PDA

View Full Version : Trying to plan for babys arrival need some help/suggestions

Grace_underfire
07-31-2003, 11:05 AM
HI Ladies,

I am 31 weeks and a BIG planner. I would feel so much better if I could start planning for the arrival of my little one even if I still have 9 weeks to go (I guess it could be less too!)

My question is how did you get ready.

Are there any posts here on what to pack for the hospital and what to have ready before baby comes?

I think before 34 weeks I want to have all my TO DO lists ready and pack lists ready and then from 34 weeks to 36 weeks accomplish those.

I don't know if that is too much... I am just trying to get organized... do you have any ideas or any tips on what I need for sure for both home and the hospital... I know all you expereinced moms will have loads of practical info!

Thanks!

mharling
07-31-2003, 11:56 AM
There are some great posts here that will give you what you're looking for. Here's a recent one:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID30/2208.html

You should be able to find some others if you search the subject field using words like hospital, packing, etc.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

peanut4us
07-31-2003, 12:46 PM
One thing to consider. I can't remember who suggested it here, but it's where we got the idea from.

When DH goes home to shower and you and your little one are still at the hospital, have DH leave a new outgoing message on your answering machine. Just have him give the name, details, and that you will not be taking calls or visitors for a little while because you are bonding with your new family.

It was the best thing we did. It ended up being extra good because DD had to go back into the hospital at 5 days... so we could avoid all the well-intentioned, but annoying, questions! Good luck.

LucyG
07-31-2003, 12:49 PM
You are smart to get ready early! We were the same way, and our baby came two weeks early. I was SOOOO glad that we had made our master "to-do" list when I was about 34 weeks. The only thing we didn't mark off before the baby came was to have a will drawn up. I would search the archives here, as there have been some great responses to questions like this.

amp
07-31-2003, 01:50 PM
I am also a huge planner! I would do a search on previous threads regarding what to pack, how to prepare, etc like one of the replies here noted. I really benefited from the wisdom I read here. Also, DH and I prepared a number of meals before the baby came and froze them for future use (grilled chicken breasts, chopped up grilled chicken, burritos, lasagne, baked potatoes, etc.) This was a huge help during the first few weeks home so we didn't have to cook. In fact, we are still grilling/cooking stuff and freezing it since it is so convenient and I still don't have time or energy to cook!

stillplayswithbarbies
07-31-2003, 07:22 PM
Planning ahead . . .
Make sure you know where to park at the hospital and make sure your vehicle is not too tall for the parking garage. :) We had made several trial runs to the hospital and knew the fastest way to get there, but we hadn't considered parking. She was almost born in the car.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

KathyO
07-31-2003, 09:10 PM
ITA on the suggestion of preparing and freezing as many meals as you can, and also stocking up on a few frozen pizzas, or whatever your commercially-premade-food-of-choice might be. I would also add a suggestion for some bran muffins, to help gently coax the post-partum colon back into action!

Also, make sure that the baby's change table is completely unpacked and ready to go. Take the diapers out of their package, the shrink-wrap off of the wipes, whatever like that, so that when you walk in with the baby, you don't have to fumble with anything. Likewise make up the crib/bassinette/whatever.

HTH!

KathyO
A fellow raging-compulsive...

zen_bliss
07-31-2003, 10:55 PM
after you wade through those archived 'what to pack' threads, you might want to look up the 'what to score from the hospital' threads :) thanks to the mommies on this board i was both well-prepared going in, and well-supplied coming home.

-another compulsive planner/list-maker

farsk
08-01-2003, 08:49 AM
Grace,

You MUST have a sign on your door....one side that lets others know that you are asleep and to not disturb....the other that lets people know that you're awake and that they can knock!

This has been a lifesaver to me, especially since Ellen is the first grandchild on both sides of the family and that some in our families don't have the biggest grip on boundries or the concept of "calling before you come". Case in point, my husband was out in our yard while Ellen and I were sleeping and his parents drove up. He said to them, "you're supposed to call before you come" and they replied, "we tried, but no one answered." DH said, "that's because they're sleeping". DUH!

Good Luck!

-Shannon
Mom to Ellen 7/23/2003