PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Gymboree?

kristine_elen
07-30-2003, 02:25 PM
I'm thinking of signing up for Gymboree play class (not the music one, they're different, right?) for my 7.5 month-old-son. We are going to a free trial class later this week, but I'm wondering if you've had good/bad experiences with it. There's a corporateness to it that creeps me out a bit, but on the other hand, my son might think it's a blast. (We are also signed up for a Music Together class, which is not affiliated with Gymboree.)
Thanks!

momathome
07-30-2003, 03:23 PM
I did Gymboree with Liza whenshe was 2 and she loved it. It was by far her favorite place to go to and she still talks about it now even though she's 5! I think I am going to sign 2 year-old Kasey to do it in the fall. I did hear that the quality of the program varies from location to location so you may want to ask some of the local moms where the good Gymboree programs are. Good luck - it's a lot of fun, even though the music gets on your nerves after awhile!
-Lauren

kristine_elen
07-30-2003, 04:04 PM
Wow, that is some testimonial! She remembers after three years?!

mharling
07-30-2003, 04:15 PM
I met a mom in infant massage class that takes her baby there. She likes it and the baby seems to really enjoy it. Ds and I are going tomorrow for our free trial session.

I don't know if the prices vary at the locations, but this would be $188 for 12 weeks. Seems a little pricey to me. But, I'm new to all this, so I don't know. Is it?

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

ktdid74
07-30-2003, 04:18 PM
My son LOVED Gymboree! He did it when he was 2 and wanted to go everyday! They have open gym a few times a week so you can go then, too. Brendan still talks about it and that was last fall. IMHO, it's more for the mom's when they take the baby class. But, when they're mobile and full of energy, it's a great outlet! I'll do it with Mackenzie when she's older, too. You may find you like one teacher better than another. What's nice is you can make up classes if you miss one. HTH-

Katie
mom to Brendan and Mackenzie

C99
07-30-2003, 10:57 PM
Mary,

That's better than in the city. I didn't look into it too hard, but I met a gal in my neighborhood who did and she told me that it was $240 for 12 weeks. I was thinking about it but the price, combined with the fact that they end everything with "at Gymboree!" makes me want to run screaming.

marit
07-30-2003, 11:09 PM
My daughter is 6 months old and we just came back from our second Gymboree class today. We did the free trial last week, and Maya loved it so much that I enrolled. I paid $175 for 12 classes + $25 enrolment fee. Since Maya is not in daycare yet, I feel it is important for her to see other babies, not just her mom all day long. The first few minutes she was a little scared, but once she got past that (I think she never saw so many people in her lifeā€¦) she was SO excited about the other kids, she crawled over to everyone and tried touching their faces. Very cute!

Marit

egoldber
07-30-2003, 11:10 PM
This REALLY bothers me too. Like the fact that they use all their own toys isn't enough marketing for them? I have only gone to free preview week a few times, and the qaulity of intruction was so poor I would not pay that much money. Definitely try before you buy!

FYI, my local parks&rec offers similar classes for less than half the price.

kaitlinsmommy
07-30-2003, 11:35 PM
I have been taking DD to Gymboree Play since she was 5 months & she LOVES it!!! It's true they do sing a lot of songs with "Gymboree" in it but I don't mind. Kaitlin doesn't know the difference. She screams & laughs when we sing & dance and I like her being around other kids. While the "parent discussion" is nothing like the BBB boards, it is also nice for me to spend time with other adults and discuss baby things.

jojo2324
07-30-2003, 11:40 PM
I wish I had had enough notice to try a trial class. I got a card in the mail a few days before the classes started, so I just signed up. I don't know anybody else really with babies, so I wanted this to be a way for Gannon to be around other kids. Because I live in a resort community, and I am a year-round resident, I got the "local" deal: 9 classes for $180. Now I'm thinking that's a big rip.

He seems to have a good time there, but most the time I am trying not to grimace. Strictly my personal opinion, but it seems very cheesy to me. Also, I am guessing that the instructor is very much into music, given the tattoo across her shoulder of a music staff, and the operatic way in which she sings "Clean up, clean up...."

The one thing that REALLY bothers me about the class is the length. Either expand the time period, or cut down on the different activities. We are in the crawlers/walkers class, which I think spans 6-18 months. It could be indicative of the age, but to throw some very enticing maracas and bells out there, and then take them away 3 minutes later so that we can move on to the next activity, isn't really doing anything for the kids. Just let them run around and do whatever! It's hard for ME to structure my 12-month old's time, so I can't imagine the Gymboree folks are doing a much better job.

Okay, I think you know my thoughts on Gymboree! I don't like it, but again, he does seem to have a good time.