the "idea'" of that particular movement, & that this would put the idea in his head.

(frankly, i was a little skeptical. But it worked. Or something did, & he's progressed a lot, & does not need PT, as we thought he might). Also, remember that milestones at certain ages don't matter, just that they progress relative to their own skills.

hth,

Lucy
mama to Alex 3/18/03

August Mom
07-30-2003, 02:47 PM
I agree. Try not to worry. Every baby has his or her own schedule. My DS started raising his head just at 8 weeks. He hated tummy time and would scream everytime I put him on his tummy. I did prop him up on the wedge to the Lamaze mirror. He seemed to like that better than the Boppy. My mom bought the Playskool Tummy Time Picture Show and that actually helped. DS was interested in the moving pictures. Later when he was working on sitting, he enjoyed spinning the knobs. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000063XLA/qid=1059593519/sr=1-26/ref=sr_1_26/002-3975968-8507241?v=glance&s=toys

stillplayswithbarbies
07-30-2003, 03:50 PM
My daughter always hated tummy time UNTIL she could hold her head up and support herself on her arms. I always thought that was the point of tummy time, to stengthen her muscles so she can learn to push up. Somehow she got strong enough without ever spending much time on her tummy at all. Now she likes it and will roll to her tummy if we lay her on her back.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

peanut4us
07-30-2003, 05:12 PM
I thought the boppy was too big too, so i just rolled up a towel and used that instead... it made a huge difference. If it makes you feel any better though, DD just started not minding tummy time. Mostly because she just learned to roll over and it's a pride issue with her. She's very into "don't touch me, I'll figure it out!" And she's 4 months.