PDA

View Full Version : Car Choices?

DDowning
08-01-2003, 02:41 PM
I currently have a 2001 325i. I love my Beamer but for the last several days, I've been driving DH's Explorer and to be honest I like the convenience of the extra height. Not having to bend down to strap in the infant carrier or lift and scoop the sroller into the trunk has been nice. So much so that I'm thinking of trading in my car and get an SUV. I'm not looking for something massive or a pig on gas (DH wants me to consider the Expedition, no thanks). Even though I like the Explorer for the height, the suspension is kind of rough and I don't like how it drives which is well, like a truck. I'm thinking of test driving the new Lexus 330 which has that cool rear view camera option but anyone have other suggestions we should consider? Our budget is pretty liberal so any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance!!!

trumansmom
08-01-2003, 02:45 PM
Have you considered a minivan? I was all set on getting an Explorer until I realized how much gas I would be using. The sales guy literally brought the minivan to my house and took my car in order to get me to try it. I was so opposed to the concept. Anyway, I've had it for about 6 months and LOVE it! I have a Ford Windstar (My DH is dead set on only driving American cars.) Anyway, I know they aren't fun or sporty, but they are super convenient and very easy to use with a child.

HTH-
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

pritchettzoo
08-01-2003, 03:23 PM
My husband's boss and his wife test drove the Lexus 330 the day it came out (they were at the dealership for some sort of service on his car) and drove it home. She absolutely loves it and he's now thinking of trading in his sedan (also a Lexus) for one too.

We have a Four-Runner, the ugly step-sibling of the Lexus... ;o) I really like it, but I have never driven the Lexus. (When me or my husband make partner, then we can test-drive the fun cars!)

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

toomanystrollers
08-01-2003, 04:39 PM
If I could have my choice, I would go with the new SUV by Volvo. There's one at my dd's preschool and it's incredible.

Have fun,
Pam

brubeck
08-01-2003, 05:33 PM
I have a Toyota Highlander, but if money had been no object I probably would have ended up with an Acura MDX. They are so nice and they have the third row seats too! I also know a bunch of people who like the Mercedes M Class (not the early ones, they have a lot fo bugs).

The new Volkswagon SUV looks interesting too. If I were shopping now I'd be test driving it. I haven't heard from anyone who owns it yet though.

StaceyKim
08-01-2003, 06:58 PM
okay, i love the porsche cayenne, volvo suv (and the station wagon)

suz
08-01-2003, 07:33 PM
Another vote for the MDX. Got it about a month ago and just love it.

-Susan

bcblue
08-01-2003, 09:42 PM
I test drove the lx330, awesome, but to carlike for me. (It was to low) The GX 470 is REALLY nice.
The Mercedes 350 SUV I didn't love, and cannot come close to the 330 in quality.
The MDX is great! But in New York you can't lease them anymore(along with almost every other car)
The Volvo is ultra safe, and that is what you are paying for, but it seemed like a lot of money, for what you actually get. The inside was kind of plasticy(is that a word?)
My husband just totaled a BMW X5, and I think that truck saved his life. So I am between am X5 and the gx470. I don't know if this blabbering helps.
What camera option does the 330 have? I'm curious....hummmm???

bcblue
08-01-2003, 09:47 PM
I forgot to mention....
I think that BMW is running a special on the x5.
And my DH test drove the Cayenne and said that it handles great and is really powerful. And all that stuff that men say about cars. But I don't think I need that for the supermarket/mall parking lot or sitting in traffic on the LIE......

mharling
08-02-2003, 12:01 AM
We just got a Honda Pilot and absolutely love it!!! It's on the same platform as the Honda Odyssey and Acura MDX. It has a third row seat that folds completely flat and in general, feels very roomy. I really like how it handles and it got a 5-star safety rating from the NHTSA. I copied and pasted this from consumer reports:

"The Pilot manages to combine the best of a wagon, SUV, and minivan at an affordable price. It's a car-based SUV like the upscale Acura MDX. The Pilot's a bit roomier, though, and less costly. It's currently our top-pick SUV. It shares the MDX's smooth, powerful V6, five-speed automatic, and full-time AWD system. The Pilot delivers spirited performance yet respectable fuel economy; a comfortable ride; and secure, responsive handling. Road noise was rather pronounced, our only qualm. The standard 50/50 split third-row seat brings seating to eight and folds neatly into the floor, creating ample cargo space. Access is easy, and fit and finish are impeccable. Crash-test results are impressive."

No, I don't work for Honda; I just really, really like the Pilot! Definitely worth considering.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18