PDA

View Full Version : Swing sleeping?

cvharris
08-01-2003, 12:42 PM
We are cosleeping (using a snuggle nest) at night and I have a hard time getting DS to sleep during the day. He is tired, but he will usually only nap after breastfeeding...and will only stay sleeping if he is touching either me or DH. So during the day that mostly involves me nursing him while sitting down and having him doze off on the my brest friend pillow around my waist. He will occasionally wake up, look at me, and go back to sleep.

I have ordered the Weissbluth book, and am waiting for it, so I hope that will help. I've tried leaving my clothing by him while he sleeps but that doesn't work. Recently, I've discovered that he will sleep in his cradle swing. So I usually pop him in there once or twice a day when I know he is tired and he will doze for 1-2 hours.

Is it bad to leave a baby in a swing for that long? I have one of those snuzzlers in there for support so it is rather snug and cozy but I worry about flat head or that he might aspirate on his spit up or something. (yes, I'm an overanxious first time mom) I also feel bad that I'm leaving him in a contraption and not spending time with him.

What are your thoughts about swing sleeping?

lizamann
08-01-2003, 01:04 PM
Nora is sleeping in her swing as I type this. She is very similar to your son in her habits. This is the only way I can get in my shower! And then because she's still usually asleep after that, I use the time to get stuff done (okay, that usually means reading these boards, but we're working towards being more productive!) It used to bother me (as an adherent of attachment parenting) until I realized that she is in physical contact with me pretty much the whole rest of the day. I figure 3 hours in the swing is nothing compared to the 21 she's in arms, a sling, or sleeping next to me. We all need a break once in a while!

And really what's the difference if she's in a swing or in a crib? There may be safety issues, but if you keep her nearby that shouldn't be a problem.

Beth

peanut4us
08-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Weisbluth is anti-swing sleeping. We do Weisbluth now, but DD is 4 months old.

Up until she was about 3.5 months old, most of her naps were in her swing. If not, then she would only sleep for 15-30 minutes. You do what you have to do! Son't worry about it. If you don't leave him in there even when he's awake, I think it will be fine.

MartiesMom2B
08-01-2003, 02:09 PM
We do Weissbluth and we let DD sleep in swing. He says its ok as long as its not in motion. When it seems like DD is in deep sleep, we'll turn swing off and she'll stay a sleep. Sometimes she wakes up and I put the swing back on. I don't think its a problem.

Plus don't feel bad about leaving your son in the swing. I'm sure he'd much rather be sleeping. There will be plenty of time to play later.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

kaitlinsmommy
08-01-2003, 02:14 PM
I agree with the previous posts. I felt guilty too (it certainly comes with motherhood) but your baby needs to sleep and you need a break. If he falls asleep in the swing, I'm sure he is content. You just do what you gotta do.

kransden
08-01-2003, 02:46 PM
That was my child to a T! The swing was the only thing that kept me sane. There is a big difference between letting your child get some much needed sleep and you keeping your sanity, and parking your child there for hours and ignoring it. My dd still will sleep on me for an hour or 2 if I let her at 9 months. We also cosleep and use a snuggle nest.

Karin
Katie 10/24/02

AndrewsMommy
08-01-2003, 03:39 PM
I have a swing sleeper too. He's a great sleeper at night in his crib. He sleeps for 10 hours. But, he won't take naps in his crib. Sometimes he'll sleep 2-3 hours in his swing. I also turn it off and he stays asleep. I felt guilty for a while, but I figure it's more important for him to get his rest. We're both much hapier that way. By the way, I also have a cradle swing. We love it!

Tina
Mom to Andrew 3/31/03

August Mom
08-01-2003, 04:15 PM
DS was a swing sleeper for naps until 8 months or so. He refused to sleep in his crib during the day, although he slept well there at night. So, he generally took his afternoon nap in the swing and any other naps on my lap. We are still working on napping in the crib but he has been more consistently taking two naps in the crib. However, he still likes to sleep in my lap. For the most part, we only used the swing for naps and when DS was fussy and nothing else worked. Don't feel guilty about using the swing. Just do what works for you and your baby.

StaceyKim
08-01-2003, 07:33 PM
I think you should do whatever works especially in the beginning. DS can now fall asleep without the help of a swing and I only use it occasionally. He is on the Weissbluth schedule too.

josephsmom
08-02-2003, 12:02 PM
I agree that you need to do whatever works with your baby. If that includes occasional naps in the swing, so be it. BUT, there might be something else you can try. You mentioned that you nurse him to sleep while you're sitting up with him on a pillow in your lap. He must wake up when you get up to reposition him. Have you tried to nurse in the side-lying position? That might work better for you. You can nurse him to sleep while you're both lying down, and sneak away when he's solidly asleep. Try it! It might work well for you, and you may get some bonus naps for yourself, too :-)!

Edited to say: In case you need help figuring out how to nurse lying down, there was recently a long thread on the topic. Check it out!

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

kristine_elen
08-02-2003, 08:28 PM
Our baby wouldn't nap in the daytime in his crib till he was about 4 or 5 months old and our ped said it was OK to let him sleep in swing. I have read posts saying it can cause breathing problems or something, but at least so far, we haven't noticed any problems and our ped, again, said he didn't think it was bad as long as that's the only way he'd get rest.
Good luck with Weisbluth. That method seemed too harsh to me and I know the American Acad of Pediatrics isn't a fan either, but to each his own! (We liked Ferber and Jodi Mindell, although our baby simply started sleeping thru the night and napping in crib on his own, w/o any drastic measures. I don't know how old your baby is, but you might just need to wait a bit. By the way, my ped said NOT to do any "LET THEM CRY" method till baby is at least 6 or 7 months old, before that, they simply don't understand and are just miserable. Poor little things!)
Best of luck to you!